Seek Outside Cimarron Ultralight DCF

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

Does the DCF Cimarron pitch any differently than the nylon with regards to how tight you should pull it?

Mitten32

WKR
What do you like about the DCF more than the standard material?

Weight is the most obvious but I think it was more so some of the complaints I have heard about DCF in the past turned out to be a for me non-issue for me. Some say it’s louder in rainy/windy conditions but I certainly didn’t notice a substantial difference between this and my older seek outside 4 man. I never woke up due to noise of the shelter. It held up to heavy winds and rain just as well as the standard material. I thought I would miss the doors on both sides as part of weight savings. After second this time using it I never thought about having a second door. It not as packable as the standard material but I run a bigger pack in general so that was also a issue for me.

If I want to hunt solo it’s a pretty big shelter at pretty minimal weight penalty. You maybe find lighter options but the size of the cimarron for one guy is really hard to beat.

Multiple season of use will be the ultimate test for durability but so far so good.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any suggestions for a boiling pot to throw on top of a stove?

Melting snow, boiling water for meals.

I really prefer pots with bails so I can cut a short section of branch with a fork in it, and use that as a pot lifter when the pot is hot.

Beyond that it's about sizing, weight, and cost.

For a small pot the little one we sell is pretty awesome. Has a bail plus regular mug handles so it's really versatile.

For melting snow, I want size at a low weight, and preferably sized so you can get two on the stove at once....use up all the available heating area. Toaks makes some bailed titanium pots that are bigger, or you could go with a cheaper aluminum.

I've also got a stainless zebra pot that I use for truck camping that works great.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Does the DCF Cimarron pitch any differently than the nylon with regards to how tight you should pull it?

Not really. DCF is probably a bit easier to pitch because you don't have get the tension right due to no stretch. In general for all our tents you want to get the right footprint size, and add tension with the pole. Don't try to stretch the fabric to peg the stakes when you're doing the footprint and then add tension when the pole goes up.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I really prefer pots with bails so I can cut a short section of branch with a fork in it, and use that as a pot lifter when the pot is hot.

Beyond that it's about sizing, weight, and cost.

For a small pot the little one we sell is pretty awesome. Has a bail plus regular mug handles so it's really versatile.

For melting snow, I want size at a low weight, and preferably sized so you can get two on the stove at once....use up all the available heating area. Toaks makes some bailed titanium pots that are bigger, or you could go with a cheaper aluminum.

I've also got a stainless zebra pot that I use for truck camping that works great.

What size pot would you recommend for boiling snow on a Large U-turn? What size if you're using two?

Thanks!

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love mine it weighs almost nothing and has plenty of room. Used it on an elk/black bear hunt solo and it was like the Taj mahal and it doesn't sag when cold. but it doesn't compress down very good.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I absolutely love mine it weighs almost nothing and has plenty of room. Used it on an elk/black bear hunt solo and it was like the Taj mahal and it doesn't sag when cold. but it doesn't compress down very good.
Fold and roll gets it smaller. Just stuffing yes, and we don't recommend stuffing .

Life span depends on a few things like how it’s stored etc but it’s also hard use as a blanket statement . First there have been improvements in DCF over the years so some things may be old facts that may not be true anymore . It also depends on the grade of the DCF fabric .

FWIW I’ve seen one that has went on a complete thru hike from 2 years ago (pct)and it looks good . I would consider it to have a lot of nights left (like another thru hike ) . However , that being said if cost/ longevity is more of a concern than weight or other benefits by all means stick with the nylon shelters . For me , I’ll use both , but if I have a DCF one I will more than likely use it if I’m carrying it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glad somebody necro’d this thread because you mention life span depending on storage. With the season winding down, how do you recommend we store this shelter long term?

glad somebody necro’d this thread because you mention life span depending on storage. With the season winding down, how do you recommend we store this shelter long term?

Kevin might have a different idea as to the best way to store a DCF shelter, but I’ve never had any issues with just folding, rolling them up, and packing away in a cool dry place. Although “cool” is probably not a necessary requirement. Obviously, clean and dry prior to storing.

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
Fold and roll gets it smaller. Just stuffing yes, and we don't recommend stuffing .
I will try to fold and roll a little better to see if I can fit it in the stuff sack better, It is an amazing shelter thank you to you and your staff for an awesome product!

Rick M.

WKR
Did you guys buy aftermarket stakes or were the ones that come with the Silex solid? Their website recommends robust stakes for high winds. I was considering grabbing a set of their twisted stakes for the main anchor points.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Did you guys buy aftermarket stakes or were the ones that come with the Silex solid? Their website recommends robust stakes for high winds. I was considering grabbing a set of their twisted stakes for the main anchor points.
I think the best combination is Easton Style stakes (The tube ones) or MSR Core stakes combined with 2 titanium or carbon stakes for guy outs.

If you think there’s a chance of experiencing high winds, you’ll definitely want at least 4 MSR Cyclones for your main/four corners.