Seek Outside - 5/7 Day Backcountry Elk Hunts

Does anyone have any experience with Seek Outside Backpacks?

They have a lot of good looking products and trying to figure out which one is recommended or any personal guidance.

Thanks!

can add they just called and checked on an order i placed over the weekend and allowed me to change something.great! customer service even on a holiday.

Btaylor

WKR
I have a unaweep 4800 and had no problem packing for 7 days last year. I am thinking about adding a lid though for a little extra easily accessible storage.

I've got the Fortress 6300 - as you see on my thumbnail. Each person ends up liking stuff tweeked a little different. I ordered mine without a lid, and with the regular talon. I have since also purchased the Merlin talon. Now that I have some experience with it and have had it on a few trips - I personally would just order it straight out with just the Merlin and not the regular talon. The merlin a very nice way to add some good sized easy access pockets. I'd say its superior to getting the lid (if you are looking at one or the other) as it only 2 ounces more than the lid + regular talon, but more usable space (to me), and a few less straps without the lid. The regular talon they state as around 800 ci, but its pretty darn tight getting that much into it, and lids (not just SO's) are always kind of in the way for me. I really don't see the Merlin coming off and the regular talon going back on. Even in daypack mode, when I don't need the space, I'll take the small extra weight for the nice easy access pockets.

I really like the Fortress for its extremely water resistant properties. If you go that route just make sure you are OK with your bag really being a "bag" - i.e. no zipper. My packs have always been pretty much pure bags without access zipppers. SO has many pack with access zippers which can be nice as well but you're waterproofness will take a minor hit from the zipper. Just depends on what's most important for you.

Again, very happy with mine, good luck with whichever you choose!

I'm very happy with my Goshawk 4800 (+Lid, basetalon and hipbelt pockets).
Zipper makes it less water resistant, but more accessible than the Fortress bags. Only you can decide what is more important for your needs.
If you decide for the Fortress, I would go for the 6300. 4800 is on the small side (depending on your needs) for 7 days. Absolutely doable, but you may end up whith something strapped to the outside.

Lee Harrison

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey there,

Lee from Seek Outside here. Just thought I'd chime in. Here are a few questions I would ask someone if they called in and wanted help picking out a model.

1. How many days? We have that answered. 5-7.
  2. How big of a deal is organization to you? Do you like to have multiple pockets?
  3. How tall are you?
  4. Do you use a nalgene or a water bladder?
There are a few more but for the most part this would help me be able to offer you a few options for consideration.

If anyone is curious feel free to answer those questions here in the thread or even in a direct message, and I can help get you on track.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Fortress 4800, a mesh talon, hip belt pockets and water bottle pocket. I thought I would have issues with access to some items but by organizing my things I never had an issue when actually using the pack. I divide my gear into three categories:

1. Things I want to access without having to take my pack off (e.g water, snacks, GPS, wind indicator, binos)
2. Things that I want quick assess that require taking off my pack but doesn't require uncompressing the bag or having to remove a bunch of items. (e.g. rain gear, extra clothing layer, lunch)
3. The rest of the things that I don't mind having to unload my pack to get (e.g. sleep system, tent, kill kit)

I found that I could put items from category 2 in the talon, behind the talon or in the top of the Fortress bag. Accessing things from the top of the Fortress turned out to be as easy or easier than accessing things from a side zipper. I could open the top of the Fortress bag at get at things in about 5 seconds or less. I didn't have to uncompress the bag or dig for stuff.

I seam sealed the Fortress bag so it is basically water proof. I've had the bag in blowing rain and snow without a drop of water getting in. I've always liked panel loaders but after using a Fortress bag I don't feel the need to change.

Hey there,

Lee from Seek Outside here. Just thought I'd chime in. Here are a few questions I would ask someone if they called in and wanted help picking out a model.

1. How many days? We have that answered. 5-7.
  2. How big of a deal is organization to you? Do you like to have multiple pockets?
  3. How tall are you?
  4. Do you use a nalgene or a water bladder?
There are a few more but for the most part this would help me be able to offer you a few options for consideration.

If anyone is curious feel free to answer those questions here in the thread or even in a direct message, and I can help get you on track.

Lee,
Looking at switching to one of your packs. I am considering the unaweep 6300 or a goshawk 4800. Couple of questions
Can the unaweep be run without a talon and still have decent compression
Does the unaweep have the gate keeper tabs on the front of the bag like the goshawk
Will a elk quarter bone in fit in the unaweep for a first trip out with gear in the pack
does the bottom strap go over the water bottle pocket or through on the unaweep

Do you have a recommendation either way. Considering the unaweep mostly because of the weight savings but like the zipper on the goshawk.

To answer your questions up top
5-7 days however I am pretty stream lined and can go 5 days out of a 3000 cubic inch bag
only need one additional pocket other than the main bag
6' 2" tall
Nalgene

Thanks

Rokwiia

WKR
I have the Fortress 6,300 and find that you can have a ton of access if you get a top lid and two pouches for the belt. Between those three and the Talon, you've got a ton of space to put something that needs to be accessed quickly.

I'm not a hunter so one would think the Unaweep would have made more sense. I wanted the breakaway capability for carrying wood and other items that would dirty or potentially damage the inside of Fortress bag.

The irony is with something like 130L capability, the Revolution Fortress 6,300 rolls down into nothing and can easily be used as a day pack (and I do).

Phaseolus

WKR
Lee,
Looking at switching to one of your packs. I am considering the unaweep 6300 or a goshawk 4800. Couple of questions
Can the unaweep be run without a talon and still have decent compression
Does the unaweep have the gate keeper tabs on the front of the bag like the goshawk
Will a elk quarter bone in fit in the unaweep for a first trip out with gear in the pack
does the bottom strap go over the water bottle pocket or through on the unaweep

Do you have a recommendation either way. Considering the unaweep mostly because of the weight savings but like the zipper on the goshawk.

To answer your questions up top
5-7 days however I am pretty stream lined and can go 5 days out of a 3000 cubic inch bag
only need one additional pocket other than the main bag
6' 2" tall
Nalgene

Thanks

Farmer, the Unaweep is not a ‘breakaway’ bag. You won’t be able to put a quarter between the pack and the bag. I suppose if you have enough room you could stuff it in with your gear. The goshawk is a breakaway bag.
https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

Farmer, the Unaweep is not a ‘breakaway’ bag. You won’t be able to put a quarter between the pack and the bag. I suppose if you have enough room you could stuff it in with your gear. The goshawk is a breakaway bag.
https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/
Thanks I was planning on putting meat in the bag with the unaweep and going with a larger bag. I like the weight of those bags

sneaky

"DADDY"
That new Lanner looks like another viable option

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Personally , I really like the Lanner bag. I think it is a really good mix. It's really a good day and mid size pack but also sizes up to near expedition size well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger185

FNG
Kevin, How many days do you think you could get on a 4th season hunt with the Lanner? And does it work with a lid?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin, How many days do you think you could get on a 4th season hunt with the Lanner? And does it work with a lid?

Hi Ranger185
2 weeks for the lightweight person / packer. Of course, some of that depends on location , weather , and how many insecurities get packed .. which sometimes in November can be a lot. I make the assumption of 2 weeks based on 10K in Colorado, 0 Degree down bag, Cimarron sized shelter or split between folks if larger ..

I would advise against a lid personally. It has a small pocket that is designed to work similar to a small lid. A lid will add weight, straps and complexity. The bag has about 1000 CI or more available quickly in outside pocketing, with 3 smallish pockets, one larger stash. That does not include the two side pockets. Personally, I find the exterior pocketing far easier to access and organize than a lid. If you desire more pocketing, for mall items add a large hipbelt pocket.

If you want a lid, I would advise to go with the Goshawk. The Goshawk with a lid is roughly similar to the Metcalf in that it is a 4500 ish pack with two side pockets, a side zip and a lid.

Thanks
Kevin

Ranger185

FNG
Thanks Kevin,

I knew there would be a lot of variables, but I appreciate you laying out the generalities of the packs.