Second Jobs

Tsnider

WKR
glass blowing for me. i make pipes, wine glasses, whatever people want to pay me for really. been slacking this past year since i got a raise and now it sounds like im getting another huge raise so we will see. overtime just pays a shit load.

it is nice having a backup though in case they cut the OT. and on a day im really cranking i can make a 100 bucks an hour in pipes for the local smoke shop.

I'm doing seasonal work for the FS as a trail maintenance guy, this year I also started helping out a local outfitter to learn the ropes and gain experience. While I don't get paid for the outfitter gig, I have access to his animals, property and tents as needed so I'm not going to complain, especially since it's only about a 25 minute drive from the house.

HookUp

WKR
Part time fishing guide, full time state employee. One problem is beginning of fall salmon is during elk archery.

elkduds

WKR
My other jobs have been ski instructor, atv instructor, writer, DJ, roofer's assistant, restaurant work, golf course work. Had a friend who tuned pianos, $$$$. I think you can work online teaching foreigners to improve their English. Pilot car or other driving gigs?

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a toolpusher on a workover rig. 14, 24hr shifts, 14 off.

Thanks for all the input

These are dark times for a toolpusher. I'm on a drillship, but I'm working 28 and 28, and I'm really lucky to still have a job. I've been surviving the cuts since 2014 and they have taken nearly a third of my pay. I like the offshore money, but I do it for the time off as well and would hate to be working during my time off.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The day job is building big fancy custom homes. Living in a destination vacation town on Lake Michigan has been key for my niche.

The secondary jobs include; Charter boat captain in Lake Michigan, Got my 50 ton gross Masters almost 20 years ago. Tournament fishing ruined my love for it though, now my boat gets very little time of mine.
USSA & PSIA Level 3 Alpine ski coach/Instructor. Coaching ski racing is very rewarding minus the racers parents you are forced to deal with.
Freelance writing, including here on Rokslide! I was first asked to write almost ten years ago for a well known Whitetail magazine and I declined. I didn't think I had the skills to put my passion on paper and my HS and College English profs would probably agree. I still decline most offers but when Ryan Avery calls, I pick up the phone.

The only one I actively pursue any longer is the writing. There are only so many hours in the day to get things done.

gumbl3

WKR
I work 24/48 off as a firefighter. On my days off I'm either teaching or framing houses. Work my tail off til hunting season then I'm gone.

MtnOyster

WKR
Ever think about helping a farmer? Not sure what type are in your area but i work a full time job as a pipefitter and i farm full time also and i can always use some help on the farm but its seasonal (spring and fall) and mechanic work never ends on farm machinery new or old plus if you can work on equipment you can prolly operate it or learn to fairly easily, all it takes is driving up to their place and asking or catch one in the field working, we are generally pretty nice and easy going people.

OP
Steepandeep1

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
These are dark times for a toolpusher. I'm on a drillship, but I'm working 28 and 28, and I'm really lucky to still have a job. I've been surviving the cuts since 2014 and they have taken nearly a third of my pay. I like the offshore money, but I do it for the time off as well and would hate to be working during my time off.

Dark times for sure, a year ago at this time I was managing a ten rig workover company, making almost 40% more thank I am now. Time off is definitely a big motivator for me, but making some extra money for a while to offset the big cuts my wife and I have taken would help out. Ive wanted the 14/14 rotation for a long time, (although 28/28 would be pretty awesome too) and I don't want to lose it. I'm hoping I can find something I enjoy doing to supplement a little income until fall. Hope things are going turn around rig wise, it's a tough job market right now. Offshore has always peaked my interest, if I ever get that opportunity I'd have to jump on it.

530Chukar

WKR
Municipal firefighter for my normal job. Luckily my department has enough overtime that I can pickup several extra shifts each week if I wanted in order to pay for all the hunting and gear.

I have thought about this for my off season I am an outfitter so I have down time from thanksgiving until snow flies in December, I work a few weeks sleigh rides then once the snow isn't that good, such as this year I didnt work from feb 4 until it got warm which this year was April 15ish. Although I was selling hunts and stuff I could have hd a second job in this time but it's hard getting hired anywhere for a few months

Side hustles are a thing of beauty. If you have a passion for something and can gain the skills necessary to sell it, it can be really rewarding.

I've always been really into mountain biking so I learned what made bikes ride the way they do and started making custom frames. It was always a meant to be a side job and I kept it until i got too busy with other work. It paid for all my expenses within the sport and made me ton of great memories and friends.

Now I make and sell high quality knives on the side. They have actually been making me more per hour than my full time gig.

More of a long term invest but dog breeding has turned out to be to be pretty profitable for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm managing some digital marketing for two local nursing homes. With one of my projects is trying to hire employees for entry level jobs by managing their ads online. One of the homes also has 60 mini storage units too so I take the calls and manage their receivables as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I generally work three 12 hour shifts every week in primary job as a nurse. Leaves me 4 days a week to do other things. I am also in the national guard so I drill one weekend a month and pick up training classes throughout the year for a little extra income. All my national guard income goes straight into savings and retirement accounts. I also work a few days a month at a local mom and pop sporting goods store. Pays cash and I get to sell guns and bows to people. Usually just use the hours there to pay for gear.

KJH

WKR
I have rental properties and started a small firearm transfer business. Neither of those would keep you busy full time, but they are well worth the nominal effort for me. Together they add up on my time.

When the right deal comes along, I'll flip a house... I just keep my eyes open and stuff pops up from time to time. If you're handy (sounds like you would be) doing this would keep you busy for a few months and the return is wonderful if you can buy it right. You're really working on your own schedule...