Seating Dies for ALL Bullets

Is there one seating die that will work for all bullet types? I recently installed the mountain tactical bottom metal and would like to test some new bullets since I can finally seat bullets closer to the lands than what factory Tikka mags will allow. I'm currently using an older set of RCBS dies that don't have the option to add/swap components to accommodate various bullet types/lengths. I understand that some people are having trouble with RCBS dies and the longer Berger bullets will bottom out in the seating die. Will a new set of RCBS dies do that trick, or do I need something with more options and adjustments?

Ram94

WKR
You can drill out the center of your seating stem so that bullets aren't bottoming out, or purchase a die with a VLD stem.

I’ve never personally gone the drilling route, but did get a Forster Micrometer searing die and it’s been great on long ELD-M bullets.

Last edited:
OP
ndbwhunter
I've read about that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the seating stem adjustment basically just moves that part of the die that contacts the ogive, so drilling it out shouldn't affect the die in anyway?? Anyone know what size drill bit to use for this?

Ram94

WKR
I've read about that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the seating stem adjustment basically just moves that part of the die that contacts the ogive, so drilling it out shouldn't affect the die in anyway?? Anyone know what size drill bit to use for this?
That is correct. From what I know about it, just work up slowly until you can see that the stem is making full contact with the ogive (not bottoming out on the tip). You can also color the bullet with a sharpie and spin the bullet inside the stem. You will know when you've got it just right when there is a uniformed ring around the bullet where the stem is contacting.