Security Cameras

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
So i would like to put in some security cameras at my house. i have read some of the other threads and been looking at brands. Almost all of the brands i have looked at appear to be cloud based where they upload to the cloud. Does anyone have a suggestion for a camera that could connect to an old laptop or hard drive stashed in a closet and not the cloud? or is there a way to set one of the main brands up that way ?

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I have some cameras from Swann and they all connect to a DVR type box that you can stash wherever you want. You can view the cameras via an app you download to your phone. I have it hooked up to my TV in the bedroom and the playback is not the most intuitive.

Rob5589

WKR
Pleased with the Arlo system. Wireless so you need wifi. Batteries last a long time, very easy to set up, app works great.

AZ8

WKR
I have a similar set up as others. Purchased on Amazon for under 200....four camera set. If I were to do it again, I’d go with wireless. I ran wires under the eaves. Tacky to say the least. Still bugs me today.

I'll give a thumbs up for the Arlo Cameras. They are wireless and battery life lasts for months. Mine are set so they are only motion/sound activated and provide good video quality. Only issue I've had is my camera at my front door is having a microphone issue and not recording sounds. Good way to see what critters are moving through the neighborhood. Everyone that comes to the house like delivery drivers and what not all look up at the cameras so I know just the presence is doing their job.

I would try to go wired if possible. I went with a Reolink system off of Amazon. I am completely satisfied for the money. Very easy to setup. I can access from my cell phone or iPad. App is very stable with all kinds of settings. Picture and night vision work great. I would not hesitate to buy another.

I have some cameras from Swann and they all connect to a DVR type box that you can stash wherever you want. You can view the cameras via an app you download to your phone. I have it hooked up to my TV in the bedroom and the playback is not the most intuitive.
Mine works the same way, Lorex is the brand. Very happy with it a year in.

RO1459

FNG
You might consider looking at Wyze cameras. They are wireless and the videos at your home. They are so popular that they were sold out in one week when introduced. I just bought three more and love this system. They are motion activated and work day or night.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've done Arlo at my house and Blink XT at my daughters. Both were simple and work well. Just make sure the Blink system is up to date, they had a security hacking issue at one time.

My Arlo cameras are all on solar panels because they are hung up too high to easily get to. They also have extended cords is you want to hard wire the power for the camera.

The Arlo Pro 2 is the best of what they offer, IMO. You get free cloud recording for 7 days, where you have to pay with some of their other cameras.

Jeremy

Apollo117

WKR
Aa others have suggested, wired is better than wireless. I have installed both and clients always found something not to like about the wireless systems eventually. Wired systems are more reliable in my experience. Whatever you choose, may sure you actually check that the cameras are recording and the firmware is up to date monthly if not more often.

I'm a fan of the Unifi Protect system. If you want to use an old computer as a DVR, look at Blue Iris software. You'll need a network switch too. However, I don't recommend using an old computer. Having a true (reputable) DVR is usually better.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few Lorex cameras. They connect to a hard drive. Very easy to set up and have been good so far. Have had them about a year. The app is nice too, can see them on the phone.

At amazon I found the OHWOAI Wireless Security Camera System that are sold with 4TB hard drive in a set.

KHNC

WKR
I would try to go wired if possible. I went with a Reolink system off of Amazon. I am completely satisfied for the money. Very easy to setup. I can access from my cell phone or iPad. App is very stable with all kinds of settings. Picture and night vision work great. I would not hesitate to buy another.
DOnt you mean wireless? Reolink is wireless. That is what i use as well.

Wrench

WKR
I manage a facility where security is of the utmost importance. I recently did a camera upgrade that was several hundred thousand dollars. I spoke with the security system installers and reps and they all said the same thing....go arlo pro and don't look back.

wildcat33

WKR
It depends what you want, if you just want some little thing to put over your front door then sure the wireless Arlo's and whatnot will work. Usable vision range is very limited and camera quality is marginal. You will also be chained to a cloud subscription fee for any kind of meaningful access to your data. The upside is they are so easy to set up, anyone can do it.

If you want a real home camera system you have to go wired. I tried Lorex and it was crap. Ended up installing Hikvision cameras, which I'm surprised no one has mentioned. They are PoE (Power over ethernet), which means they use coax cable. Its a serious undertaking to install; I ran wires through the walls, snaked through the attic, down through a wall and over to a DVR. There is also some networking setup that will test your google fu. The outcome, 360 degree coverage with HD video and very good night vision. DVR stores about a month of data. No subscription fee and I can access with an app on my phone or desktop.

CHSD

WKR
What cameras would you guys suggest for winter months? I live in South Dakota and it gets to 30 below zero during winter and I want to make sure cameras hold up. This may be unwarranted worry on my part and if it is, please let me know.

OP
E

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had some other people also recommend Arlo, Do they have a version thats not cloud/subscription based?

Apollo117

WKR
@wildcat33, nobody mentioned Hikvision because it's currently banned for sale in the US, IIRC. Due to security concerns.

I may be misunderstanding the ban. It might only apply to US Gov and contractors. Regardless of who it applies to, lots of camera vendors dropped Hikvision and other Chinese camera manufacturers.