Seek Outside Flight Two Pack - testing and review **Updated 12/15/21**

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
With spring bear season winding down and summer scouting and backpacking season coming fast, it's time to start thinking about traveling fast and efficiently in the mountains. Seek Outside just released a pack perfect for my more minimalist summer needs. I'll be using the new pack for scouting mule deer deep in the backcountry, collecting water samples in the wilderness, long and fast day trips, and minimalist backpacking.

**Update 12/15/21** Full Review Available Here.

P1000548.JPG

The Flight Two pack in my possession is all Spectra grid fabric and with a fixed length harness and frame length. It is designed to carry loads less than 50 pounds.
P1000549.JPG

There seems to be plenty of room for water bottles.
P1000551.JPG
The fabric is coated and should offer up decent water resistance.
P1000552.JPG
The belt is removable, has sewn in side pockets and has a single floating buckle.
P1000550.JPG

There seems to be a shortage of 3/4" gatekeepers as the pack was shipped with 1" straps with a note stating the smaller and lighter version will be shipped as soon as they are available. The 1" versions look tougher than the older gate keepers I've used.
P1000553.JPG

The total weight of the pack with straps is 2.71 pounds according to my very unscientific fish scale. It is unbelievable how light it feels in hand.

P1000554.JPG

Ask questions and provide comments and I will update this thread throughout the summer.

-Josh

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Two questions, what is the “TWO“designation? Is this an upgrade to another pack they made previously? Also, would you hunt with it or is it too noisy?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One , two , three , four is just how we are naming them . It could be a panel loader that is say - flight 4.

Simple simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
Got 10 miles of trail, and maybe a couple miles of road walking, and I'll be at the hostel were my friend very kindly dropped off my just delivered Flight 2 pack. Gonna do a pack swap, and finish the trip with the Flight 2. Can't wait to try it out. Mixing up the Charged Cocoa Ignite now.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got 10 miles of trail, and maybe a couple miles of road walking, and I'll be at the hostel were my friend very kindly dropped off my just delivered Flight 2 pack. Gonna do a pack swap, and finish the trip with the Flight 2. Can't wait to try it out. Mixing up the Charged Cocoa Ignite now.

where you hiking?

Keep us posted

Looking forward to following this. I purchased a flight one earlier this year before the Two was released and have been really enjoying it for scouting trips so far. If anyone is interested you can find it here:

Seek Outside Flight One Review

Curious how the side water bottle access is while hiking? That’s one con to the flight one that it sounded like they fixed with the flight two.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two questions, what is the “TWO“designation? Is this an upgrade to another pack they made previously? Also, would you hunt with it or is it too noisy?

I probably won’t hunt with it just because I like to carry a large load out whenever possible. It’s not any more noisy than a Cordura or X-pac bag. This will be a scouting and backpacking pack.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you like the waist buckle configuration?

I’ve hardly put it to use, but the concept seems like a great idea. It seems like it will equalize any pressure on the buckle but provide for a custom fit of the belt.

Jauwater

WKR
where you hiking?

Keep us posted
Grayson Highlands to the Smokies on the Appalachian Trail.

Just picked up the Flight 2 yesterday in Roan Mountain, TN. So far the pack feels great. I'll give more thoughts on it when I finish up

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Just picked up the Flight 2 yesterday in Roan Mountain, TN. So far the pack feels great. I'll give more thoughts on it when I finish up

Awesome! Have a great hike. Let us know

kbraune

FNG

Hi Jauwater,
I’m currently researching this pack and was wondering if you had an update on your experience with it after your hike?

Jauwater

WKR
Hi Jauwater,
I’m currently researching this pack and was wondering if you had an update on your experience with it after your hike?
First I'll start off by saying that this trip was more or less one last experiment with ultralight packs for me. Turns out I'm just not an ultralight guy. I much prefer packs with robust frames.

I cant really say anything bad about the pack. I did alot of running with the pack on, soaking wet, and the pack just didn't move. It stayed put right in my lumbar area. I dunno if I ever had to make an adjustment to it. The water bottle pockets worked as advertised. I could easy remove a water bottle with my right hand, but not my left, but im right handed. The frame is actually pretty stiff, which is nice. The waist belt is sweet. Adjusting the belt every few days was really the only adjustment I made to the pack. Being able to adjust the pack belt on those long trips was a nice feature. I was basically in the rain the whole time I was out, and everything in the pack stayed dry.

But still, for me, 25lbs in my Ute feels alot better than 20lbs in a lightweight pack. So I don't mind the extra weight from a more robust pack.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
UPDATE:
I ended up using the flight for scouting day trips and some multi-day ones as well the past few months. My summer kit is really trim and light and I didn't have any problem with space or the limited weight carrying ability. With a trim sleep system and strategic food prep, I could easily do a 5 day hiking trip with this pack. Of course adding hunting gear would quickly overload the pack as that's not its intended purpose.

Here is a snap of the pack loaded with overnight gear, cold weather clothing, and small soft-sided cooler (with water sample bottles and ice pack) stuffed on top. Total weight of about 22 lbs.

P1000571.JPG

kbraune

FNG
UPDATE:
I ended up using the flight for scouting day trips and some multi-day ones as well the past few months. My summer kit is really trim and light and I didn't have any problem with space or the limited weight carrying ability. With a trim sleep system and strategic food prep, I could easily do a 5 day hiking trip with this pack. Of course adding hunting gear would quickly overload the pack as that's not its intended purpose.

Here is a snap of the pack loaded with overnight gear, cold weather clothing, and small soft-sided cooler (with water sample bottles and ice pack) stuffed on top. Total weight of about 22 lbs.

View attachment 322734
Thanks for this Josh. I’m looking at either the flight or Gila as a summer scouting/backpacking pack. I love the idea of the flight just hesitant due to some of the reviews mentioning trouble for longer torso-ed individuals.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for this Josh. I’m looking at either the flight or Gila as a summer scouting/backpacking pack. I love the idea of the flight just hesitant due to some of the reviews mentioning trouble for longer torso-ed individuals.
FYI, my torso is on the shorter side at 17.5" so I have not had any issues with fit. The frame I am using is the 22" but a 24" is available for a longer torso. If you are undecided give Seek Outside a call and see what they think.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got over a 1000 miles on my Flight (1), it's a really solid and comfortable pack. I've owned at least two dozen backpacking packs (not counting hunting packs) and this pack carries better than any previous pack, yet weighs in the same ballpark as most of them.

The Xpac is very tough AND waterproof. Hip belt and shoulder straps well padded and very comfy. The side pocket are ginormous and the belt pockets are easily the nicest pockets I've had on any pack.

It's not a meat hauler, but for 10 months out of the year, it's the pack I use (frequently).

mlkFyXq.jpg

kbraune

FNG
I've got over a 1000 miles on my Flight (1), it's a really solid and comfortable pack. I've owned at least two dozen backpacking packs (not counting hunting packs) and this pack carries better than any previous pack, yet weighs in the same ballpark as most of them.

The Xpac is very tough AND waterproof. Hip belt and shoulder straps well padded and very comfy. The side pocket are ginormous and the belt pockets are easily the nicest pockets I've had on any pack.

It's not a meat hauler, but for 10 months out of the year, it's the pack I use (frequently).

mlkFyXq.jpg
Thanks for this. I am unable to PM but would like to ask you some questions without hijacking the thread.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
ask away, if it's about this pack it's not hijacking :)

just got back from a four day trip into the Cabinet Wilderness, pack performed great