Seek Outside 6 vs 8 teepee vs Courthouse

Idaboy

WKR
Would love to hear first hand accounts of courthouse vs one of SO teepee tents....hunt with llamas, 2 guys + gear/stove....once in a while we have 3 in camp....seems like 6 man should cover but wonder if the courthouse would have a more functional space?....8 person teepee seems like overkill for 2 guys (but we are 6'3").....or is the 8 man teepee more comparable to the courthouse?
Thoughts? Comments?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our Facebook group seek outside adventures and instagram have had some discussion . My opinion , they all will work but the courthouse was designed for the llama packer and it’s a pretty sweet place to stay IMO . It’s a lot easier to live out of , dry gear on a dry line between the poles , run cots in a car camp .

If it’s mostly on your back , or you need day to day mobility the others are better but llamas or same camp not moving the courthouse works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 6 man so tp that has been great and has been through some storms but I wish I had the 8 man for the Xtra room

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I can't comment on the courthouse but the 8 man has caught my attention lately. It sure would be nice to have the option to flex pitch down to the foot print of a 6 foot when you had to. Jordan did a podcast with Kevin and Nathan from SO a couple months back while sitting inside an 8 man. You can see how nice and roomy that thing is.

LJ Buck

WKR
The 8man has ample more head space then the 6man, I have the 6man for backpacking with wife and 2 kids. But have always just used a Kifaru Sawtooth or SO cimmaron for 2 people so 6man will be plenty

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
Our Facebook group seek outside adventures and instagram have had some discussion . My opinion , they all will work but the courthouse was designed for the llama packer and it’s a pretty sweet place to stay IMO . It’s a lot easier to live out of , dry gear on a dry line between the poles , run cots in a car camp .

If it’s mostly on your back , or you need day to day mobility the others are better but llamas or same camp not moving the courthouse works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that info!

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
The 8man has ample more head space then the 6man, I have the 6man for backpacking with wife and 2 kids. But have always just used a Kifaru Sawtooth or SO cimmaron for 2 people so 6man will be plenty
Thanks

Clarence

WKR
I have the 8 man. I love the space, weight, and flexibility of it. Use it for my family of 4 and pup in non hunting situations. For hunting, I had 3 of us with a stove, woodpile, and our gear for 7 days and it worked perfectly. Gonna have 4 in it this year. We will take a tarp to keep gear out of the tipi. I feel confident this will be very adequate as well. It has quickly become my most used shelter. My .02

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
I have the 8 man. I love the space, weight, and flexibility of it. Use it for my family of 4 and pup in non hunting situations. For hunting, I had 3 of us with a stove, woodpile, and our gear for 7 days and it worked perfectly. Gonna have 4 in it this year. We will take a tarp to keep gear out of the tipi. I feel confident this will be very adequate as well. It has quickly become my most used shelter. My .02

Yeah the 8 man seems pretty nice and not much weight trade off

If I remember correctly the 8 man with the carbon pole is the same weight as the 6 man with aluminum pole

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
We often use llamas to pack, that is why leaning towards courthouse since weight not as much the issue

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
If I remember correctly the 8 man with the carbon pole is the same weight as the 6 man with aluminum pole

Anyone run a carbon pole for the Courthouse?

Clarence

WKR
I have the aluminum pole. Was told they are stronger. I would imagine folks buying the courthouse usually aren't super weight conscious, and oz. Counters. If you haven't yet I would call seek with questions. Super knowledgeable folks, helpful and friendly, and use/know their products.

Clarence

WKR
I believe the carbon pole saves 8oz. Watching that pole one evening in 45mph winds, I was glad I had the aluminum one. It does bow and flex, even pitched tight and fully guyed out.

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
UPDATE
went with Courthouse. Did awesome, we pack with a few stock, so it was a nice tradeoff for comfort and space, but WAY lighter than a wall tent. Sleeps 2 guys on cots with all gear, 2 chairs and stove...easily will sleep 3 on cots and being careful with gear/space....also nice for when we got stuck out by road and needed to pitch for a night. Would NOT backpack this as just too heavy. Ran a carbon pole (vico marine pole off ebay super cheap)... Courthouse is a great option for spike camp if you have ability to pack in....if backpacking would run a teepee.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is stiffer and yes stronger. Heavy wind can be a bit unpredictable and aluminum flexes a bit which helps, but wind related breakage which has been very very small has been more common in the 8 person aluminum pole to where I do not believe anyone has broken a carbon pole that has been manufactured in recent years on the 6 or 8

Voyageur

WKR
It is stiffer and yes stronger. Heavy wind can be a bit unpredictable and aluminum flexes a bit which helps, but wind related breakage which has been very very small has been more common in the 8 person aluminum pole to where I do not believe anyone has broken a carbon pole that has been manufactured in recent years on the 6 or 8
Thanks, Kevin. Good information.
In the unlikely event of a pole breaking, how do the two materials compare? Do they snap, splinter, bend, shatter, etc?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've seen a few aluminum ones bend to beyond being useful or packable (but still functional at the time) and I have seen a couple snap just outside the inner ferrule near center. I've seen carbon break, but not the 6/8 version . Usually it does one of two things - break under heavy / unmaintained snow load on an adjustment hole , break / snap at an push pin hole near center in high wind issues.