Seek outside Cimmaron

bbrown

WKR
I have used a couple different pyramid tents (Oware and GoLite) and the shape of the Cimarron looks to be an improvement for sure. Add in the 2nd door and I am real curious about this one.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have used a couple different pyramid tents (Oware and GoLite) and the shape of the Cimarron looks to be an improvement for sure. Add in the 2nd door and I am real curious about this one.

Me too!!! Thinking about getting one as well to use during our summer hikes and such when we don't need the super windy worthy Sawtooth or a stove jack as I will be ordering one sans stove jack to keep weight down.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I was all set to buy the LBO from them until they released this tent. Provided it arrives in time I will be putting it to use on a spring bear hunt in a couple months.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm trying to decide between this shelter and the BT2....and the sierra designs tensegrity 2 elite. The Cimarron looks awesome for a floorless option. I haven't had a mid before so tough to make that leap. With the Cimmaron anf BT2 nest you're in 57 ounces.....but I'd only carry that with the wife.

DaveC

WKR
Thanks for the shoutout westernsloper. I haven't seen the Cimarron, but I think it will become one of Seek Outsides biggest sellers. Putting Seek Outside features and quality on a classic design (with some added height over comparable mids) seems like a surefire combo.

MT Wyatt, I'd lean towards the BT2 is you're going to use it solo 50% or more of the time, if you're someone who mostly hunts backpacking style (moving camp every night), and of course definitely if you're an ounce counter like me. If you're 6'4" or taller, camp with 1 or 2 other folks most of the time, and have more of a wall tent sensibility the Cimarron seems like the obvious choice. The Tensegrity is a totally different thing, and in my book more of a warm conditions, lots of bugs shelter. Mids rock in Montana.

Wood stove use would also be a factor. With a stove the BT2 is a solo or solo plus dog shelter only.

jm1607

WKR
Looks like a perfect 2-person tent..

If I didn't have an SL5 I'd heavily consider it.. I think the dimensions are way better as well as the double doors compared to the SL5.. A little less square footage than the SL5..

The question for me is a 2nd door worth 7 more oz.. Not sure

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Thanks for the shoutout westernsloper. I haven't seen the Cimarron, but I think it will become one of Seek Outsides biggest sellers. Putting Seek Outside features and quality on a classic design (with some added height over comparable mids) seems like a surefire combo.

MT Wyatt, I'd lean towards the BT2 is you're going to use it solo 50% or more of the time, if you're someone who mostly hunts backpacking style (moving camp every night), and of course definitely if you're an ounce counter like me. If you're 6'4" or taller, camp with 1 or 2 other folks most of the time, and have more of a wall tent sensibility the Cimarron seems like the obvious choice. The Tensegrity is a totally different thing, and in my book more of a warm conditions, lots of bugs shelter. Mids rock in Montana.

Wood stove use would also be a factor. With a stove the BT2 is a solo or solo plus dog shelter only.

Thanks for the feedback, the tensegrity is definitely the oddball of that group :) Backpack hunt 90% of the time, mostly with a partner so the livability of a side entrance shelter with tarp weight is a huge draw to the sierra designs tent. My wife "refuses" to come with in a floorless shelter, but mids are so appealing. BT2 with the nest might just be the ticket.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Maybe Kevin will chime in here, but I'm wondering how it differentiates from the LBO with 3 piece vestibule. The length dimensions are almost identical, and I couldn't fit in the LBO without my feet or head touching the sloped walls. Wondering if the Cimarron has more vertical walls or is the same as the LBO?

GLB

WKR
I have been looking at this one as well. Need to fit two with gear and a med size dog.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is a fair amount larger than the LBO base "rear" dimensions. It doesn't seem like much as it is technically only a few inches but it is pretty significant. There are some other considerations that make it "feel" bigger as well. In fact, I would guess a 6' 6" person could sleep nearly at the wall and be fine when it is guyed out at that center seam. Some of these are due to the slightly taller height, some of them are construction / catenary cut / orientation differences. I am not sure exactly how it compares sq footage wise to an SL5, but my guess is it feels larger and much more usable. Some of this is due to dual entrances, some due to angles, etc. We did not due a direct comparison, but we had an SL5 in our shop for a sod skirt addition and during the process checked against it, as we wanted to make sure we were offering what we thought was a better more usable tent.

BT 2 nest is a L zip. Works well when used with a pole in the center, but can be configured to work without one. Our standard 2 P nest does not require a pole in the center and has a full zip , but the person sleeping in the rear, will feel they are not getting the better part of the deal.

What else can I answer ? I think Dave nailed it on BT 2 sizing.

Weight, we don't think the place to save weight is in a zipper that isn't up to task. Zipper finish is the worse place to save weight on almost any item (sleeping bag ?). It it better in our opinion to do them right, or do away with them. We also believe venting , and ease of getting in and out / livability etc is important, so we strive to take a well balanced approach to design. Yes, we would love to make ounces just vanish but quality materials etc add weight.

2 and gear and a mid sized dog, should work great IMO

Any pictures with a stove? That looks like it could be tight with 2 sleeping bags. I have not seen the stove jack either. Also, any pics with some people for reference? I couldn't tell from your website, but do you have a correct sized pole for it yet or is that in the works?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have a carbon pole for it. Limited quantities at the moment but a very nice pole. I'll get some photos with people over the weekend

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes and large vent stove jack optional . I know I am biased but I think the Cimarron is terrific and will be very well received . Just my opinion , but I'm really happy and all the people from the design team are very pleased as well

AXEL

WKR
I just logged back on, ill with an acute abdomen for a week+, to flatly state that the Cimarron, with the large vent/stove jack option AND optional no-see-um door netting offered, would be with a light Ti stove, THE BOMB for about any camping, anywhere in western/northern Canada.

I hope that Angie decides to offer this option as I really, really, really WANT ONE!!! :) :) :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just logged back on, ill with an acute abdomen for a week+, to flatly state that the Cimarron, with the large vent/stove jack option AND optional no-see-um door netting offered, would be with a light Ti stove, THE BOMB for about any camping, anywhere in western/northern Canada.

I hope that Angie decides to offer this option as I really, really, really WANT ONE!!! :) :) :)

Get better man!!
And yes that would be a great setup!!