Seek outside Cimmaron

Take-a-knee

Banned
What's everyone doing to seam seal? Are you using the included silnet or silicone/mineral spirits? Also what are you using for guyout line? I just realize I ordered tensioners on Amazon over a month ago and haven't seen them

Permatex Flowable Windshield & Glass Sealer. Item # 81730. Clean the seam first with rubbing alcohol or methanol. After that dries squirt a thin bead of the permatex on the center of the seam and tool it out with an acid/flux brush from the plumbing dept. I like to get the seam stretched out nice and tight before sealing as the silicone is less stretchy than the fabric. Gob it on an un-taught seam and the sealer will fail. Silnet sucks, the applicator is designed to waste the overpriced product in order to sell you more of the same overpriced product. As for silicone and solvent, no one ever gives a recipe to mix it. If I was doing a twelve-man tipi I might consider it, it might actually save some money then and be worth the trouble. The Permatex COMES in the proper consistency.

I should add that NAPA sells a version under their name that works as well, and both the NAPA and the Permatex can be used to patch silnylon. I've gotta 3yo patch on my SL3 that is still intact.

7mag.

WKR
First trip with the Cimmaron and Smith Cylinder Stove. It went very well, I was very impressed with both. I'm standing by my feeling that the Cimmaron needs more guy out points, I'm not sure why they don't come with more.

I was very excited to try out the stove. The stove itself was very easy to assemble, and after the initial burn, a week ago, the pipe was much easier as well. I was pleased to discover that it only took ten to fifteen minutes to completely heat the Cimmaron to t-shirt temperatures.

Attachments

• 20150606_065239_resized.jpg
    20150606_065239_resized.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 302

7mag.

WKR
The Cimmaron is very roomy. It easily fit two guys their gear, and the stove.

Attachments

• 20150605_191449_resized.jpg
    20150605_191449_resized.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 420

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What length pipe is that? And if the two people are 6'6" how much closer does that put our pads/bags or quilts to the stove so our heads or feet aren't touching the shelter sides? Where else would you want guy outs?

7mag.

WKR
What length pipe is that? And if the two people are 6'6" how much closer does that put our pads/bags or quilts to the stove so our heads or feet aren't touching the shelter sides? Where else would you want guy outs?

The pipe is 7ft. Two guys at 6'6" would be a little closer to the center. I'm 6'1", and I have a long/wide bivy and pad. My gear is on the right. There are only two guyouts, one at each end. There could easily be four more without interfering with the doors. That would give more vertical wall space, allowing you to sleep closer to the wall. Although we didn't encounter any wind, more guyouts would obviously help handle the wind.

7mag.

WKR
How was the condensation given you were pitched in that meadow?

Better than I expected. There was condensation about a foot up all the way around, until the morning, when we fired the stove up and melted the frost. At that point the entire shelter was pretty wet, inside and out. Not enough to drip though. After the first night, it seemed like we may have dried up the ground under the shelter, and we didn't have frost again.

7mag.

WKR
Keep in mind that this was our first trip with the Cimmaron, so my observations and opinions are based on limited experience with this setup.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind that this was our first trip with the Cimmaron, so my observations and opinions are based on limited experience with this setup.
Great report none-the-less. Looking forward to picking one up!

How many feet of guyline do I need? Also, anyone ever taken the tip off of an REI tarp tent pole? I was going to and replace with a rubber cap but don't want to destroy it

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Is the cimmaron big enough for 3 guys and a stove minus gear?

I agree with 7 mag. Though I only have 3 nights in it thus far, the size is larger than the sl-5 (especially if using guylines to suspend the bottom of the tent 4" or so off the ground to manage condensation) and I have had 4 plus gear in the sl-5 as well and it was doable. The 2 doors really open up the useable space IMO. Less worry about leaving a path to the one door and such.

cscalvin

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with 7 mag. Though I only have 3 nights in it thus far, the size is larger than the sl-5 (especially if using guylines to suspend the bottom of the tent 4" or so off the ground to manage condensation) and I have had 4 plus gear in the sl-5 as well and it was doable. The 2 doors really open up the useable space IMO. Less worry about leaving a path to the one door and such.

Awesome, thanks!

Clarktar

WKR
X8lABZs.jpg

Got it with the nest. The nest is different than the one pictured on the Seek Outside store website. It's all mesh walls. I think it will be great for warm weather. The floor isn't super slick like silnylon. Haven't weighed it yet. My wife and I will fit in the nest just fine.

G7GEjiV.jpg

The Cimarron looks great, and I'm very happy with it from my first impressions. A good fit for what I'll be using it for, I hope. Don't want to say too much until we've used it some, though. Setup is simple - the video on youtube about the setup for the Cimarron was helpful.

How did you setup the nest in the cimarron? WOndering what you tied off the top to. Also did you find somewhere to tie off the midpoints of the nest somewhere? Did you just connect the perimeter loops to the stakes used on the cimarron? Thanks!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
How did you setup the nest in the cimarron? WOndering what you tied off the top to. Also did you find somewhere to tie off the midpoints of the nest somewhere? Did you just connect the perimeter loops to the stakes used on the cimarron? Thanks!

Not western sloper, but we used a half nest in our Cimmaron for the first time last week. There were no internal loops on the inside of the shelter at all, save what is designed to tie back the two doors. We used a piece of shock cord off the top of our nest and tied it to the wrist loop on the top of the trekking poles we use as a center pole. We used 4 stakes inside the Cimmaron to stake down the four corners of our nest.

Hope that helps, I don't remember if we got any pictures or not, I will try to look.

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks. I figured it was tied to the center pole, as there is nothing to tie it to. I ran some glow-wire from the corners of the nest (which came with linelocs) to the nearest stake that the cimarron was using. Seems to be working well enough.

I have it pitched with a random carbon pole I have for the center, but I will likely use the double trekking pole method... It sure is roomy. We bought the nest in order to pen up our 1.5 year old, while we sleep in the other half!!