Seek Outside 16 man tipi

Marble

WKR
We've been using multiple smaller tents since the 90s hunting 2nd season in CO. Looking for a bigger, lighter large shelter with a stove for up to 5 guys. Found the 16 man tipi with stove from Seek outside and I'm looking for any experience anyone has had. We use horses so they will be packing it in. Not interested in a wall tent. Wanting something that takes up less room and is lighter that we can put a stove in.

Thanks gents!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 12 man kifaru, which is similar. Get the bug screen and interior liner. We sleep 4 in mine and everyone has plenty of space.

16 man should be a great size for what you want it for. Only two cautions I can think of. That footprint size can be challenging to find a spot to set it up (although you can always choke it down smaller), and are you sure you want 5 guys sleeping together?

Its a bit of a challenge to find good spots for my 8 man at times - and I think the 16 man is what, maybe 23ft diameter? The 5 guys thing is just some folks sleep lighter than others, some snore, and between five guys someone is likely getting up to pee every other hour throughout the night. We keep the stove going while relaxing and enjoying meals or drinks inside the tipi in the evening - but are not attempting to keep it heated throughout the night, so our plan is when we have more than say 3 in the eight man, we throw in another smaller shelter for some folks to sleep in. Everyone hangs out in the heated 8 man, set their gear out to breath and dry out, has a cocktail etc., but often a guy or 2 move to the extra shelter to sleep. As I get older I sleep lighter and some of my companions as they get older snore louder - just saying!

So a 16 would be great, but an 8 or 12 with a regular tent on the side would work great as well. Of course with horses you can bring the 16 and a nice 2 or 3 man tent and still be in great shape. Have fun!

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a kifaru 12 man. It’s a great shelter. It’s much lighter than the alternatives. Plus you have the option to add a stove or not depending on the time of year you’re using it.

Footprint size is one of the only downfalls I can think of. We were up in alaska fishing last year and in some spots we struggled to find a good site that was large enough. Depending on what your terrain looks like it’s something to consider.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
16 man should be a great size for what you want it for. Only two cautions I can think of. That footprint size can be challenging to find a spot to set it up (although you can always choke it down smaller), and are you sure you want 5 guys sleeping together?

Its a bit of a challenge to find good spots for my 8 man at times - and I think the 16 man is what, maybe 23ft diameter? The 5 guys thing is just some folks sleep lighter than others, some snore, and between five guys someone is likely getting up to pee every other hour throughout the night. We keep the stove going while relaxing and enjoying meals or drinks inside the tipi in the evening - but are not attempting to keep it heated throughout the night, so our plan is when we have more than say 3 in the eight man, we throw in another smaller shelter for some folks to sleep in. Everyone hangs out in the heated 8 man, set their gear out to breath and dry out, has a cocktail etc., but often a guy or 2 move to the extra shelter to sleep. As I get older I sleep lighter and some of my companions as they get older snore louder - just saying!

So a 16 would be great, but an 8 or 12 with a regular tent on the side would work great as well. Of course with horses you can bring the 16 and a nice 2 or 3 man tent and still be in great shape. Have fun!
Those are all super good points. I did plan on bringing an extra tents for gear and saddles.

Great things to think about. Thank you!!

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I also have a kifaru 12 man. It’s a great shelter. It’s much lighter than the alternatives. Plus you have the option to add a stove or not depending on the time of year you’re using it.

Footprint size is one of the only downfalls I can think of. We were up in alaska fishing last year and in some spots we struggled to find a good site that was large enough. Depending on what your terrain looks like it’s something to consider.
We are high elevation near 10k in CO during second season. Normally...2nd season is a big mix. But this year its so late. Adding to that, more and more guys are venturing further into the backcountry so instead of riding out each day and getting up at 0330, we figured we would get some better sleeping living conditions. My dad is 71 and another is 66. Both in great shape but still, if I can keep him warm and comfy that a bonus for me.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used the 12 a bunch, it is great for base camps as well as the horse hunting situations that I ahve been in.

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
I have owned and used a Kifaru 16-man tipi since 2007 every year in Alaska. If you can find a large flat spot, preferably with surrounding trees for a wind break, the combo of a 16-man and stove is very hard to beat.