Seasons right around corner.. what you shooting?

Kentucky

WKR
Seasons is almost here.

What did you guys settle in on? Bow, arrow weight, broadhead type, and the game you are chasing with it?

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR
Going after elk in KY and white tails.

Currently DAS 17”, DAS longbow limbs, 52# my draw, 580grain centershots, 250 grain VPA 3 blades.

new toelke will be here in a few days.. gonna tune arrows and hopefully get it in the field.
Whistler 50#@28, now sure on arrow weight just yet. Maybe 515 with a 2 blade Zwickey No mercy..
would 515 grains with 2 blade be heavy enough for elk out to 30-40 yards? The 2 blades seem to better for me.

Last edited:
I'm shooting my Southwest Spyder XL that's 45.5# @ 29.5".

The arrow is about 635 grains, a 2117 shaft cut to 30.5" with 5" feathers, standard insert, and a 135gr Zwickey Delta with a 100gr adapter.

Unless a miracle happens I'll just be after MN whitetail.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Galaxy sear ILF riser with long tradtech black max 40lb limbs. Comes in at 47lb at my 31” draw. Black eagle deep impact shafts and day six arrows will both be in service this fall for various game. 200 grains up front, both come in around 550-560 grains total. Shooting 170+ FPS. Trad vanes was what I settled on due to convenience.

I plan to take it on antelope in three weeks, East and west river (SD) whitetail or mule deer. Possibly Canada goose if I get some fluflus before season. And every small game that is in range.

I picked up a VXR 28 (first bow).
Working on my setup and mostly have my pins dialed.
Need more practice before I feel comfortable shooting at game this year.
Arrow weight 416 grains, 68.5 lbs, 276 fps.
Haven't decided on broadhead yet. Looking a Slick Trick Vipertrick or QAD.

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR

Congratulations on getting into archery.

With all that additional power you have you should tack another 100 grains on that arrow.. give you more confidence when you hit shoulder..those viper tricks look nice, I prefer a solid head with a few more grains, something I know won’t bend or break on a hard impact.

after a few years of driving racks at 40, and you think “this is to easy”, grab a recurve, a plaid shirt, and pack lunch, and you will get another level of self reliant satisfaction.

Shooting a custom pse DNA with evolve cams on it. Weighs 3.7 lbs bare, 90% letoff, and ibo around 350fps. Easton fmjs, rage trypans chasing whitetail unfortunately instead of elk like I was supposed to this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

For sure, especially the red/black checked flannel with some jeans. Throw back to the good old days!

Going back and forth with weight. More on the speed camp for now, my draw is only 27.5", so I have speed limitations from the get go.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Big Stick Assassin 64” about 52 lbs at my 29.5” draw length. Shooting gold tip hunter xt’s at 530 grains total, 100 grain insert and 125 gr Magnus stinger fletched with 3 4” feathers. Will only be hunting whitetail this year. Would like to get a pig hunt in somewhere, but probably won’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
We turned the corner first of August in Colorado, personally, my first season opened yesterday, went walking my Toelke Whistler looking for sheep. 47@31", Black Eagle Instincts with Valkyrie and Cutthroats.

For sure, especially the red/black checked flannel with some jeans. Throw back to the good old days!

Going back and forth with weight. More on the speed camp for now, my draw is only 27.5", so I have speed limitations from the get go.
Speed isn’t everything lol. It does help some stuff though.

Good for you starting. Doesn’t take long to get hooked. FWIW I have always shot slick trick, and they are a great flying compact head. I’ve always preferred a 4 blade. But those exodus are about as bomb proof as they come. More durable than the slick trick and fly just as good if not better.

OP
Kentucky

Kentucky

WKR
We turned the corner first of August in Colorado, personally, my first season opened yesterday, went walking my Toelke Whistler looking for sheep. 47@31", Black Eagle Instincts with Valkyrie and Cutthroats.

you like those instincts? I had issues the them busting at the nock while stumping. I also wasn’t much on that outsert. What spine are you using?

oldgoat

WKR
you like those instincts? I had issues the them busting at the nock while stumping. I also wasn’t much on that outsert. What spine are you using?
So far they aren't bad, have had some pretty hard hits with no breakage at the nock, broke a couple at the back of the outserts on the ones I made up with the stock outserts, but made up most of them with Ethics Archery insert/outserts, also changed all the nocks to Bohning so that may be why I haven't had issues with nock end breaking. Heard bad things about Black Eagle nocks, really didn't want to buy them because of that, but I have a 31" draw and their 600 spine flew good and were long though which is a hard thing to find in 600 spine

So far they aren't bad, have had some pretty hard hits with no breakage at the nock, broke a couple at the back of the outserts on the ones I made up with the stock outserts, but made up most of them with Ethics Archery insert/outserts, also changed all the nocks to Bohning so that may be why I haven't had issues with nock end breaking. Heard bad things about Black Eagle nocks, really didn't want to buy them because of that, but I have a 31" draw and their 600 spine flew good and were long though which is a hard thing to find in 600 spine

not to completely take over the conversation, but I’ve found black Eagle nocks to be sub-par. Their arrows have been awesome for me, but their nocks require such a large serving diameter that I can’t stand having to mess with getting them to fit, and they’re the only nocks I’ve had to change center serving regardless of string builder. Bohning nocks have been my favorite, by far. Likely going to buy a bunch of them for both trad and compound arrows so I can keep running black Eagle arrows.

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
Holmmade River Runner 54#@29.5. 625gr arrows with grizzly broadheads. Been hunting antelope and will hunt deer and elk next weekend.

Bow: McBroom hybrid “longbow” (It’s only 56”). 47# @ 29”
Arrows: Easton 6mm FMJ’s with 50 grain insert 30 1/8”
Broadhead: 175 gr Steel Force premium wide cuts

Going after elk with this setup in 2 weeks!

Last edited: