Second Jobs

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone work second jobs for extra income? I work 14 days on, 14 days off so I have a fair amount of free time. I have a decent salary but am always looking to make extra money. I'd like to get a second job or start my own small business but it seems like there is a couple of anything a guy can think of in the area. So my question is does anyone have a second job or their own business on the side? Just curious what guys are doing to make their extra money. Thanks in advance for any input.
Cody

JLH208

WKR
Curious what your job is. My work schedule is changing a lot right now, once it settles down I may try to pick up a couple hours at my local archery shop. Just help clean and organize and learn more about bows. Little bit of extra income and also for fun and knowledge. My brother works the same job as me just on a better more organized shift, second job is a part time fire fighter. Soon my schedule should be 2 on 2 off 3 on 3 off, if the archery shop doesn't work out I still plan to find something extra.

- Jesse

My second job is teaching motorcycle safety. Can pick what weekends I work and pays well. It is my fun/hunting money. Like can set my own schedule.

I would recommend starting a small business in something that you have a passion for...or you have a strong skill set that would benefit.
Run it part time in your days off and maybe eventually it turns into your full time job.
There is something amazing about working for yourself doing something you love...you end up being more successful than the guys that are doing it just for a job.

hodgeman

WKR
My second gig is freelance writing. The pay isn't great, but getting paid for something I'm going to do anyway isn't a bad thing. It's spotty and I sure don't rely on it to keep food on the table but it pays for the odd toy now and then.

If you are going to work a second gig- make it something you like doing regardless of the pay. No one ever laid on their death bed wishing they'd spent more time at work.

I work shifts here and there as a part time firefighter. Pays for all my hunting expenses.

Get your CDL. Pick up some hours in a sporting store. Start a small business out of a hobby or something you have always wanted to pick up. Find a ranch that needs help. Check out the staffing agencies if there are any near you. Check the papers. Maybe find a contractor that would take some help when you are home. Lots of stuff you could do but you may need to ask yourself what you actually want to do.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a paper route years ago. Paid about $800 a month. Every day unless you some how convinced someone to take your route plus theirs. I'd rather sell drugs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I make decent money but I always strive to make more and I don't want to do what I do forever. My second job is selling real estate (just starting). My primary job schedule is not very good. Most of the time I work 5 days Mon-Friday but I am on call 365 days and I only get two weeks of vacation. My goal is to sell real estate just enough that I can take extra weeks off of my primary job for a loss in pay and not worry about it. That's why I am starting a second job.

I work a few hours a week for a major outdoor retailer. I get a good discount, and it gives me a little pocket money. The money I save is where I "make" money, not the paycheck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find something that breaks a lot and learn how to fix it. For me, I do a little bit of dock repair on the side. It isn't steady income, but a phone call can turn into a few hundred bucks in an afternoon.

OP
Steepandeep1

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what your job is. My work schedule is changing a lot right now, once it settles down I may try to pick up a couple hours at my local archery shop. Just help clean and organize and learn more about bows. Little bit of extra income and also for fun and knowledge. My brother works the same job as me just on a better more organized shift, second job is a part time fire fighter. Soon my schedule should be 2 on 2 off 3 on 3 off, if the archery shop doesn't work out I still plan to find something extra.

- Jesse

I'm a toolpusher on a workover rig. 14, 24hr shifts, 14 off.

Thanks for all the input

Scottyboy

WKR
I work a few hours a week for a major outdoor retailer. I get a good discount, and it gives me a little pocket money. The money I save is where I "make" money, not the paycheck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my buddy does the exact same for a large retailer that was recently purchased from another large retailer.. :D he says the pay is decent, he's around stuff he likes (firearms, archery etc) but the benefits <discounts> of being a employee was the main factor in picking up a second job.

Slingshot

FNG
Donate plasma near you? Takes me about 1 hour each time to do at biolife. It's at 70 bucks a week where I'm located, 20 bucks the first donation and 50 bucks the second donation that week. All the money goes right onto a debit/credit card. Helps me out a lot on buying things I don't really need. New donors usually get a deal on there first few donations like 50 bucks each time.

AdamW

WKR
Whatever it is I'd make it something I liked.

I have friends who make things on the side to sell. I like dabbling in leather work and make my own knife sheaths, etc. I enjoy it for the most part and if I wanted a fun side gig that made a little money, I'd probably make sheaths for popular knives and sell them through instagram, etc. A buddy is a talented sheath maker and did/does it on the side. He started taking orders and it got overwhelming and sucked the fun out of it I think.

I started working my first spending money job when I was 8 pushing a broom at a feed store. Kids these days can make cool shit and sell it on etsy without ever leaving the house! :D

Seems like it'd be the highest return on your time until a guy got caught
Haha maybe start a lawn care business? A trailer, mower, weed whip, blower, and a pickup, and it's a fairly easy job for someone else to handle when your not around. Treat your customers good and you can grow quick. Oh and throw a plow on you truck for winter time. Most of the people we mowed/landscaped for we plowed for to.

I was part of one with a buddy before I took my current job. We both worked 2nd shift at the machine shop we met at then worked from 7am till we had to go to other work. I left and he quit the machine shop bc he was getting big quick and didn't need the machine shop. Now 2.5 years later all he does it put in bids and checks on jobs. Only has to go work of someone doesn't show. He spends his days with his new baby girl.

Or maybe try the housing market? Rentals? That's what I'm going for just bought one of a few houses I wanna turn into rentals. So I can one day quit the railroad and do what I want.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would recommend starting a small business in something that you have a passion for...or you have a strong skill set that would benefit.
Run it part time in your days off and maybe eventually it turns into your full time job.
There is something amazing about working for yourself doing something you love...you end up being more successful than the guys that are doing it just for a job.

This is exactly what happened to me. Overall happier although there are days running my own business takes its toll.... gave up shifts and HAVING to carry a gun to spend everyday outside or in the woods.