Seek Outside 6,300

Rokwiia

WKR
I already have a SO Fortress 6,300, on the breakaway platform, which I really like. I also a Gila on the integrated platform and am considering getting a 6,300 bag to use on the integrated platform. Essentially, it would become a Unaweep 6,300.

Should the Unaweep 6,300 handle and carry weight, when full, as well as the Fortress 6,300 on the breakaway platform? Does it carry differently in any other way?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Will carry the same maybe a tad better since the load is integrated with the suspension instead of attached to the suspension … probably not noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Thanks Kevin. I ordered the 6,300 integrated bag in X21. When it arrives, I'll be able to compare the newly-created Unaweep in X21 with the already-owned Fortress 6,300 in X42.

Kindly let me say that you've developed an incredible brand built on both quality and innovation. It allows me to chose to use the Gila (in X21), custom 4,800 in X33, and soon the 6,300 in X-21 in the integrated format based on length of stay and conditions in the field at the time. In addition, I have the Fortress 6,300 in X42 which I love.

My friends laugh as I now switch bags almost as fast as runway models switch outfits!!

Last edited:

HbDane

WKR
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Fortress 6300 it be been kicking packs around through my head for about 3 months not able to decide on one. Lanner? Fortress 6300? Goshawk/Fortress 4800 with merlin......so many tough decisions

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I think it boils down to what your needs are. I live in an area where it is wet. For me, keeping the contents dry is paramount. Organizational components rank second.

The decision for me was easy...get a 6,300 with no zipper. I can add organization with a top lid, Talon (or Merlin), and hipbelt pockets. Some may want a tall side pocket to accomodate equipment.

One thing I will say...the Fortress 6,300 is only 3oz more than the Fortress 4,800. That is the lightest (and cheapest...$40) 1,500ci you will ever be able to buy. I can't think of a good reason not to do so.

I'm also often in a wet environment and want essentially a big dry bag on my frame. I have a fortress 6300 with a Merlin. Its about perfect for me. My only upgrade would be if they made the Merlin in pacx!

Mirror77

FNG
Thanks Kevin. I ordered the 6,300 integrated bag in X21. When it arrives, I'll be able to compare the newly-created Unaweep in X21 with the already-owned Fortress 6,300 in X42.

Kindly let me say that you've developed an incredible brand built on both quality and innovation. It allows me to chose to use the Gila (in X21), custom 4,800 in X33, and soon the 6,300 in X-21 in the integrated format based on length of stay and conditions in the field at the time. In addition, I have the Fortress 6,300 in X42 which I love.

My friends laugh as I now switch bags almost as fast as runway models switch outfits!!
Question regarding the 6300 bags. Looking to purchase my first SO backpack and decided on a 6300. Still deciding on breakaway or integrated but my question is about the side length zipper. Do you find it difficult to pack the bottom of a bag that large without zipper access? The largest bag I currently have is 5500 ci but it has zipper access on the bottom. I lean towards no zipper for added durability and water resistant but it is a large/tall bag to pack.

Wapiti1

WKR
Question regarding the 6300 bags. Looking to purchase my first SO backpack and decided on a 6300. Still deciding on breakaway or integrated but my question is about the side length zipper. Do you find it difficult to pack the bottom of a bag that large without zipper access? The largest bag I currently have is 5500 ci but it has zipper access on the bottom. I lean towards no zipper for added durability and water resistant but it is a large/tall bag to pack.
I've been using the fortress 6300 bag for several years on multiday backpacking trips (hunting and non) and haven't had any problems. After a couple of trips you get a packing system worked out. I pack all of my clothes and end of day needs, in first, then sleeping bag/pad, the tent/tipi goes in last. Stuff I need often is in the merlin or lid.

That said, it is a large bag and isn't even close to full when I'm packed so there is a lot of space to reach in and fish out what I need. I also put everything in stuff sacks. If I want a pair of socks, I grab the clothes stuff sack. Kill kit, grab that stuff sack.

Would the zipper be easier? Maybe, but it would be hard to use when the talon or merlin is strapped to the front, I think.

Jeremy

I won't be too much help as its been so long since I had a pack with a zipper. I had a Kifaru High Camp (no zipper) before my SO, and a K2 Long Bed (I think it may have had bottom access zipper?) before that. If my pack is full, that generally means I'm going someplace, and once I get there, my pack is turning into a daypack for hunting - so it gets emptied out. So I really haven't noticed a need to access the bottom of my pack while packing in or out. What I think I might want access to is either at/near the top, in my Merlin, or strapped onto the outside. FWIW I skipped the lid on my SO. I didn't care for it much on the Kifaru and haven't missed it on the Fortress.

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
For those running an integrated bag with no zipper, is it a pain when loading meat? Access to gear has never been an issue for me loading from the top, but could see the zip being handy when dealing with a pack out.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For those running an integrated bag with no zipper, is it a pain when loading meat? Access to gear has never been an issue for me loading from the top, but could see the zip being handy when dealing with a pack out.
It is harder to load meat as the top has to be held open vs laying flat and cinching it all down. An alternative, is to carry outside pack bag if pack bag is not loaded .. then it's almost like a Breakaway with a talon and sling

Mirror77

FNG
I've been using the fortress 6300 bag for several years on multiday backpacking trips (hunting and non) and haven't had any problems. After a couple of trips you get a packing system worked out. I pack all of my clothes and end of day needs, in first, then sleeping bag/pad, the tent/tipi goes in last. Stuff I need often is in the merlin or lid.

That said, it is a large bag and isn't even close to full when I'm packed so there is a lot of space to reach in and fish out what I need. I also put everything in stuff sacks. If I want a pair of socks, I grab the clothes stuff sack. Kill kit, grab that stuff sack.

Would the zipper be easier? Maybe, but it would be hard to use when the talon or merlin is strapped to the front, I think.

Jeremy

I won't be too much help as its been so long since I had a pack with a zipper. I had a Kifaru High Camp (no zipper) before my SO, and a K2 Long Bed (I think it may have had bottom access zipper?) before that. If my pack is full, that generally means I'm going someplace, and once I get there, my pack is turning into a daypack for hunting - so it gets emptied out. So I really haven't noticed a need to access the bottom of my pack while packing in or out. What I think I might want access to is either at/near the top, in my Merlin, or strapped onto the outside. FWIW I skipped the lid on my SO. I didn't care for it much on the Kifaru and haven't missed it on the Fortress.

It is harder to load meat as the top has to be held open vs laying flat and cinching it all down. An alternative, is to carry outside pack bag if pack bag is not loaded .. then it's almost like a Breakaway with a talon and sling
Thanks to those that responded. I should have been a bit more specific regarding my intended use. I am not a hunter but do several multi day backpacking trips every year. I started looking at “hunting packs” for their ability to carry heavier/larger loads. My current pack is great for a long early winter weekend with friends but as I do more with the kiddos, naturally I will be carrying a lot more. Also, I would rather spend $500-600 on something like a SO rather than $300-400 at REI for obvious reasons.
I figured it might be easier to start with the zipper halfway, pack the bottom, zip it all the way up and then pack the top half. I plan on getting a Talon to hold the items I need to access quickly so access to the main bag while hiking is not important. I also have a HPG chest pack for smaller items. I am leaning towards no zipper and hope to order soon!

Boiserunr

FNG
Mirror77 - I have the unaweep 6300, a a HMG Porter pack (simple pack with one large space), and two other ultralight backpacking packs with one large space, and never found it troublesome to load from the top only. If you have a few things you need while on the move a hip beltpocket or talon would work. I have done some mountaineering and an old guide told me that full zippers are just another failure point and he wouldn't let people take packs up big mountains with zippers as they would just let water in or fail at the worst moments and I have taken that to heart. I do have to pack with a purpose thinking about what I might need next or what I might need in a hurry and pack those at the top. My two cents.

HGH90

FNG
Hi,

I am currently considering buying a Unaweep 6,300.

Obviously understand it is harder to pack meat in the load shelf without a zipper, but is it still doable without too much of an issue?

Thanks!

Boiserunr

FNG
On my unaweep I have had good luck strapping meat on the outside and using the talon and compression straps.

1650550929444.jpeg

Last edited: