Seek 8 Man

TygerJ

FNG
Anyone have experience packing this size around for a backcountry shelter?

Assessing getting it to use for many uses; family tent, to front country base camp, to hopefully packing it in somewhere with 1-2+ other buddies.

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
It can all be done, and I have done it. It’s an awesome shelter for 3 guys.
I have used it for a family tent for a few years as well. I had a full nest made, just for family camping. It gets a little hot in the summer, not enough ventilation, IMO
Other than that, it’s an awesome shelter

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve not used it but in My opinion, it can be so difficult to find a flat spot big enough in the back country for everyone to sleep comfortably. Front country is usually not a problem. I use tut for a 2 man truck camp, but we usually pack in solo shelters so that each can find a nice flat area to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve not used it but in My opinion, it can be so difficult to find a flat spot big enough in the back country for everyone to sleep comfortably. Front country is usually not a problem. I use tut for a 2 man truck camp, but we usually pack in solo shelters so that each can find a nice flat area to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'd agree with Flyguy, I've had trouble finding spots just for my 2 man dome tents before.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
It isn't the same tipi, but I have packed in a Kifaru 6 man as a late season solo shelter and with family and friends many times in all seasons. It isn't the lightest shelter, and in summer where there are a lot of bugs I prefer a tent with netting and floor, but it hasn't been a big deal to carry either. It has made some really nice backcountry experiences for a lot of people. There may be areas where you can't find enough space to set it up, but I have always managed to make do. If I had it to do over, I would have gone for the 8 man for the extra space at minimal marginal weight penalty.

rayporter

WKR
sometimes you must get creative in pitching the larger footprint shelters.

but they are still good to have. an 8 is a palace for 2 and great for 3.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Thanks all for commenting.

Thinking I’ll pair it with a SXL stove, carbon pole, and line loc extensions.

Can’t decide on the screen doors. Any opinions?

Thanks all for commenting.

Thinking I’ll pair it with a SXL stove, carbon pole, and line loc extensions.

Can’t decide on the screen doors. Any opinions?
Depends where you hunt. I got the screen as I hunt Kansas and Missouri where I live too. A screen is needed there during the early season

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Screens are good for mosquito season, or biting flies. Don't do much for ticks.

8 can make sense to pack for 3 guys, split up as a hot tent you're looking at 3ish lbs per person. Like others have said, going into unknown territory I'd worry about footprint. Going into a couple spots we regularly elk hunt and put in a camp, I'd totally take it.