Seating die

willtim

WKR
I'm in the market for a high quality bullet seating die for a 7mm RM. Recommendations? Thanks

rayporter

WKR
the Redding works very well but i like the Wilson better. get the micrometer top.
the problem is you need the arbor press, too.
i can seat bullets unbelievably fast and accurate with the Wilson. a little trick to speed but you will learn it.

if you get a Wilson with out the micrometer top measure the seating stem with a caliper and write down the length for reference.

rootacres

WKR
Forster Micrometer is pretty slick

I used an RCBS before this one, doesn't micro adjust but is still very good quality.

4 considerations:
1) Concentricity...how well and consistent is the bullet seated in relation to the bore axis
2) Seating depth...how consistent and accurate is the seating depth
3) Seating stem...does it deform the bullet point during seating, are different stems available for different style bullets
4) Seating pressure...how consistent is seating pressure/neck tension (dies with arbor press)

83cj-7

WKR
I own all of the above mentioned dies. Hands down the best is the Wilson chamber type bullet seater with micrometer top. Yes, you need an arbor press, but it’s worth it. That said, no seating die is going to seat the exact same every time if the neck tension of your brass is all over the place. A lesson I have learned over the years and high is why I have tried every die known to man.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Redding, I have the comp seaters in .223, 6BR & .308, been using them for 20+ years with no complaints.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I own all of the above mentioned dies. Hands down the best is the Wilson chamber type bullet seater with micrometer top. Yes, you need an arbor press, but it’s worth it. That said, no seating die is going to seat the exact same every time if the neck tension of your brass is all over the place. A lesson I have learned over the years and high is why I have tried every die known to man.

What are your recommended brass prep steps to get great neck tension and consistent necks? Mandels and neck turning?

Anneal as the first step for more consistent neck tension.
Turn the necks if neck wall thickness varies by more than 0.001"
Use an expander mandrel instead of a conventional expander in a sizing die.

I like the arbor press and LE Wilson seater because it is so portable and you can measure the pressure at start and peak of each bullet seating.
The arbor press can be equipped with a gauge so you know whether any bullet is being seated with a substantially different pressure. Also the arbor press is portable...you could seat bullets long, then make adjustments at the range if you want.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Anneal as the first step for more consistent neck tension.
Turn the necks if neck wall thickness varies by more than 0.001"
Use an expander mandrel instead of a conventional expander in a sizing die.

I like the arbor press and LE Wilson seater because it is so portable and you can measure the pressure at start and peak of each bullet seating.
The arbor press can be equipped with a gauge so you know whether any bullet is being seated with a substantially different pressure. Also the arbor press is portable...you could seat bullets long, then make adjustments at the range if you want.

Ok, thanks for input.

So I'm guessing you:

1) Anneal all of your brass.

2) Measure outside of case necks for variation.

3) Sort out any case neck that varies > .001 and put those in a pile to neck turn.

4) Expander mandrel after sizing (instead of expander in sizer)

5) Seat bullet

B23

WKR
Redding Comp seating die user here as well.

Remember, that sleeve in the Redding Comp Seater isn't heat treated so if Redding maybe doesn't make their comp seater for a wildcat you have but they do for something in its parent case you can have that sliding sleeve reamed with the reamer the smith used to cut your chamber and you'll then have a comp seater for your wildcat cartridge. I have a few this was done to and they work great.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a Redding for my 7mag, some time ago now I run Redding for everything. Very happy.

sized with a Redding die and seated with a Redding micrometer with 2 -1/3 turns when seating and almost no run out on the finished product. <.005

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use the Redding Micrometer but have switched to the Whidden micrometer seating die with custom bullet specific inserts. Very happy with my dies.