Seek Outside; 8 person tipi, Redcliff or Cimmaron - size comparison

I'm trying to make a decision between getting a Seek Outside Redcliff Light or a Cimmaron Light.

This shelter will be used in Alaska, for fly-in ridge top moose hunts, during the month of September. The maximum group size will be 3 hunters. All of whom have solo tents for sleeping and storing personal gear.

The new shelter will be used as a cook tent and a place to warm up around the stove (size: Large).

I currently have an 8-person Tipi, which has been used as our groups only shelter. At this point...we'd like to be able to spread out a little more and have our own space, yet still have a place to hang out. In addition, I'm looking for something with a smaller profile in the wind and a smaller footprint. The difference in weight or cost between the two shelters isn't a primary concern.

The diagram below is a to-scale representation of the footprint differences between an 8-person Tipi, Redcliff and Cimmaron. At the bottom of the diagram are some of the other specs.

(clicking on the thumbnail below will show you the full image)

For those of you with experience in the Redcliff and/or Cimmaron...what are your thoughts on the following;

-Is the Cimmaron roomy enough to sit upright in, with 3 guys and a Large stove, without feeling like you're being pushed into the center too much? (thinking in terms of side wall slope angles)
-Does the extra length in the Redcliff result in useable space? Or, is the angle of the canopy so shallow that you can only use the space for smaller items? Does the increased footprint size justify the extra space?
-How much of a difference does the extra 10 inches of height in the Redcliff make? (thinking in terms of side wall slope angles)

Without having experience with either shelter......my preference is leaning towards the Cimmaron. The advantages seem to be a smaller footprint and a lower profile (wind). The disadvantage could be feeling a little cramped.

Please chime in with your thoughts.....

52DC9D4C-CA1A-49FF-9AB1-7B5DEA341B7B.jpeg

Attachments

• Seek Outside 8-person, Redcliff, Cimarron - size comparison.pdf
    399.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Superdoo

WKR
Looks good. It would be nice to see the layout options with sleeping pad dimensions and also side views (if you posted because you wanted feedback).

Hoghead

WKR
I have a Cimarron and my buddy and I love it great for 2 people and a stove but 3 would be to cramped. Don't have any information on the others sorry.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I would go with the Redcliff. I use it solo and sometimes wish I had the Cim. But for 3 people, no way I would want to use the Cim. In my RC 3 people a stove and wood pile would totally fill that foot print. I will add I upgraded the Carbon Fiber pole to the one from the 8man tipi for more strength. My stock one broke in a wind gust and left me in a peril situation during a wet snow storm. A good log pole would work even better. If weight isn't the issue, the go with the standard RC so you have a 2 door option for the 3 people as that will make it easier to come and go and not stepping over each person.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv hunted out of a cimmaron and redcliff.

I’d categorize them as following
Cimmaron: 1 person and stove, 2 people no stove and it’s comfortable. Sitting in it can be a pain in the ass With the stove
Redcliff is comfortable for 2 and a stove running, three is a pinch but works better than 2 in the cimmaron. You can use a small chair in the redcliff comfortably.

If I were in your shoes I’d do the redcliff. I’ll hang onto my cimmaron but really it’s a fair weather 2 man tent, and just too tight with a stove and 2

Voyageur

WKR
Upfront: I have no experience with the Cimmaron or the Redcliff.
I do however often wonder if there are better options than my 8 man tipi and have looked long and hard at a replacement. Namely in regards to "usable" space, so I can relate to your post.
If you definitely want to replace the 8 man I understand, but I'm just throwing out the opinion that for the use you described....ridge top moose hunt in September, the 8 man seems like it would fit the bill nicely as a central hang out shelter for 3 hunters.
Again, not in any way arguing with you, but just thinking out loud that you might already own a better option than the two you are considering???

OP
MaraviaDave
Upfront: I have no experience with the Cimmaron or the Redcliff.
I do however often wonder if there are better options than my 8 man tipi and have looked long and hard at a replacement. Namely in regards to "usable" space, so I can relate to your post.
If you definitely want to replace the 8 man I understand, but I'm just throwing out the opinion that for the use you described....ridge top moose hunt in September, the 8 man seems like it would fit the bill nicely as a central hang out shelter for 3 hunters.
Again, not in any way arguing with you, but just thinking out loud that you might already own a better option than the two you are considering???
…..I’ve been thinking about your comments. I agree. The 8 man does seem to be the best option, all things considered. Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions.

I’ve got a Cimmeron and an 8 man. I’d agree with sticking to the 8 man.

We put four in my 8 man with a stove last year and it was tight. When we did 3 it was more ideal and comfortable long term.

Similarly two in the Cimmeron is doable easily but can get tight after a few days. It’s a better long term shelter for one and if I were to a put two people in a shelter with gear for longer than 2-3 days I’d prefer a redcliff.