Seek One... Has anybody watched these guys?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody watched these guys? Hunting the Suburbs of Atlanta and killing some absolute giants. I'm curious to what some of you guys think about it, as I've yet to form an opinion

1582135071398.png

bdg848

WKR
I live in and hunt in a city of a little over 100,000 and we have some really nice bucks. Hunting out in the country on large properties and public lands is more relaxing but the last two years it just hasn't been worth it, or it's difficult with work, for me to drive and hour and then hike for 45 minutes when I can slip out my door and be in a tree in 10 minutes and kill all the meat does I could ever want (unlimited urban tags) and still shoot a nice buck. The urban hunt also has additional challenges like access to properties and stands. Some of the spots can be really tricky dealing with private property and without bumping deer. Its not like shooting tame deer either, I have been busted a few times. They are used to seeing and smelling people from the bike trails a hundred yards away but they absolutely will spook if they see/smell you in the middle of the timber where joggers never go. The big boys are mostly on the edges of town where the agriculture bleeds into the subdivisions. Like I said, hunting big tracts of land far away from people is special but I've been getting my fill of seclusion and solitude while hunting those types of places for turkey and other game.

Last edited:
OP
jakelogsdon

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I've watched and something about it just seems weirds to me. They do kill some monster bucks though
It is definitely different than what I'm used to. I guess that's why I'm reserving my opinion. I thought it was pretty interesting seeing some of these guys interact with landowners in upper middle class neighborhoods to gain access. Some of the landowners seem interested and accepting, even though they know nothing about hunting at all. I think these guys do it right and are smart and respectful, and are good representations of hunters as a whole. Just wondering what kind of avenues this might open up for other not so ethical/respectful hunters. You know what happens when big deer are involved.

finding and securing places to hunt has to be a nightmare in that setting and probably takes a tremendous amount of skill and tenacity. Kudos to them for consistently finding and hunting big deer in a difficult situation....

Tallcrow

FNG
It's different for sure... If huge bucks are your primary focus and you embrace the access issues and sitting in stands watching folks cut grass our clean out their pool its effective.

It's just not my thing but I can appreciate that they are good at what they do, achieve their goals and clearly enjoy it so kudos to them!

Scottyboy

WKR
Haven’t seen it, no. But here in Minnesota giant bucks are taken in urban areas quite often . There is a proficiency test before you get the tag, time well spent though. If you can draw a tag you have a good chance at a dandy “city buck” that most of us dream about anywhere else in the state. Of course there is nuisance on this subject, I just keep my fingers crossed my number is drawn at some point

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Georgia so I've been keeping track of them a bit, but not really watching all of their episodes. The biggest challenge hunting in the suburbs is access and they seem to have that figured out. I like hunting where I can't hear cars driving around so I'm not really drawn to that kind of hunting, but they consistently kill some of the largest deer in Georgia every year. Watching it also makes me wish more deer lived to be 4.5 and older around here. Good food resources plus older bucks can equal huge deer even in a state not known for it.

There are giant deer running around the Kansas City suburbs. I would bet that's the case for most suburban areas with whitetails around.

OP
jakelogsdon

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I think an interesting thing that kind of got me thinking, was that these guys are killing giants. not giants for Georgia standards, world class giants. How can this be? I have a couple theories.

Mykonos

FNG
I can’t imagine the headache of getting permission for some of those spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I have watched these guys over the years and in one of their earlier episodes they said that a small herd of deer from Wisconsin were introduced to the Atlanta area years ago and that is why they are much bigger than typical Georgia deer. Combine that with mild winters, good forage, good genetics (Wisconsin #1 BC entries) and no hunting pressure and you get these giants. These guys can be a little over the top at times but they put out really high quality videos and some good storylines behind the bucks they have been chasing. They work their tails off to stay on bucks and scout plus gaining permission all over the neighborhood

I think it’d be great, sending an arrow in a monster buck at the local park lol. The look on people’s faces when your quartering it up next to a popular running path in all camo.

Or double lunging a giant behind a trap house worrying about getting knifed by a crack head. Be a whole new element.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’d be great, sending an arrow in a monster buck at the local park lol. The look on people’s faces when your quartering it up next to a popular running path in all camo.

Or double lunging a giant behind a trap house worrying about getting knifed by a crack head. Be a whole new element.
:ROFLMAO:
I’ll pass.

I haven't ever hunted urban Archery around me. Not my thing, need to make sure the animal doesn't track to another property, usually someone considers it their pet. Not really intending to knock it, but I'm definitely not interested in it. And I think the bigger deal is securing permission to the right property, not necessarily the skill of the hunter. But that is the case on lots of private land urban or not.

I know a guy who shoots one first couple days of season past several years in an urban areas. He got heckled about it the first time, he still does it but won't own up to it. Problem is this year the deer he shot was recognized by others in the area. He says he killed it elsewhere, but it was seen on the property he had been hunting only a few hours before he shot it. Walking down the edge of the road. Likely to the apple trees in the back yard.

TCeppp

FNG
I started watching them a few months ago. I think they are overall great guys and always mean well. Excited to see how they Golf Course turns out for them!

Squirrels

WKR
I have watched most of it to see what the buzz is about. Dudes are putting in some serious work getting permission and keeping residence happy. It's cool to watch and they are killing some big deer. However, I have zero appeal to do that style of hunting. I live in a rural area and don't have to. If that was my only choice verse driving a few hours for every hunt I may sing a different tune. Either way my hats off to them for effort they put in.

I've watched most of their stuff. Seem like respectable guys. I contemplated trying something similar, but found it to not be very appealing. Hunting for me is trying to take a mature, big deer, but also the peace and quiet of getting "out of town". So it was missing that piece of the pie. So my experience was really lacking that aspect.

They recently got access to an old golf course though. And that is my dream! Imagine all the perfect scenarios you could set up with food plots, water, bedding etc with 18 fairways, greens. I really can't wait to see them transform that place into a wildlife paradise.

Gumbo

WKR
I really like their films, they are excellent IMO. The hunts are so different I find them incredibly interesting too, although I don't think I will be making the cross-country trek to Atlanta for a DIY hunt any time soon. The thing that blows my gourd is the tiny parcels they have to hope these deer die on after they shoot them...