Season -2022

CBB

FNG
Well I just realized odds are 34% or maybe less. I have 1 point for MT. Rep at FWP told me the non res big game combo odds have been going down since 2018 and last year were 34%. Fuel prices and Inflation may change that but I doubt by much.
Guess if it's meant to be it will happen!

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Well I just realized odds are 34% or maybe less. I have 1 point for MT. Rep at FWP told me the non res big game combo odds have been going down since 2018 and last year were 34%. Fuel prices and Inflation may change that but I doubt by much.
Guess if it's meant to be it will happen!

1 point is going to be no man’s land this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: CBB

CBB

FNG
Yeah I only have myself to blame. Should have bought the extra point when I had the chance.

Like Sharp, I'm finally making this happen this year at 50. Looking forward to it after so many years of wanting to but "having" to put it off. This year I'm driving from Florida to Colorado to make the attempt.
I am in the same boat. I am turning 50 this coming July, and I am rewarding myself with an elk hunt, for the first time. I wanted to do it many years ago, almost done it one time with other members of another forum but we didn't make it.
These last couple of years, so many plans have been canceled, postponed, modified, due to covid. Hopefuly nothing will interfere with my elk plans this September!

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Will be 45 by the time my first elk hunt gets here this year. It was bumped last year due to the fires. Just hoping all goes well and we get to make the trip! Looking forward to seeing some fantastic country and bringing home some meat!!

fatlander

WKR
You can buy one also when you apply so you will have 2 going into the draw. Unless that is the one you are counting. Good luck 2 you.

Yep well aware of that. Thanks. Having to buy a point at application kind of sucks. You’re going in to know you’re not drawing this year just so you can have points in the future. These next couple years are going to be a fork in the road for people, chase points and have no chance of drawing for a few years or go in with zero every year which sucks for planning.

2 is 1.
1 is none.
0 is better than 1 and maybe even 2.
3 is the only category that’ll be 100% this year.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I'm more than likely going to have to move away from Wyoming this year for work :(

So my plan is to get up here as much as I can for Archery in September and maybe a week in later rifle season in October. I'm so bummed...I've been spoiled being able to walk outside and start hunting for the last few years. I shed some tears over this decision, and it's killing me...but it's what's best for my family right now.

Turkey hunt in about a month, and maybe a nice fishing trip to Cabo over summer
Wow, that's definitely a tough pill to swallow!!!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
First elk hunt at 46 last fall and was blessed to kill a monster on public in the Bob. Taking my 17 year old daughter on youth cow hunt in WY in October (assuming she draws). Hoping to pass on the addiction to my second born in the Big Horns.
We are going to need to see a picture of this!!!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m just curious, but are there any guided hunts that you can buy a tag for and go or is it all draw based tags in the western US? I apologize for what might be a stupid question, but all I have hunted for the past 30 or so years since I was young is whitetails in south Alabama. If it is tag based, what is the best state considering draw success, decent elk or muleys, and ease of building points as a non-state resident? Thank you for any assistance you may have.
There are places you can buy tags and just go hunt. It's a lot to explain via a message. Look at landowner tags through outfitters and then Colorado also has ranching for wildlife options, which would get you what you are looking for.

Laramie

WKR
Taking my son on his first elk hunt in Wyoming this fall as long as he draws. General with 4.5 so should draw. I haven't been this excited in many years to get on the mountain. I applied for about a 30% draw on a cow tag so we may both be hunting.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taking my son on his first elk hunt in Wyoming this fall as long as he draws. General with 4.5 so should draw. I haven't been this excited in many years to get on the mountain. I applied for about a 30% draw on a cow tag so we may both be hunting.

Awesome!!

I am 62 this year and am fortunate to live in CO. I have hunted three different elk units over the past few years, have had opportunities, scored once and been so close several other times and that is what keeps me going. In that time, drew a unit tag twice and the rest were over the counter/leftover, all DIY. My constant companion these days is my 27 year old nephew (no sons and daughters have no interest) who loves to hunt, and we have lots of fun. He really listens and is coming into his own as a hunter. Life is pretty good!

I’ve decided at 53, to make this my first year to go Elk hunting. Been putting it off for too long. Work, kids, and money for gear…finally said the hell with it and making it happen
That’s awesome man! Go get after it!