Seek Outdoors...Most bang for the buck?

Pablo1843

FNG
Going on a Colorado elk trip this September. Needing a solid shelter for one or two guys plus gear but if I am going to spend the money I’d rather get more use out of it than one trip to the Rockies every year. Any suggestions on which model you like the best or what accessories you have been running with them? Or if there’s a better pitch style shelter out there. Appreciate any information!

Lawnboi

WKR
Cimmaron with a nest. Works out west just as well as it does back home. No nest in the mountains, break out the nest at home cause the wife dosnt like spiders.

Add onto that you can utilize a stove in it and it’s a win. Very versatile shelter

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
What type of hunt style?
I utilize the Dan Durston Mid X for pack back style hunts and the Cabelas Alaskan Instinct 6 man if I am going to utilize a base camp. The 6 man works great for 2 guys and gear. Both are high quality tents.

Lawnboi

WKR
Seek outside is also a great US company that makes their tents here, if that matters to you or not.

They have the best customer service Iv ever experienced. Especially when buying a tent, good chance if it’s getting used a lot your eventually going to need a repair.

OP
Pablo1843

Pablo1843

FNG
Cimmaron with a nest. Works out west just as well as it does back home. No nest in the mountains, break out the nest at home cause the wife dosnt like spiders.

Add onto that you can utilize a stove in it and it’s a win. Very versatile shelter
That’s kind where I’m at with my thinking! Thanks!

OP
Pablo1843

Pablo1843

FNG
What type of hunt style?
I utilize the Dan Durston Mid X for pack back style hunts and the Cabelas Alaskan Instinct 6 man if I am going to utilize a base camp. The 6 man works great for 2 guys and gear. Both are high quality tents.
Gonna be backpack hunting for 5-7 days depending on weather. May have to stay a night in the truck but the majority of our time will be spent chasing elk.

duchntr

WKR
SO has great customer service, if your interested in their shelters I would call them and they will happily point you in the right direction. It is hard to beat a 4 man mid with a 2 man nest, as far as weight and space is concerned IMO. However there are multiple other options that will/should work well for you, like most traditional 2 or 3 man tents, ie MSR NX3 or REI QD3 for example. Not sure what bugs are like in the the part of CO your going to but seems mild and as far as precipitation is concerned is also mild. So depending on how dumb/tough you are, a simple 8'X10' tarp will realistically be fine for 2 guys. So really you can over think this or under think it as much as you want and you should be pretty comfortable.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider

+1 on the Cimarron for the exact same reasons. It's extremely versatile when considering all of the nest, liner, and stove options that are available.

-- Scott

renagde

WKR
I agree Seek Outside is a top notch company to do business with. When I was buying my floorless shelter, I wasn't sure if it was the way to go for me and spending $300+ dollars on a top tier tent wasn't going to happen. Luxe allowed me to get in the game for $100 and once I wear this one out I will definitely be looking at a USA made tent.

slatty

WKR
Over the years I’ve built up a cimarron, large EBFF8810-B77F-4BE0-8A2D-B1E453528DA2.jpegstove and half nest.
Cimarron alone for solo hunts when I want a palace, for one or two people with a stove late season, I have the nest for wife and family camping. Really just super versatile.
The only other option I mentally weigh out is the lbo base tarp base. Super versatile as well. I haven’t tried that.

OP
Pablo1843

Pablo1843

FNG
Over the years I’ve built up a cimarron, large View attachment 164366stove and half nest.
Cimarron alone for solo hunts when I want a palace, for one or two people with a stove late season, I have the nest for wife and family camping. Really just super versatile.
The only other option I mentally weigh out is the lbo base tarp base. Super versatile as well. I haven’t tried that.
Thanks sir, that’s kinda the setup I want to be running eventually. Something that does it all pretty well.

OP
Pablo1843

Pablo1843

FNG
SO has great customer service, if your interested in their shelters I would call them and they will happily point you in the right direction. It is hard to beat a 4 man mid with a 2 man nest, as far as weight and space is concerned IMO. However there are multiple other options that will/should work well for you, like most traditional 2 or 3 man tents, ie MSR NX3 or REI QD3 for example. Not sure what bugs are like in the the part of CO your going to but seems mild and as far as precipitation is concerned is also mild. So depending on how dumb/tough you are, a simple 8'X10' tarp will realistically be fine for 2 guys. So really you can over think this or under think it as much as you want and you should be pretty comfortable.
Yeah I was planning on running a small tarp anyways just to have handy. Would work pretty well if we started to get ground water running. Thanks for the info!

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna be backpack hunting for 5-7 days depending on weather. May have to stay a night in the truck but the majority of our time will be spent chasing elk.
Cant beat the Dan Durston Mid X if your doing strictly a back pack style hunt. It is extremely lite weight and packs down extremely small. It is double walled, has a bathtub style floor, it is vented , has 2 gear compartments to store gear and and overhead storage compartment for phone, charger, etc.,. No external or internal poles. It is available in a one man and a 2 man. I personally use the one man. single man is $200 through Mass Drop.

OP
Pablo1843

Pablo1843

FNG
A used Cimarron would be tough to beat in terms of bang for your buck.
That’s the route I’m leaning towards, used Cimarron with a stove jack. Might be tough to find a used one though not sure.