Seek Outside Custom Builder - Side Pocket Options

mlgc20

WKR
My custom 4800 has tall pockets on both sides. I put a bladder on one side and fishing pole/trekking poles/tripod in the other. I hardly ever use the low water bottle pockets on any of my packs. I don't like having my water bladder inside the pack. So, having an easy place for it like a side pocket makes all the difference to me.

Last edited:

fishunter

FNG
The closest we have is to do a 5400 with the tall side pocket and get a mesh talon or similar.

From a design aspect, I prefer not having all 3 faces with large pockets so compression is simpler and neater. Thus we do not offer any designs that have significant pocketing on all sides. However, a lot of people do order setups like a Lanner with one Brooks style pocket, and the feedback from the users has been they really like it. You can run compression on all 3 faces as well, or none if you like. For a Lanner type bag with a Brooks style pocket on one side, trying to compress for day mode, I would use the top and bottom strap on the rear face that should still give good access to most of the rear face, plus both sides .. and I would not run any side compression likely. For me, I just take off compression straps when not needed and stash them .
Hi Kevin,
Are you Kevin.T from SO? If so, you're just the man I need to discuss this custom build. I've watched every SO backpack video on youtube. After much thought I've decided a 4800 is more than sufficient for my needs. What is the width of the main compartment (from side pocket to side pocket) on 4800 vs 5400 ? I'm just trying to figure out if I order a Lanner face pocket on a 4800 bag, would this pocket be narrower than on a 5400?

I agree with you that compression would be neater if I only go with just one brooks pocket and a Lanner pocket, but ease of storage and access is important for a fisherman like myself. This will not be used for hunting. I need more pockets with zippers to secure my gear as I do a lot of rock-hopping over unstable rocks and slippery surfaces. Although the Lanner pocket would be good for strapping fishing rods down, I use either 8ft one piece rods or 10ft two piece rods. Having the extra length protruding the top of my backpack would mean hitting tree branches through the Australian bush. I understand from a design perspective side to side compression wouldn't be the most ideal with all 3 major pockets, but it's still possible right? I don't think I'll use these side compression straps much anyway. Do they come with the custom build or do I have to order them separately? Also if I order two Brooks style pockets, do they come standard with the brown pouches in them?

I've many more specific questions regarding the build of this custom bag which I'm just starting to put together via email. My name is Sylvester. I'll attention the email to you if you don't mind. Thanks for your time Kevin. I'm a serious buyer so you won't be wasting your time. After extensive research, I've decided SO comes out on top over Kuiu and Kifaru. Now it's just a matter of finalising details before I order.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi Kevin,
Are you Kevin.T from SO? I
Yes
f so, you're just the man I need to discuss this custom build. I've watched every SO backpack video on youtube. After much thought I've decided a 4800 is more than sufficient for my needs. What is the width of the main compartment (from side pocket to side pocket) on 4800 vs 5400 ? I'm just trying to figure out if I order a Lanner face pocket on a 4800 bag, would this pocket be narrower than on a 5400?

No , they are the same bag, the 5400 is taller and has the build in shroud pocket, which to me is surprisingly useful .
I agree with you that compression would be neater if I only go with just one brooks pocket and a Lanner pocket, but ease of storage and access is important for a fisherman like myself. This will not be used for hunting. I need more pockets with zippers to secure my gear as I do a lot of rock-hopping over unstable rocks and slippery surfaces. Although the Lanner pocket would be good for strapping fishing rods down, I use either 8ft one piece rods or 10ft two piece rods. Having the extra length protruding the top of my backpack would mean hitting tree branches through the Australian bush. I understand from a design perspective side to side compression wouldn't be the most ideal with all 3 major pockets, but it's still possible right? I don't think I'll use these side compression straps much anyway. Do they come with the custom build or do I have to order them separately? Also if I order two Brooks style pockets, do they come standard with the brown pouches in them?
Yes you can use it without side compression. There are people that have Brooks and Lanner pockets combined, several in fact. It will do the job hunting as well. With Gatekeepers you can remove them, add them , link them ... sort of whatever you want. I do not think the 2 interior pouches come with the pocket in the custom shop.

I've many more specific questions regarding the build of this custom bag which I'm just starting to put together via email. My name is Sylvester. I'll attention the email to you if you don't mind. Thanks for your time Kevin. I'm a serious buyer so you won't be wasting your time. After extensive research, I've decided SO comes out on top over Kuiu and Kifaru. Now it's just a matter of finalising details before I order.
It's fine. I would actually recommend you use our CS and they contact me if they dont know. They are in the facility so they can usually answer very specific things faster. Also, they are very good IMO. One of them is my son who haas been using the packs since they were designed as well .. and all are avid outdoors people
Kevin

fishunter

FNG
Yes

No , they are the same bag, the 5400 is taller and has the build in shroud pocket, which to me is surprisingly useful .

Yes you can use it without side compression. There are people that have Brooks and Lanner pockets combined, several in fact. It will do the job hunting as well. With Gatekeepers you can remove them, add them , link them ... sort of whatever you want. I do not think the 2 interior pouches come with the pocket in the custom shop.

It's fine. I would actually recommend you use our CS and they contact me if they dont know. They are in the facility so they can usually answer very specific things faster. Also, they are very good IMO. One of them is my son who haas been using the packs since they were designed as well .. and all are avid outdoors people
Kevin
So if I order a 4800 custom bag, will it come with an inbuilt shroud pocket?

Do you have any pictures of customers who have custom built a Lanner and Brooks pockets? Would be great to have a clear visualisation of the actual bag I'm ordering.

I'll contact your customer service team regarding specific questions and mention I spoke to you on this forum. Cheers Kevin!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So if I order a 4800 custom bag, will it come with an inbuilt shroud pocket?

Do you have any pictures of customers who have custom built a Lanner and Brooks pockets? Would be great to have a clear visualisation of the actual bag I'm ordering.

I'll contact your customer service team regarding specific questions and mention I spoke to you on this forum. Cheers Kevin!
No the 4800 will not have the shroud pocket. It should be an option on the 5400. I do not have any photos, but I know I saw in the shop a couple weeks ago when I was going through the custom bags with our team. I know Brian Call has one as well . I know it has been a fairly popular configuration this summer. A lot of asymmetrical pocket combinations come from the custom shop.

JeremiahH

WKR
I just received my custom breakaway system and so far I love it. Though not saying much since I haven't had it out yet. I've had other seek packs so I'm not worried about it's reliability.
I was pretty excited to find long zipper pull outs inside the side pockets.

I went with 4800 main bag and with the two big zippered side pockets and mesh pocket for shells or wet stuff , I can't imagine I'd need more.

Here is a few pics.

Single side pocket day mode.
Double side pocket day mode.
And then a full Tahr bag stuffed into the main bag, rolled up pretty tight and would go taller if needed or add a lid, which I'm not sure I'll need to run.

For whitetail set up climbing sticks and saddle platform can go in between wing pockets easily and cinch down

I use a belt water bottle and a bladder sometimes. Each side pocket has hanging loops and also holes on the top harness side for a bladder hose to come through.
e980ffc87bcaa9ee4cc0780c9504020f.jpg
d6ebb117fff3294ee7c26f1be9dcf0f7.jpg
facc90789324bd998af72e7ad27e4fdc.jpg
81b99ccfbb6f18a8b89dd6636a9b8e04.jpg
d4a7c879b16546ca9e8798fc8529e015.jpg
9616dd634803a29a17bb1865796ee655.jpg
aecf64afffe3979953e395907c8c164f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk