Secret to Your Elk Success

vcb

WKR
Take advantage of early season! It's the best time of the rut for a big bull. Get high and glass, find the elk, keep the wind in your face ALWAyS and be a silent sniper with your bow!

Swede

WKR
"Secret To Your Elk Success". Now if I tell you it won't be a secret. ;) I know a few things about where and how to set up a tree stand and just keep repeating them. They are not much of a secret as they are all in the book "Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk". Some of the key points are patience and persistence. Do your homework. Believe in your stand placement and set up. Then wait.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
"Secret To Your Elk Success". Now if I tell you it won't be a secret. ;) I know a few things about where and how to set up a tree stand and just keep repeating them. They are not much of a secret as they are all in the book "Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk". Some of the key points are patience and persistence. Do your homework. Believe in your stand placement and set up. Then wait.

If I was a resident and my elk hunting land was within an hour or two of where I live, I think I would throw up some stands over the summer. I enjoy sitting in trees for whitetails and sitting waiting on turkeys to come by my blind, but since I'm 11 hours away from my favorite elk habitat I'm unable to get there and put up stands or even scout. If I lived closer I'd give it a try.

Swede

WKR
I know I have a huge advantage because I live only 8 hours away from my hunting area. If I change to an area I am looking over, it would be 11 hours away also, but for now it is just a hop away. Actually a person can set up a stand when they arrive at their hunting area if they choose. I sometimes change locations when one spot gets cold, so to speak.

2rocky

WKR
2 parts to elk hunting...First FIND the elk, then you can HUNT the elk. The idea seemed too simple at first, but it became apparent that hunting areas that held no elk was a waste. Damn, he was right....

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard work and dedication, hunt every hour you can and have available until your body says I need more Ibuprofen and the bottle is empty:)

Edelweiss

FNG
I will soon return to the US on military retirement and will once again be hunting elk on Union Pass in Wyoming and west of Deer Lodge in Montana.

Rocky

WKR
2 parts to elk hunting...First FIND the elk, then you can HUNT the elk. The idea seemed too simple at first, but it became apparent that hunting areas that held no elk was a waste. Damn, he was right....

Simple yet true. Guess I need to master the first part :)

KMT

WKR
1. Hunt where the elk are, not where you want them to be or where they were last year.
2. Hunt hard and don't give up. You can rest when you get home. I leave camp before dark and get back after dark. I have shot more bulls between 11am and 1pm than early morning or evening.

Maxhunter

WKR
I use every trick in the book and adapt to what works for that season. I also hunt from daylight till everyday. It only comes once a year so I make sure I put my time in.

Jon Boy

WKR

Yah towards the end of the season last year I finally figured it out. I just started from ridge to ridge until I found them and then it was on.

Also I will say some of the most successful elk hunters I know take two full weeks and hunt every single day. They kill elk most every year, some times on the first day, sometimes on the last day, but more often than not its on days 7-10.

Shrek

WKR
I'm bringing my climber for my first elk hunt so when my old flatlander legs are burnt out I can climb up a tree and rest my legs while still having a chance. I often sit all day for whitetails so sitting is not a problem for me. I'll stand up and stretch every once in a while and fill an empty bottle .