Seek outside compression questions

rj2

WKR
I'm looking at the goshawk and fortress 6300, or a custom build. Would probably prefer no zipper, but seems like the goshawk has better compression/lashing options. I like the goshawk being able to use pack with no merlin/talon as well, especially if I could get mesh pocket sewn on pack, and top lid or something. Lots of combinations/options.

My main use would be archery elk spike camps, so need to be able to lash my bow. Then would use frame and empty bag or frame and merlin / talon for day pack.

Anyone have insight on different ways to compress and lash these packs? Or custom options that could work for me?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fortress is dedicated to the Talon system, so it doesn't have the face seam web loops the Goshawk does. If you go custom you can build whatever you want with the face seam web loops, just drop a note.

The compression is easy to rig a lot of different ways. I like a gatekeeper strap half hitched around the bow grip and then another or two higher or lower on the face of the pack to stabilize. You can definitely use a Talon to compress a bow, but I run a bow mounted quiver on my compound and you can compress the quiver. My recurve is light enough and long enough it's easier to carry.

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
I meant to say 4800 not 6300 but that doesn't change much.

I will be using a compound with quiver as well, so being able to run with no talon or with bow lashed outside of talon would be necessary.

So could I basically get a goshawk with no zipper, and mesh pocket sewn on? And still have option to use talon + pack or talon by itself on the frame?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes. That's basically a Breakaway Divide. It'd be a useful pack. Pick your side pockets, and whether you want asymmetrical or not.

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
Thanks for all your help. I haven't looked much at non breakaway but your right, a breakaway divide is pretty much what I had in mind. I was thinking 1 water bottle pocket and 1 taller pocket that could possibly hold a small spotter or tripod like the peregrine Pocket. I will probably get a water bottle holder for hip belt or shoulder strap so not set on water bottle pocket if something else is much more practical.

Not sure what you mean by asymmetrical, are you talking about same or different pockets? Or something different?

The other thing, on the divide, the compression straps can be routed over the mesh pocket to lash a bow correct? And can it be used with talon?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Asymmetrical side pockets = different style pockets on left and right. This is one of the more popular options we're seeing on the customs.

Compression, yes, you can lash a bow on the face, run straps across the face, run a talon.

I like the big mesh face pockets. Makes it easy to find stuff, and they drain really well.

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
On the pack builder, there is an option for internal load shelf. Is that a load shelf in the pack bag, or is that what will go between bag and frame to quarter game out in breakaway mode?

So to build a pack on your website like I'm describing I pick 4800, breakaway, mesh stuff pocket, no access zipper, materials/side pockets, and is there anything special I need to note on there so I end up with divide/goshawk style lashing? Or would I be better off calling or emailing to get all the options configured correct?

Tyguy

WKR
I would give SO a call and talk it over with them. They have always been super helpful and friendly to me. Good luck with your custom bag!

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Internal load shelf is simply internal web anchors that let you run a load shelf inside the packbag. More useful on integrated packs and on big pack bags.

The customs all come with the same keyed compression anchor points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
I have a Fortress 6,300. I don't understand why a user would have to use the Talon if they had access to longer straps. Both the Goshawk and my Fortress have three lash points on either side.

Why couldn't I remove the Talon on the Fortress and run long straps side-to-side with gatekeepers on either end attached to the existing lash points?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You don’t need to use a talon . You can make longer straps by linking them ( there is a loop on the strap finish ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk