Security Cameras

What cameras would you guys suggest for winter months? I live in South Dakota and it gets to 30 below zero during winter and I want to make sure cameras hold up. This may be unwarranted worry on my part and if it is, please let me know.

I would also be interested in info about cold weather installs if anyone has done it. The cameras I have looked into have the best 'cold rated' systems say they are good to -15F.....that ain't gonna work for me.

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
I manage a facility where security is of the utmost importance. I recently did a camera upgrade that was several hundred thousand dollars. I spoke with the security system installers and reps and they all said the same thing....go arlo pro and don't look back.
are you saying the folks that did the several hundred thousand dollar security used Arlo, or are you saying they recommend arlo for the home usage?

Wrench

WKR
My guys said the arlo pro delivers everything my $2500 pelcos do for 5% of the price and can save to a hard drive
are you saying the folks that did the several hundred thousand dollar security used Arlo, or are you saying they recommend arlo for the home usage?
They wouldn't expect more from a pelco than arlo. But to answer your question arlo for non institutional use. We cannot have wifi in my facility.

Rob5589

WKR
Ive had some other people also recommend Arlo, Do they have a version thats not cloud/subscription based?
There is a way to store on a local drive via USB, if you purchase the correct system. It will record to both cloud and local drive.

Rob5589

WKR
on the Swann system you can add a large external storage via USB
I looked at that type of system. What I found is, I look at the "catches" every day, sometimes several times a day. I personally do not see a need to store weeks or months of people walking their dogs past the house😁

I have the Arlo cameras as well. I believe there is a way to have it save automatically to a hard drive if you want that. You can save any individual videos you may want or need from the cloud as well, but need to grab it during the 7 day window.

wildcat33

WKR
@wildcat33, nobody mentioned Hikvision because it's currently banned for sale in the US, IIRC. Due to security concerns.

I may be misunderstanding the ban. It might only apply to US Gov and contractors. Regardless of who it applies to, lots of camera vendors dropped Hikvision and other Chinese camera manufacturers.

Gov contractors only.

Been running Blue Iris for years. I run cheap POE cameras (they're cheap now because I buy them off ebay used - about $10 each), and just upgraded the PC that stores it. I have 12 cameras around the place. The aren't full HD but pretty high res (sufficient for my needs - 1280 I think).

I hate anything cloud or monthly fee based. Probably because I'm paranoid and I want to understand any systems that are installed. Plus, if the commies come, I don't want to need to acces a cloud to see things. ;-)

Mostly, I just like to see the critters that creep around my place at night.

Last edited:
Also - all my cameras are indoor. They are all mounted outdoor, but for most of my applications they work fine. I just strategically place them under eaves, etc. For a few, I've actually built a housing for them...

Oh yeah - a couple of raspberry pi's running a web browser pointed to my blue iris machine allow me to watch what's going on on different tv's around the house.

Nerdy I know, but I'm an engineer...

Soupie

FNG
Was just about to pull the trigger on a Eufy system for both our primary and cabin. After all the suggestions on Arlo, I might want to consider it again. I liked that Eufy stores on its home base hard drive, rather than cloud...which also means no monthly fees.

Wapiti1

WKR
I would also be interested in info about cold weather installs if anyone has done it. The cameras I have looked into have the best 'cold rated' systems say they are good to -15F.....that ain't gonna work for me.
My folks in Montana tried an Arlo pro system and it was OK in cold weather, but not great. Battery life went way down, and the solar panels stopped charging for the most part when it was below about -10. A couple of weeks below zero and they started to lose cameras until the batteries warmed back up.

Fact of life for wireless unless you run a dedicated outlet for each camera. If it had dedicated power, it would have been fine, but it wouldn't have been nearly as easy to set up.

It really didn't work for them, but that is also because they rarely have a cell signal when they go on trips which means notifications from the cameras are worthless.

Jeremy

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
the arlo can store to a hard drive, but it needs to be connected to the base and removed and plugged into a pc to view footage.
the newest arlo, released next week or so, no longer need a base station and can connect directly to you wifi network. not sure if this option now takes away local hard drive storage or give the ability to store to a nas