Seek Outside 5400 Spectra Custom

HNTR918

WKR
I ended my western big game season last year with a few goals.
One of which was improve my pack system.

For the last 3 season I'd used a Mystery Ranch Metcalf.
It did a lot of things well, but it left me wanting a few items.
#1 Lighter Weight - The metcalf weighs 6.0 lbs on my home scale.
#2 Belt Comfort - The metcalf would leave hip bruises from the belt support material on heavy pack outs.
#3 Waterproof - The metcalf used 500D and required a rain cover/internal dry bag which are both pains and both add to #1.
#4 Increase Capacity - The metcalf worked well for 3-4 day late season trips, but I will be heading in 1-2 days early for the 5 day seasons and would like more volume without adding to #1.

Now lets get to this pack.
I just received it yesterday, and will be updating this thread as I become more familiar and use it throughout training, scouting, and hunting.
First Impressions of the Seek Outside 5400 Custom in Spectra.
#1 WOW is it light - It weights under 3lb 14oz. That's over 2lb of weight savings in my kit that will be with me 100% of the time.
#2 The Volume - This pack expands to a huge volume, its well over 1000 cu-in larger than my metcalf. SO must rate these very conservatively.

I have two items that I want to test this week.
#1 Belt Comfort - The belt feels fantastic with the 20lbs on gear I have laying in my office. However, I will be doing a few hikes with 45lbs and 90lbs later this week to determine the comfort under load.
#2 Waterproof - My plan is to take the pack, load it with my down sleeping bag, puffy pants, and puffy jacket and let me garden hose "rain" on it in shower mode for around 1-2 hours.

Here are a few pictures in the meantime.
SO 1.jpgSO 2.jpgSO 3.jpgSO 4.jpgSO 5.jpg

OP
HNTR918

HNTR918

WKR
is that bottle holder from Seek or other?

Yes, it's their belt water bottle holder.

I like the simple and clean pack design. Looking forword to how it handles heavy loads

It really is.
I'm still learning the ins and outs of a highly technical pack like this one.
There have already been some feature discoveries that are nice "Aha Moments" just when I want something, there the feature is.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been liking my Goshawk 4800 so far. Interested to hear how you like this with 90lbs. I’m running 60lbs for training in my goshawk right now. Just need to get the lumbar pad figured out and I’ll be good.

Solid upgrade you got here.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
#1 Belt Comfort - The belt feels fantastic with the 20lbs on gear I have laying in my office. However, I will be doing a few hikes with 45lbs and 90lbs later this week to determine the comfort under load.

Set your torso height with 45 lbs. Reset it when you go to 90 lbs. Most people need to shorten the torso a bit with heavy loads as it stretches everything to max. It's right when the belt is settled where you want it and you can take weight on the shoulder harness or lift weight off the harness by adjusting the shoulder straps and load lifters. There is a narrow balance point there that can be tricky to find. If you have issues reach out. The packs can fit a wide range, but can take a while to get dialed.

#2 Waterproof - My plan is to take the pack, load it with my down sleeping bag, puffy pants, and puffy jacket and let me garden hose "rain" on it in shower mode for around 1-2 hours.

You'll need to seam seal to pass a 1-2 hour garden hose drench test. The pack will be fine in rain without seam sealing, usually with very little water seepage even in heavy storms.

BTW, blue shop paper towels in the bottom of the packbag and around the seams is an easy way to check for leaks without getting down gear wet.

Last edited:
Sick looking pack. Would love to know the process of getting this made and a general cost as well. Feel free to dm me if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sick looking pack. Would love to know the process of getting this made and a general cost as well.

The order process is step by step....pick your size, your fabric, pockets, etc. Build what you want. Our cart figures the cost as you go. 6-8 week lead times on customs currently.

BTW, blue shop paper towels in the bottom of the packbag and around the seams is an easy way to check for leaks without getting down gear wet.

I agree. It seems like you could answer the question without putting your expensive gear at risk...

MJB

WKR
I'll add 2lbs for more comfort any day.........

Comfort, balance, volume & flexibility are my main wants in a backpack.

Trial153

WKR

That is a great frame for hauling heavy loads. Regardless of the bag weight and total weight. I used heavier packs that didn't haul better, there is more to comfort then just weight.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Comfort with 100+ lb loads was our most important development criteria.
Weight, field adjustable frame height, volume to weight ratio, not needing a raincover, and past that organization buildouts are also important.

A heavy pack doesn't automatically carry heavy loads well, and a light pack doesn't automatically carry loads uncomfortably (granted, there is truth to that for a lot of packs). Do some homework and I'll bet you find this proves out.

bozeman

WKR
I’ve put my Unaweep 4800 thru a lot the past 2 years and it’s held up well. The most I’ve had loaded was right @ 70lbs and it’s as comfy as it can be. I removed the lumbar pad and went with the floating belt design. Quite happy with the setup and load hauling comfort.

tdot

WKR

The best part about my Seek pack is the Comfort, balace, volume, flexibility and it's 3 pounds lighter then my previous packs.

brsnow

WKR
The best part about my Seek pack is the Comfort, balace, volume, flexibility and it's 3 pounds lighter then my previous packs.

There is no longer a need to compromise these days, but people are brand loyal regardless of if it is in there best interest.

bozeman

WKR
I agree Tdot, I've tried all the big names......I would swap in a heartbeat if I could find something more comfy at 'even close' to the weight, but so far, I haven't.

Troutnut

FNG

I imagine it comes down to personal fit for everyone, but I retired my Kifaru the first time I packed out a deer off a mountain with my Seek (Gila 3500). Then I went and ordered a bigger Seek with the same frame for bulkier loads. I haven't tried every brand out there (or even most of them), but the Seek frame carries a heavy load so well (for me, at least) that I can't imagine how anyone could improve much on comfort without adding little jet packs to help lift the load for me.