Seek outside Cimmaron

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks good Clarktar, and it appears your littlest hunting partner approves ;)

We are doing something similar with tie outs on the corners of the nest in our sawtooth, but opted for stakes in the Cimmaron to avoid tripping hazards. Probably a non issue, but the placement of the nest inside the Cimmaron (or similarly shaped SL5 we used to use) varies a lot more depending on terrain. In other words, we almost never put the nest up the same way twice inside those shelters, while it is in pretty much the same place everytime we set up the Sawtooth.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use a prusik on the pole and tension stuff to there. I can slide it up , hang a light etc as well

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Hey yall, would a cimarron be an acceptable shelter for spiking out on the south end of Kodiak in early September? We are renting a base camp and I'm in need of a new backpacking tent. The Cimarron would be a great choice for nearly all the other hunts I pack in for in the lower 48, but this trip to Kodiak has me questioning my gear. Luke mentions using an SL5 and this one might be better. After getting familiar with the Cimarron does that still hold true Luke? Mine will have a stove jack for use down here but not sure about taking the stove up there as have been told there's no usable wood on the south end of the island.
Any advise is appreciated!

mauidiver

WKR
a9fd59bfd280018092f31dcc9fb2b34f.jpg

b3984663948d97c67e2851954188a992.jpg

Man!! That nest looks nothing like what they have on their site. I wonder why they took out the solid walls on the sides. It really looks more like a mosquito nest now. How much is the nest? But love the idea. This would be perfect for Texas winters for sure. But I would definately like a more solid nest option then that.

Clarktar

WKR
THey still have the solid walls. I just did not feel I needed solid walls while inside my shelter. For us, the nest is more for standalone use in nice weather, simply to keep bugs away, or combined with a lightweight minimalist tarp (e.g., jimmy tarps flat tarp).

THe other use is inside our shelter, as a means of "locking" up our daughter who joins us. It is pretty hard to sleep together with her between us, as she is up all night real excited about all of us hanging out together etc. This way, we can put her in the nest, zip it up, and let her fall asleep on her own while we hang out enjoying the view, wine, whatever... then sneek on in when she is asleep.

deadwolf

WKR
Hey yall, would a cimarron be an acceptable shelter for spiking out on the south end of Kodiak in early September? We are renting a base camp and I'm in need of a new backpacking tent. The Cimarron would be a great choice for nearly all the other hunts I pack in for in the lower 48, but this trip to Kodiak has me questioning my gear. Luke mentions using an SL5 and this one might be better. After getting familiar with the Cimarron does that still hold true Luke? Mine will have a stove jack for use down here but not sure about taking the stove up there as have been told there's no usable wood on the south end of the island.

If it's all right I'll respond to your post, since I'm in the same boat as you! I have a spring bear hunt on Kodiak in 2016 and I'm staring at the Cimmaron sitting in my cart right now. I am gonna get mine with a stove jack and I do plan to bring a stove along on the trip. I'm thinking it's not that much added weight, considering I'll be flying in, and I'd rather have it along and not need it rather than wish it was there. While I haven't yet hunted the area I'll be in, I do believe there is wood on the south end of the island, it just comes in the willow and alder variety.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Man!! That nest looks nothing like what they have on their site. I wonder why they took out the solid walls on the sides. It really looks more like a mosquito nest now. How much is the nest? But love the idea. This would be perfect for Texas winters for sure. But I would definately like a more solid nest option then that.

Why do you want a more solid nest option? What are you hoping to accomplish with silnylon walls on the nest then bug netting? I actually prefer bug netting over solid walls after having owned and used both. My bug netting walled nests have been all over Alaska with me. With no problems.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

I have spiked out in the SL-5 since 2010 till last year in my SL-5 on over half a dozen trips to Kodiak. It can and will work. You stated you were spiking out with the shelter meaning you have a solid base camp to fall back to? Or atleast leaving a stout tent where the plane drops you off at? I usually do this on Kodiak cause if SHTF I want to be able to have a place to come back to I know will withstand some horrid weather.

I did have my SL-5 rip apart in a storm on Kodiak last fall. However, this is mainly because I had multiple shelters to fall back to and was lazy about where I chose to pitch my tent. Had the SL-5 been my only shelter on this hunt I would have hacked a hole out in the alders and been more than fine in that same storm. Site selection is paramount IMO and a bomber tent in an exposed location will still suffer more than a lesser one tucked into the alders.

That said I will be going to Kodiak end of October and also in early May of next year for brown bear hunts. On the fall hunt I will have a substanial base camp which will likely be a 12 man tipi and a 6 man guide model and then be spiking out with a Kifaru sawtooth if needed.

On the spring hunt we are traveling 15 miles (floating and hiking) just to reach the area we want to hunt my wife's bear tag on Kodiak. Since this involves packing all the gear including packrafts this means we will only being taking one tent and that tent will be the Kifaru Sawtooth again as I know and have seen first hand the kind of winds it can take and I am confident if I pitch it in a semi protected place and not too exposed it will stand up to all but the very worst of what Kodiak can throw at me. Which is what I want given it will be our sole shelter on that trip with only a lightweight cuben fiber 17 oz tipi to fall back to if it fails.

However if you can find areas in the alders and hack out an oasis in the brush to pitch your Cimmaron you should be will setup to withstand some very high winds. Which in the end will save ya some serious money and a little bit of weight over the Sawtooth. And if you have a solid base camp tent to fall back to while spiking out I would have no problem using a simple pyramid style tipi on Kodiak. But everyone is different with different standards on what makes them feels comfortable.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply Luke. Exactly the advise I was looking for. Yes we are renting a Kodiak Kamp 10x10 with heater for base camp.

Luke,

How about Kodiak early November? I'm booked to the south end of Kodiak on October 31 this year. I assume there is some risk of snow at goat elevation by that point. Have a couple SL-5s we could use, it they aren't really snow camping tents.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
YK,

Sometimes goat hunting it can be tough to tuck in somewhere as you know. When I go late (or early depending on how you look at it) season for goats in March the last two years I have gone with a Hilleberg. Ideally having both a Hilleberg and a SL-5 on the mountain would be the best. I use a pyramid tipi nearly every year on my October hunts, but I wouldn't want to leave my SL-5 setup while I am away while its snowing like what happend to you in the Chugach for fear of a similar result. Same with a Hilleberg Nallo as I wasn't impressed with how the tunnel tent took the snow load which is why i went with the Hilleberg Jannu for my 4 season shelter.

Hows that for a politician answer??? :) Just a lot of words but not a clear answer....haha but you get what I am sayin.

YK,

When I go late (or early depending on how you look at it) season for goats in March the last two years I have gone with a Hilleberg. Ideally having both a Hilleberg and a SL-5 on the mountain would be the best. I use a pyramid tipi nearly every year on my October hunts, but I wouldn't want to leave my SL-5 setup while I am away while its snowing like what happend to you in the Chugach for fear of a similar result. Same with a Hilleberg Nallo as I wasn't impressed with how the tunnel tent took the snow load which is why i went with the Hilleberg Jannu for my 4 season shelter.

I've got a Trango 4 for the base camp tent, and I'm sure that will handle the weather just fine. Just looking at our spike camp options. I've hunted the north end of Kodiak a couple times now, but this will be the first time on the south end, and the first time late season, so I'm trying to get a handle on what I need to be effective. I should just call you and stop de-railing this thread.

Yk

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks deadwolf, I'm calling to order a Cimarron right now. It will definitely have a stove jack but I was debating taking the stove to Kodiak. Now I'm planning on taking it to dry out clothes with if nothing else!

Clarktar

WKR
From the last couple days. Don't have a wind meter but as you can see I setup the tent fly exposed (no wind break) on the coast. Anyone who lives on the NW coast knows it is generally windy, and with 90 degree weather inland, I am guessing we had sustained 20-25 knot winds with gusts in the 35-40