Seek Outside 2020 Update

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We've made some changes recently and are rolling out some new stuff.

Changes:

1. 4-Way forward pull hipbelt closure - This closure uses a single 1" center buckle with four 1" ladderlocks anchored on the belt. It makes closure and tightening easier, and maintains the ability to adjust tension on the top and bottom of the belt independently. It's good, most consider it an improvement. I really like it.
  2. YKK Aquaguard Zippers - We've resisted using water resistant / waterproof zippers in the past due to durability concerns. We're comfortable with these. They are very nice and will upgrade the water resistance of our packs and pockets. We're using #8's in accessories and #10's for most of the pack bodies.
  3. Hipbelt height adjustment - We added a third grommet position so guys can run the frame higher.
New Stuff:

• Short-Tail - this is a dayhunting pack that functions as a Talon. (It's similar in function to the original Peregrine 2400 if anyone remembers that- but with major improvements). It's a top zip with an integrated lid pocket and two big side pockets intended for spotter and tripod. Main uses we foresee are western dayhunting, or add a dry bag as a camp bag and use it for a longer backpack hunt, it will also do well as an eastern hunting pack including treestand use (all the pockets open upward to prevent losing gear from a tree). It's a small lightweight pack with good organization that can carry a full quarter. https://seekoutside.com/short-tail/
    • 3 lbs 13 oz minimum weight
    • 2592 cubic inches | 42.5 L
  • SpectraGridHT Fabric- very cool stuff, I'm a big fan. We've rolled this out in the Custom Pack Builders already and may do more depending on demand.
    • This is a 100 denier high tenacity nylon substrate with a tight X-grid of 200 denier Spectra fibers woven through it. So it's a strong but lightweight fabric, and the oversized spectra fibers create "hills and valleys" in the profile of the fabric, with the spectra hilltops taking the brunt of abrasion and protecting the nylon substrate.
    • Compared to 500 denier cordura - SpectraGridHT is several ounces lighter, but performs similar in abrasion, and is MUCH more water resistant. 1500 mm hydrostatic head rating is technically waterproof per military standards. It gets this via a quality PU coating.
    • Comared to X-Pac - lighter than X42, similar to X21 in weight, beats both in abrasion. Not nearly as waterproof, but will be fine for most rainstorms. Quite a bit quieter than X-Pac, it has a soft hand.
    • It looks really slick. You can see the grid pattern up close, but it blends to a silvery medium gray at a short distance. It's a really blendy color that is kind of trippy because of the pattern. A++ on looks.
  • Flight Pack Line -
    • Load rating 30-50 lbs, targeted to lightweight backpacking but many will find these useful as a dayhunting pack that will get a first load of meat out.
    • These will fit women and kids better that our big packs often do.
    • Well built, light, water resistant...they tick a lot of boxes.
    • https://seekoutside.com/flight-series-backpacks/

Last edited:

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Can you buy the forward pull hardware and retro fit a 2 buckle belt?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, anyone can make the current belt a forward pull. The new belt will be order able as well . However, likely we will also make a little kit at some point to do it or do an over view video of how to .

darpoh

FNG
Will there be an overview video done for the short tail in the near future?

tdot

WKR
I already have the pull forward belt and 4 hikes/15 miles on it. It's my first Seek pack, so cant compare to others, but I really like the top/bottom pulls, can really fine tune the fit. However, I dont like that the center waist buckle has a tensioner on it. It can lead to the top/bottom pulls being out of balance and a few other little irritants. I'm wondering if you have specifically used the buckle you have so that the top/bottom pulls can be tensioned separately?

What's the life expectancy on a 1" buckle like that? Always had much larger 2" buckles, so it feels small, but if it can take the loads and the wear, who cares.

Do you have a weight of the Short tail without frame?

Have you done durability/lifespan testing on the PU coating for the Spectra Grid? Cordura will absorb water and become heavier, will the Spectra Grid?

Being in the Pacific Northwest, we see alot of rain. Would you say the Spectra grid will keep water out for a few hours, a day hunt, or multiple days of broken showers?

Thanks again!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Will there be an overview video done for the short tail in the near future?
The video is recorded, should be published shortly.

Regarding the center buckle and top / bottom forward pull .. just unthread the center buckle to use only one side (instead of both). That will change it to pass through tension instead of total top / bottom. Pass through tension offers easier and more instinctive usability BUT separate / independent top bottom adjust offers better fit and adjustment under heavy load.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@tdot as Kevin said just run the webbing through one loop of the center buckle and it will travel freely.

We're using very strong buckles for the center (we have a long history with these), so there should be no issues. An advantage of 1" hardware is that it is easily sourced from retail if you do break one in a car door or something.

If you want indestructible, you can get an AustriAlpin Original Cobra metal buckle rated at 18 kilonewtons (roughly 4,046 lbs).

Short-Tail packbag only weight is around 19.6 oz.

The coating quality on the SpectraGrid is very good, but it is a PU. It will break down over long periods of time. It may take a decade to start noticing it, but that can vary a lot based on usage and care. If you're in a really wet environment X-Pac would be hard to pass up.

SpectraGridHT is rated at 1500 mm HH, which is the same as a lot of big box store tents. X-Pac isn't even measured in hydrostatic head, it's measured in PSI. 200 PSI, and its lifetime.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
The video is recorded, should be published shortly.

Regarding the center buckle and top / bottom forward pull .. just unthread the center buckle to use only one side (instead of both). That will change it to pass through tension instead of total top / bottom. Pass through tension offers easier and more instinctive usability BUT separate / independent top bottom adjust offers better fit and adjustment under heavy load.

Thanks

tdot

WKR
@tdot as Kevin said just run the webbing through one loop of the center buckle and it will travel freely.

We're using very strong buckles for the center (we have a long history with these), so there should be no issues. An advantage of 1" hardware is that it is easily sourced from retail if you do break one in a car door or something.

If you want indestructible, you can get an AustriAlpin Original Cobra metal buckle rated at 18 kilonewtons (roughly 4,046 lbs).

Short-Tail packbag only weight is around 19.6 oz.

The coating quality on the SpectraGrid is very good, but it is a PU. It will break down over long periods of time. It may take a decade to start noticing it, but that can vary a lot based on usage and care. If you're in a really wet environment X-Pac would be hard to pass up.

SpectraGridHT is rated at 1500 mm HH, which is the same as a lot of big box store tents. X-Pac isn't even measured in hydrostatic head, it's measured in PSI. 200 PSI, and its lifetime.

Thanks.

Had looked at the Cobra, but I carry a couple small 8g carabiners rated at 900lbs and they will work as a backup if I ever break one on trail. It's just psychological, and not being used to seeing a 1" buckle in that location.

With the PU coating being on the interior of the fabric will the SpectraGridHT absorb water? For that matter will XPac?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They won’t wet through like other fabrics so the gain far less water weight and dry much faster . We actually provide a utility one inch buckle with our packs that can be used as a field repair for any of the hardware on our suspension, however that being said there is no where near the stress on that component to cause any issue .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What be this new ground cloth?

It’s a house wrap material. Better than Tyvek for a couple of reasons.

1. Tyvek is annoyingly loud. This isn’t.
2. Tyvek is real slippery, especially on pine needles. This isn’t as bad.

Weight will be similar to Tyvek, can be patched with tape, or join two together with tape for a double wide. Price will be very affordable.

It’s a house wrap material. Better than Tyvek for a couple of reasons.

1. Tyvek is annoyingly loud. This isn’t.
2. Tyvek is real slippery, especially on pine needles. This isn’t as bad.

Weight will be similar to Tyvek, can be patched with tape, or join two together with tape for a double wide. Price will be very affordable.

I am fine with that as long as you don’t f#$k with Matty Mcmattface. Either he stays or you May have a small scale riot on your hands. Just sayin....

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No worries....Matty isn’t going anywhere, though the house wrap ground sheet will likely replace the ground tarp.

FWIW we sell mostly stuff that we manufacture, that’s our core. So when you see us offer something we don’t make (Western Mountaineering, titanium bail handle mug, Matty McMatt Face, housewrap ground sheet) it’s because we think it’s an awesome product.