Seek Outside Beyond Timberline 2---Any Reviews?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mine isn't an unbiased opinion, but I can give you my impressions after elk hunting in one a bit this week.

First, the BT2 is a strong little shelter. It pitches extremely tight, and seems like it will shed weather very well. It was tight in wind.

It is a one man shelter if you're running a stove. It'll fit two without a stove but its tighter than an LBO.

Compared to the LBO I really like the BT2 as a solo shelter. I like the LBO as a solo/two/four man shelter.

The BT2 can be pitched with one or both doors open as a tarp style pitch. This allows for really good ventilation in fair weather.

Overall I think its a good sized tent, and it will prove to handle crappy weather really well. The LBO has already proven that, but the BT2 being a tipi has less to catch wind and from a design eye I suspect it will perform as good or better.

za7egyda.jpg

alukban

FNG
I hope to get one soon (which I won!) with their new carbon fiber poles and a stove jack.

I plan on using it a lot. When I do I will post pics.

The specs on it look awesome: only 22oz (1.375 lbs), 9' diameter and a little over 5' high. My seated height (indian sitting on the ground) is only a touch over 3'.

I have a 10'x10' SilNylon tarp which weighs an even 1.5 lbs with 8 Ti stakes and guy-out lines. In comparison , I estimate that this thing will weigh right at about 2 lbs with their carbon fiber pole and Ti stakes. I think it is an awesome, totally snot proof setup.

In looking at the GoLite SL3, their specs say that it is about 4.5 lbs (because of the nest it comes with) and about the same square-footage (59.2 sq-ft vs 56 sq-ft for the BT2) and height. Their prices are about the same at the 300 dollar mark but the SL3 actually already comes with the nest.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The BT2 looks like a cool setup for sure.

Compared to the SL-3 both flys weigh in within an oz of each other (BT2 @ 22, and SL-3 @ 23). The SL-3 has the ability to guy addition guy outs mid way up the shelter for use in heavy winds. Don't think you could go wrong with either. I really wish GoLite would sell their tipis and nest separately to give the customer the option to purchase what they want. $200 for the SL-3 fly, pole and some stakes, and another $100 for the nest if one was so inclined seems reasonable.

Anyways I don't think you could go wrong either way.

DaveC

WKR
Looking forward to using one. For me the LBO is a bit too big for 1 or 2 person use. I have every confidence that the lack of midpanel tieouts will go unnoticed.