Seek Outside 8-Man: The Story

Consider this a real-world review.

My tipi adventures began over a decade ago with the purchase of a Kifaru 8-Man tipi. That unit made several trips to Alaska until I sold it in 2015. I wasn't sure I'd be using it for a while and didn't want to sit on it. I replaced it with a Sawtooth which I use as my solo shelter. For 2018 I had a friend decide to join me for moose hunting and we decided to buy another 8-Man.

We did some very serious looking at the various manufacturer's shelters. We called and talked with them. We researched online, and we studied feedback reviews. We discussed the features we had to have, and the extras which would be nice. We looked heavily at quality and durability. Finally we considered price (last) as a less important factor. After all this study and collaboration we decided to purchase a Seek Outside 8-Man Tipi.

The shelter was sent to my friend Steve in MO and he did the initial setup and seam sealing. During the summer I was able to help set it up and evaluate it. I was impressed and felt pretty sure we had made the right decision. But nothing tests a piece of gear like an extended trip and that was coming up in September when we would arrive in Alaska.

On the day we flew into camp I went first, followed by Steve. Because of the potential to be stranded (weather, plane issues, etc) the tipi went with me. What I didn't know was that our pilot didn't plan to bring Steve in until much later that day. The bottom line was that I ended up prepping the campsite/footprint area and then setting up the tipi by myself. Ordinarily no problem, but I'd never set this shelter up alone and wasn't sure of any unique particulars. Fortunately Steve had created a laminated cheat sheet setup card and attached it to a piece of paracord. The cord was knotted at 2 points (lengths) which were the correct setback measurements. Due to Steve's logic and my understanding of tipis I was able to get it set up with minimum hassle. I think he was surprised when he arrived to see the new shelter standing tall and tight next to our creek.

nr55CPwl.jpg

We spent 12 days hunting and over that time got to evaluate the tipi very thoroughly. I'll go through the points as they occur to me.

1. 12 days gave us plenty of time to study the stitching on hems, seams and zippers. I'd give it a 9.7 simply because there is no perfection. I could find no cosmetic issues anywhere.

2. The shape and square footage were extremely nice. The tipi always looked great externally. We had way more than enough space for 2 guys, stove, firewood, gear, food, bows, and cookstoves.

3. Little things mean a lot. The hooded/covered zippers were an outstanding advantage in terms of keeping out drips and seeping water during rains. We didn't need or use the external guy-outs but I love having them if ever needed. The sod flap is an excellent upgrade and useful both for excluding weather and securing the bottom edge of the shelter. The longer access zippers make passage in/out much easier.

4. Our tipi is a dark olive color. With the liners installed we had an amazing amount of neutral white light inside. You'd have thought the main shelter was white, given the great light transmission.

5. Stake loops are STOUT. I have had concerns in the past, but these loops are sewn on to stay. I rate them 10.0.

6. The liners (2 halves) did their job with basic perfection. Despite rains, wet ground and high humidity we never experienced any drip or wet gear.

7. We upgraded to a carbon-fiber center-pole and I really liked it. No durability issues as far as I can see. I would likely bring an aluminum pole if camping up high or in places where high winds could hit.

8. Stakes: based on my experiences we brought nothing but MSR Cyclone stakes. They are longer, stronger and hold better than the included Groundhog stakes, which we left at home.

Summary: I really like this shelter! It feels very tightly built and secure. Quality is everywhere. It's definitely professionally built and has no funky aspects. I could find nothing to dislike anywhere. I might advise Seek Outside to somehow identify or mark the side loops which get set back for staking. No big deal but would be nice for faster identification.

We're looking forward to a return next fall. At my suggestion we left 4 key stakes in the ground to mark the exact staking points for front, rear and sides. That way we can simply hook onto those stakes, then pop in the center-pole and add the remaining stakes.

PPPf9XTl.jpg

Great assessment and real world write-up of your experience with this tipi, thank you. I don't own a Seek Outside tipi, but based on my own research and reviews like yours, have always been of the opinion that they took what Kifaru did with the tipi and raised the bar to the next level. Now my only dilemma is do I buy a 6 or 8 man.

Does that have guy outs for extra room? Did you use at all if so?

The SO tipis have guy outs, shown in the photo with orange cord on them. They are spaced so that you can use them as the primary stake out points, and pitch the 8 man as a 6 man.

AdamW

WKR
Great comments Kevin. I got myself a Cimarron and am looking forward to using it here in a couple weeks along with my stove. First extended use with it.

Really enjoy your posts man, if you're ever looking for another Missouri friend for moose hunts, I make decent coffee! Hahahaha.

I love the different color or some kind of id for set back points , especially in bad weather and or night pitching. Great idea

OP
Kevin Dill
Does that have guy outs for extra room? Did you use at all if so?

As stated it does have the guy-outs. I didn't use them because we had a ton of room and were camped in a protected area. My only use for the guy-outs would be to 'pop' the sides just a bit and add some interior clearance. They would also stabilize the tipi in wind to an extent. Another reason we didn't use them was the trip factor. I had enough area cleared for the tipi and room to walk around the perimeter. Putting in exterior lines would have meant a lot of stepping over them, or clearing a larger perimeter area...something I think we'll do next year.

piolet

FNG
Hi,
I'd appreciate your views (pro & con) on the value of having or not having the sod skirts.
I've owned several Kifaru tents (4 man, super tarp, and most recently Sawtooth). Kifaru tents don't have the sod skirts and I've never had a water infiltration issue or felt I needed them. I've also read a few SO reviews that mentioned water pooling on the skirts and dragging down the sides.

I'm considering buying a SO Cimarron and telling them to make it without the sod skirts. What do you think? (I just sold my Sawtooth because I'm mostly doing solo backpack, backcountry camping and while the Sawtooth w/liner was great, it was a big load to hump for one guy). I'm frankly still apprehensive about a tent without a liner, but getting anything bigger than a Cimarron would just be trading one brand and big load for another. Thanks for any views.

OP
Kevin Dill
I can’t imagine any way in which a sod skirt or flap would cause drag on a tipi due to holding water. The sod skirt lays flat to the ground. If it doesn’t lay flat it means the tipi is pitched or staked incorrectly. Any water which accumulates on the surface of the skirt would simply press it down to the soil....and that’s only if the skirt is pulled outside the tipi edges. Keeping the skirt pulled inside the tipi would completely eliminate any rain water accumulation. One very useful thing about a skirt is the ability to place stones on it and add additional hold-down power to the pitch. It also reduces wind incursions inside the shelter during a heavy windstorm. I’ve experienced that and it’s one reason ALL my shelters will have a sod skirt on them.