Seek Outside 8 man Combo

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I'm about to pull the trigger on this one. Before I do that, I thought I'd ask those who have used them to report on experience and what options to order. Currently I'm looking at the 8 man combo with xl stove and liner.

Is the factory seam sealing a good idea.
How about the carbon pole?
Anything else?

This tent will primarily be used by my sons and I on deer/elk hunts.

Thanks!

mtbn

FNG
I'm about to pull the trigger on this one. Before I do that, I thought I'd ask those who have used them to report on experience and what options to order. Currently I'm looking at the 8 man combo with xl stove and liner.

Is the factory seam sealing a good idea.
How about the carbon pole?
Anything else?

This tent will primarily be used by my sons and I on deer/elk hunts.

Thanks!
I have the same combo and the 2nd 1/2 liner and the 1/2 floor which is nice. Carbon pole perhaps if backpacking. I seam sealed it myself. How many of you will be in it?

I have the 6 man and love it with the xl stove. I wish I had the carbon pole as I back pack alot. I have never run a liner and never felt like I needed one. Depends on how much weight you want to carry. Great tipi though

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have the same combo and the 2nd 1/2 liner and the 1/2 floor which is nice. Carbon pole perhaps if backpacking. I seam sealed it myself. How many of you will be in it?

We don't have plans to backpack it at this time. There will be four of us on a hunt or two per year and more often two to three of us. Would 5 with mom tagging along be too cramped? I don't suspect that would happen very often.

Did you buy a 2nd liner to make it complete?

dsclowers

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 8-man with the aluminum pole. The pole works great since I don't pack in in anywhere (I have a cimmaron for that). I would highly recommend having them to the seam sealing. I set it up the first time and it would be extremely difficult to reach the tops of the seams. I was very happy that it was already done for me.

The only other thing that I want to get for mine are the gatekeeper straps to help raise the sides off of the ground for ventilation.

mtbn

FNG
I just prefer both liners in all the time. The horse is carrying it. The 8 man is not very big and I brush against the sides quite a bit. Condensation becomes frost in cooler weather and the liner just makes it more comfortable. I went back to a 8 man from a 12 man since it's mostly just me in it anymore. If there were going to be 3 or more people and a stove etc. etc. than even a 12 man would get small in a hurry.

Have had a 12 man for the past 7 yrs. Usually there are 3 of us on cots which is about perfect for spacing. No stove just use a buddy heater heater or 2. This is the 1st year we have dealt with real moisture and think I'm going to add a liner before our next trip, wasn't crazy condensation but enough to notice. We did have a carbon fiber section fail under a few inches of snow at 03:30 in the morning that kind of sucked. Split the entire 2 ft section.

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Thanks guys, this is very helpful. At this point I'm thinking 8 man, xl stove (the stove is a must for me), carbon pole, seam sealing, double liner...

We will be using sleeping pads in this tent, not cots. I have Davis tent with stove for base camp...

Last edited:

bpurtz

WKR
I have the 8 man, full liner, carbon pole, xl stove, factory seam sealed - we did 3 hunters a couple years ago - had 6" of snow so all the gear had to come inside which made pretty tight quarters. We used individual ground tarps under the pads and sleeping bags - had some water come in under on one side - dug a trench and piled some snow on the edge and had no other problems. The ground inside the tipi will dry out fast when you burn some wood in the stove.

I'd say full liner is imperative if burning a lot of wood because the condensation will be heavy in colder weather. I bought some micro spring clips to easily attach and detach the liner - the straps work but are a pita. I also bought extra tent stakes - basically enough for every ground loop - it helped keep the walls from drooping in when the snow piled on the outside.

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Really appreciate all the info you guys provided on the tipi. I ended up with the 8 man with carbon pole, double liner, xl stove. Set it up in the yard yesterday and burned in the stove. Left it up all night. I'm thoroughly impressed!

I will be getting more stakes.

Question: anybody just leave the liner on the tipi when you take it down if there's no condensation? Any problems pitching it that way again?

mtbn

FNG
Really appreciate all the info you guys provided on the tipi. I ended up with the 8 man with carbon pole, double liner, xl stove. Set it up in the yard yesterday and burned in the stove. Left it up all night. I'm thoroughly impressed!

I will be getting more stakes.

Question: anybody just leave the liner on the tipi when you take it down if there's no condensation? Any problems pitching it that way again?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

No issues, just loosen the liners up at the bottom before you take it down. If you leave them tight then the canopy and liner tension will fight each other when you pitch it next time and make it harder to get the canopy pitched right.

Clarence

WKR
I got the half liner with mine. Little bit of a hard time managing moisture in the unlined half. I think the liners really shine when you get into late season, with good snow overnight. Some conditions can be difficult to vent enough to minimize condensation. Will have the liner for both sides next year. I have the aluminum pole. I was told they are stronger. I paid for them to seam seal. Just hard for me to set aside a day for that task. No regrets on this purchase. I have been really impressed with their customer service when I called with questions. They know and use their product line!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 8 man with full liner and aluminum pole and xl stove. I have had 4 guys and gear inside with the stove. It was pretty tight but it was doable. Usually have 3 guys with or without the stove and it isn’t bad at all by backpacking standards. Really like the shelter. If you split it up among your hunting partners it isn’t too bad to pack in. It made me a believer in the floorless shelter with stove idea.

mcseal2

WKR
We have not used ours backpacking, like others we have lighter options for that. We used it on a fly in trip in AK and have used it several times in CO and WY.

We have the 8 man with mosquito netting, liners, XL stove, aluminum pole, and a half floor. Since we got cots we have not used the floor. 2 guys with gear, cots, and the stove is full enough for me. We could do a third, but I wouldn't want to do more.

I really like our set-up and wouldn't change it unless it was to drop weight. The liners are nice to have. We ran a Mr Buddy heater in ours this year and it warmed it up pretty quick. We only ran it for about 15 minutes before bed, and 15 minutes each morning and it still added some condensation. The liners made it not really matter. We had a stock trailer set up as our cook shack and spent evenings there only sleeping in the tipi. That made the propane heater handier than the wood stove. We would have used the wood stove if we had been needing heat more often.