Seek Outside Cimarron Ultralight DCF

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
What stove would you go with?

I'm thinking either the seek Cub, or the seek large. The medium to large weight jump eliminates the medium for me.

Any other better stoves out there?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The upcoming U-Turns would be a good fit for a DCF Cim. Lighter than the regular box stoves, still durable and easy to cook on.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Probably early Nov. lot of backend stuff still to do, product is pretty nailed already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Any lighter route to go with the center pole?

(Besides the beaver route)

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any lighter route to go with the center pole?

(Besides the beaver route)

Seek Outside Trekking pole hitch or stick otherwise not much that actually does well in crappy weather.

Here are your options really

You could use a trekking pole extension but that is likely to bust your tip in poor weather say above 30 MPH
A lighter aluminum one from 7075 and 5/8 or larger may suffice but a pole at REI from 6000 is not sturdy enough for winds above 30 or so.
Lighter Carbon once again its a balance of performance ..

DCF because it does not stretch actually puts a bit more stress on poles and stake points. Just an FYI

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Seek Outside Trekking pole hitch or stick otherwise not much that actually does well in crappy weather.

Here are your options really

You could use a trekking pole extension but that is likely to bust your tip in poor weather say above 30 MPH
A lighter aluminum one from 7075 and 5/8 or larger may suffice but a pole at REI from 6000 is not sturdy enough for winds above 30 or so.
Lighter Carbon once again its a balance of performance ..

DCF because it does not stretch actually puts a bit more stress on poles and stake points. Just an FYI

What stove would you go with in the dcf Cimarron?

Fishty206

Lil-Rokslider
I have the silvertip I bought used with a stove jack. Now I just need the stove but the tent is great and way mor convenient than setting up most shelters.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What stove would you go with in the dcf Cimarron?

It depends on what you want to do.

Performance advantages go to bigger stoves.

- Burn Time
- Wood Use
- Heat Output
- Cooking / Melting snow
- Wood Prep

Smaller stoves are lighter to pack.

So if you want to dry gear and warm up and plan on taking a canister stove to cook, a smaller stove is fine.

If you plan to burn it a lot or to use it for cooking or melting snow to make water, bigger is better. Especially melting snow...getting 2 or 3 pots going at same time is 200% or 300% faster, and that takes so long anyway.

Wood prep- break 1000 feet of branches into 10 inch lengths vs 14 inch lengths, 25% decrease in work.

Just things to think about, no wrong answer really.

A medium or large is a good size for that shelter.

Personally, I would opt for a U-Turn in the DCF. It’ll save an additional 11-12 oz vs standard, and if I were ponying up for the weight savings of DCF I’d go for the weight savings there too.

I mean, depending on pole and stake options, you can be sub 4 lbs for a 2 person hot tent with plenty of room. That’s mind blowing.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
It depends on what you want to do.

Performance advantages go to bigger stoves.

- Burn Time
- Wood Use
- Heat Output
- Cooking / Melting snow
- Wood Prep

Smaller stoves are lighter to pack.

So if you want to dry gear and warm up and plan on taking a canister stove to cook, a smaller stove is fine.

If you plan to burn it a lot or to use it for cooking or melting snow to make water, bigger is better. Especially melting snow...getting 2 or 3 pots going at same time is 200% or 300% faster, and that takes so long anyway.

Wood prep- break 1000 feet of branches into 10 inch lengths vs 14 inch lengths, 25% decrease in work.

Just things to think about, no wrong answer really.

A medium or large is a good size for that shelter.

Personally, I would opt for a U-Turn in the DCF. It’ll save an additional 11-12 oz vs standard, and if I were ponying up for the weight savings of DCF I’d go for the weight savings there too.

I mean, depending on pole and stake options, you can be sub 4 lbs for a 2 person hot tent with plenty of room. That’s mind blowing.

Good info. Thanks.

What is the soup to nuts total weight on the u turn with stove pipe length required for the Cimarron? How big is it's fire box?

Thanks.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good info. Thanks.

What is the soup to nuts total weight on the u turn with stove pipe length required for the Cimarron? How big is it's fire box?

Thanks.
2 lbs ish and 640 or a couple ounces more for a large and 900 ish. Essentially they are the medium and large stoves with 2.5 inch pipes and foil on 3 sides that save 12 ounces or so on a 6 . ft pipe

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Does the DCF Cimarron come with stakes and cords, or do you need to get that elsewhere?

I know the center pole is an add on item.

Dinger

WKR
I guess you need a saw to cut a center pole, correct? - something I typically don't carry.

For my floorless from a different manufacture I just break the stick/branch/sapling off at roughly the right length, if its too long I dig a hole, too short and you jam a rock or something under it.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Any suggestions for a boiling pot to throw on top of a stove?

Melting snow, boiling water for meals.