Seek Outside 2022 Pack Updates

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You're going to see a very different look to our packs this year.

To start, Kevin and I are ideologically opposed to making wholesale changes in product lines unless we can make those products genuinely better. We're making big updates this year.

2022 Updates:
  1. Fabric changes across the board.
  2. Two new packs - Kenai & Goshawk 6300.
  3. Culling two packs - Brooks & Saker.
  4. Combining Fortress with Goshawk.
  5. Asymmetrical pockets standard on some packs.
  6. Custom pack options will change.
Fabrics

We've been using X-Pac fabrics on our packs since we started this back in 2012. We're now switching to fabrics by Challenge Sailcloth, specifically their EPLX400 in Wolf Gray as a direct replacement for the current X-42, and we are offering UltraPE 400 as an upgrade fabric across the entire pack line. All pockets, accents, hipbelts, and shoulder harnesses will use our current Spectra fabric.

EPLX400
Wolf Field 3.jpg
Slightly better than X-42 in tear strength, almost twice as abrasion resistant, a little lighter weight, quieter. Waterproof to 200+ psi. Made partially with recycled polyester so it’s both stronger and more environmentally friendly. (Note that this fabric does not photograph easily in a studio...it is more muted than it appears.)

UltraPE 400
Ultra Field 2.jpg

We've been calling this the unicorn fabric in house. It's unbelievable. The face is a pure UHMPWE woven with recycled polyester. The tear strength is almost 4X higher than X-42, the abrasion resistance is 4.4X higher, it is quieter, and it is almost 40% lighter weight. Most packs in Ultra will be 2-5 oz lighter. Waterproof to 200+ psi.

SpectraGridHT

We’re using our current spectra fabric on hipbelts, shoulder harnesses, side pockets, talons, hipbelt pockets, and top lids. This fabric performs similarly to 500D cordura in abrasion resistance, but it is lighter weight and twice as water resistant. The net benefit is that packs won’t soak up as much water, they get a bit lighter, and it simplifies our production by not having multiple colors of everything.

Kenai
SeekOutside_KenaiLightweightBackpack_Ultra-1.jpg
Integrated pack big enough for a 10 day sheep hunt with a minimum weight of 3 lbs 10 oz. Basically an integrated Lanner - 5400 ci main bag with a big face pocket and three zippered pockets total. Left side tall spotter / tripod pocket and right side water bottle pocket. This asymmetrical pocket option was very popular in our custom pack builder, so we’re making it standard.

Goshawk 6300
SeekOutside_Goshawk6300LightweightBackpack_Ultra-13.jpg
By popular demand. Goshawks now have asymmetrical side pockets and come with a zipper option. The zipper option allows us to combine the Fortress line with the Goshawk, for simplicity.

Brooks & Saker

We’re working on some side pockets that should obsolete the Brooks and Saker.

Custom Packs

Paused at the moment as we work through all the changes. Customs will return but likely with fewer options.

rcb2000

WKR
Glad I held off for a bit!
I’m trying to decide between the Lanner and the Goshawk 4800.

Love the layout and pockets of the Lanner, but how would I be able to attach a bow, just using the gatekeeper straps,, and do it over the Lanner pocket?

looks great! very impressed how you guys have grown as a company and found your own niche. you guys aren't by chance going to the portland sportsman's expo? i don't plan on going, but if you guys are going, i will go out of my way to show up to see the new packs and have you guys fit me in a pack

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I hope the stuff looks better in person - sorry, but now the packs all look like something Gossamer Gear would sell, not hunting packs.

I think the aftermarket value of the green x-pac pack bags just shot up. Wish I’d bought an extra when I had the chance.

Mountainborn

FNG
Classified Approved
I am glad I held off too. Was looking at a gosshawk or peregrine and decided to pull the trigger on a side zip gosshawk so I can use it hunting and pack in float tubing.

Clarktar

WKR
I was lucky enough to get a prototype bag in this material last year. I think the bag looks awesome personally not that looks really matter. The fabric has really held up as far as durability (disclaimer; it has only packed one bear off the mountain). The packout it was on was through some hellish SE Alaska brush (devils club, salmon berry) and snaggy pungy branch adorned thick second growth. I was certain it was going to have a rip or gash in the fabric as I slapped against a lot of snags and branches on the packout (slipping, waddling through 1 ft moss forest floor) in the dark. Nope, no worse for wear. It rained and rained and rained, and nothing in the bag ever got wet.

I have used the bag on probably 70+ hikes with anywhere from 25-75 lbs in weather ranging from snow, rain to hot and sunny. Zero issues still with the fabric. For how light it is it does not feel "fragile" when handling it and it certainly is not prone to ripping given what I have done with it so far.

Haven't had it for that long, and it hasn't had more than one hunting season of field use so I won't say its the most durable etc. (yet), but I fully expect it to surpass my expectations. So far I am beyond impressed.

The main bag is a Saker, then I have a lanner style side pocket one on side, and a small water bottle type pocket on the other side. I usually have a Mesh talon attached to the outside of the pack as well. I will load up some pictures.

Last edited:

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
It says waterproof to 200 psi. How does that translate to real world application? Less or more waterproof than x pac?

Noise level is supposed to be less than x pac. How does it compare to cordura?

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It says waterproof to 200 psi. How does that translate to real world application? Less or more waterproof than x pac?

Noise level is supposed to be less than x pac. How does it compare to cordura?

Same waterproof level depending on the grade of X-Pac. Either is at the “so waterproof it doesn’t matter” level.

Noise is comparable to Cordura when worn, less crinkly than X-PAC in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hope the stuff looks better in person - sorry, but now the packs all look like something Gossamer Gear would sell, not hunting packs.

I think the aftermarket value of the green x-pac pack bags just shot up. Wish I’d bought an extra when I had the chance.

Everyone has their opinion. My opinion is that pretty is as pretty does, though these packs do look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
While I agree with the above commenter that they don't necessarily scream "hunting backpack!" I don't see why that is a problem...but then again I don't take aesthetics into consideration when buying packs! For what it's worth, I think they look kind of cool.

I'll be interested to hear reports on this fabric. I did a little bit of research and it sounds promising. Do you know where that fabric is manufactured?

rcb2000

WKR
@RockChucker30
I see a lot of pics and video of the UltraPE 400, looks incredible.
How does the wolf grey EPLX 400 stand up to say, 500 D Cordura? abrasion, tear, waterproof etc

tdot

WKR
Will the Merlin be made in these new fabrics?

ETA on the new pockets to replace the Saker style pocket?

Asymmetric pocket layout is excellent, both custom packs that I've ordered had it, and it noticeably increased the functionality of my packs. I'll be waiting for the custom orders to open up so I can order it with a large enclosed pocket on the left and water bottle on the right.

It may be worth making a note on the site that Custom Orders are only temporarily off-line. I was pretty disappointed this AM when I checked and the option wasn't there. Glad I double checked here, but shouldn't need to come here for that info.

Thanks for making great packs!

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@RockChucker30
I see a lot of pics and video of the UltraPE 400, looks incredible.
How does the wolf grey EPLX 400 stand up to say, 500 D Cordura? abrasion, tear, waterproof etc
In a packbag use you won't notice a lot of difference except in waterproofness. Cordura is NOT waterproof in any way. EPLX400 you can pressure wash and not force water through (same way with X-Pac). 500D Cordura is an inexpensive workhorse fabric that does well in stitch holding, tear resistance, moderately good in abrasion resistance, and it's supple which makes it easy to sew (cheaper labor). We use a lot of it in applications where it makes sense.

rcb2000

WKR
In a packbag use you won't notice a lot of difference except in waterproofness. Cordura is NOT waterproof in any way. EPLX400 you can pressure wash and not force water through (same way with X-Pac). 500D Cordura is an inexpensive workhorse fabric that does well in stitch holding, tear resistance, moderately good in abrasion resistance, and it's supple which makes it easy to sew (cheaper labor). We use a lot of it in applications where it makes sense.
For the Lanner in my cart, the Ultra version is essentially $50 more,, for 4X abrasion and tear resistance,, seems like a no brainier to me!

Just pulled the trigger on a Lanner in Ultra, can't wait.

Last edited:
OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any changes to the attachment system to the current frames?

Also, any possibility of a single strap forward pull belt?!?
We're tightening up the breakaway packbag connection a bit but otherwise the compression is the same. The 4 way forward pull is sticking around.