Second season Colorado planning

Donjuan

WKR
What do you all look for in e scouting for second rifle season in Colorado mule deer?

It seems like it could be very weather dependent as to elevation and terrain they're in.

Also, how does the OTC elk hunting pressure affect you if you're in a draw unit for mule deer. For example, I'm looking at a four point unit for mule deer but it has 600 rifle hunters. Should I worry?

Do you see much rut activity in late October/Early November?

Have gotten a little snow in 2nd rifle seasons the last few years. Don't think it really gets them migrating but are maybe out a little more in day or are at least more visible. Yes there is pressure from otc elk hunters. No on rut activity, imo.

Hunted 2nd rifle the last 4 years. Elevation ranged from 8,500 - 10,000 ft. Probably saw 50+ bucks & not one of them exhibited any signs of being in the rut. Hunter pressure is the biggest factor in my opinion.

Yep, lots of elk hunters, zero rut activity, and it'll be very dependent on snowfall whether they're pushing down or not. I've also found that lots of elk hunters without a deer tag are more than happy to let ya know what they've been seeing, especially if you can point them in a direction for elk. Take it with a grain of salt, but people are much more truthful when you're not in direct competition.
As far as e-scouting, I'd be looking for anything that's not heavy timber to glass into between 8-10k feet and a lower nearby backup plan if a good storm comes in and that area becomes inaccessible.

It’s going to be very weather and unit dependent.

Best bet would be to have a number of “spots” e-scouted to include elevations at the winter range all the way up to 11k feet depending on the unit. You will need boots on the ground to know where to focus.

If it looks like elk habitat there will be some otc elk guys to contend with.

There is no one formula for success here.

My last second season buck was killed first couple days of November, we had some colder temps and he was very rutty with a group of 25 or so does. Followed them out of the timber at 1pm and got himself killed.