Securing long gun to pack for walk-in

Those of you who have your rifle or shotgun on your pack rather than on a sling, whether it's backcountry hiking or a shorter walk in, how do you handle it? I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to lash a rifle to a backpacking pack with extra straps and whatnot, and I think some purpose built packs have internal or external rifle pockets, but I'm interested in what y'all might have experience with.

Marble

WKR
I just use the straps on my kifaru. It works well.

I have a Sherman now but i havent used it yet.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had @pods8 make me a custom rifle holder that I strap to the bottom of my Kifaru. Very happy with how it turned out. If I wanted to Carry it center, or on each side of the pack, I can. It’s got the same PALS webbing attachments so it’s really versatile.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The straps on my Exo work well, no real need for anything else. I fabricated a holder out of paracord to allow me to adjust to position up and down. Last several times out I just hand carried the rifle. I picked a Kifaru Gun Bearer, but have only played with it in the house so far. I think I will like it. Worst case is I go back to hand carrying and strapping it to the pack while having a few extra ounces in my pack on my next hunt. Doubt that will happen though.

I strap to the pack for a long walk in, if not hunting. There’s enough straps on the packs to make it work. But, if i might see something, I have it in the kifaru gun bearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer for me. Having both hands free and not worrying about a sling slipping off while hiking is awesome.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I use my eberlestock internal scabbard for coyotes and prairie dog trips but only if it’s not for overnight trips as there wouldn’t be room for much more than ammo and spare jacket etc.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer for quick access while hunting. However, for just packing long distance--such as while walking in the dark or on a packout--I use our gun carrier on my Kifaru pack and secure it with the pack's compression straps. It fits about anywhere and also works for carrying trekking poles or tent poles.

Rifle1.JPG

As others above I use the kifaru sling if I want access to it. If not, also as others mentioned above, the butt drops into my SO side pocket and there are several straps above that to lock it in.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Rifle scabbard on my Eberlestock F1 works like a charm. Solid carry and quick, easy access.