Seating Depth, what is the best?

Wapiti1

WKR
This article has some interesting info in it. https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/03/29/bullet-jump-load-development/

I don't chase seating depth and have never had an issue getting a satisfactory load. I just load to max mag length and work from there. The match rifles that I have built also didn't have any special specs except neck diameter. But those were single shot rifles.

Curious what the folks here think.

Jeremy

Ohearchai

FNG
Look for a node, do a seating depth test to see what it likes and be done. Don't chase lands. My rifles are for prs type matches and in the past ftr.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I usually call the bullet manufacturers and ask when they think it's best for a jump. I've always gotten an answer and I've never had to deviate from it to get good accuracy.

RumLover

FNG
Seating depth is one way to tune the harmonics of your barrel for max accuracy. You can also do it with a barrel tuner like the old Browning Boss system. Like others here, I start with a ladder test with the bullet seated to the factory recommended OAL. Once I find the velocity node I want, then I start playing with seating depth. Loading a few at the lands, 0.020 off lands, 0.040, 0.060 and 0.080. One of those will be clearly more accurate than the others. If I don't hit an accuracy node that I really like with one of those (rare, but it happens), I take the best of the test load groups and then try again +/- 0.010" from what was the better grouping OAL.

Berger hybrids & hunters and Barnes tend to like more jump and I often find an accuracy node in the 0.050-0.060 off the lands range. Hornady ELD's, Berger VLD's and Sierra tend to like it close to the lands and I usually find an accuracy node in the 0-0.020 range. I have tested the A-tip and they liked to jump 0.050-0.060 unlike the other Hornady offerings.

Hope that helps, but if you're getting the accuracy you are looking for with factory recommended OAL's, that's all that matters.

disclaimer: I haven’t used this method before but it makes a lot of sense to me. I’m going to try this whenever I get back to load development.

Last edited:
Reactions: pnw

tdhanses

WKR
That article is exactly what I’ve seen with my own testing using Berger bullets, I’ve come to believe they love a lot of jump. This has been true in my 6.5cm, 270wsm and 300wsm.