Seek outside hot tent stoves

duckhunterrr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to be in Colorado late October for an elk hunt. I have a seek outside redcliff arriving any day now. My question is, how hot are you guys seeing the inside of your tent getting. I’m expecting any form of weather that time but hoping to not need a new bag. I have a 15degreen Nemo bag. I sleep super hot but feel I don’t need a warmer bag bc the stove will be added warmth. Any advice would be great.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Me and buddies camped in Redcliff with SO Large stove in about 25°. I took us a while to get the hang of the right damper settings, but we were more than toasty. As previous post stated, you have to keep feeding it all night, probably every 2 hours with bigger chunks of wood. We packed it at lights-out to help with comfort and drying out gear, then just let it burn itself out as the night went. Woke up and started a new fire before heading back out while packing, eating breakfast, etc. That was more of a luxury than necessity though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
My experience with a cimarron and L box stove is that you need a bag for whatever the conditions call for. I wouldn't rely on the stove other than being a luxury as stated above. Its nice to go to bed warm but youll wake up cold... having to set an alarm every hour to feed a fire is the last thing I want to do when hunting hard. Getting back after dark and leaving before sunrise doesnt leave a ton of time for sleep already.

To further answer your question, you can it uncomfortably hot thats for sure. Depending on the type of wood you have it may or may not last long. Aspen burns like newspaper so ymmv.

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
Have the 4 man and when you get a fire cranking it gets hot in there. No liner. If your strategic with wood size, choice and loading you can get 3 hours out of it, but then need to work to get it burning again. We used to keep it going all night and I wouldn’t even zip my sleeping bag, temps in the 20s. Now we typically get it going when we get back to dry stuff out, take boots off, etc. and if someone feeds it at night fine, if not zip up the bag. I’ve never seen the need for anything under a 15 degree bag, unless your a cold sleeper or doing some dedicated winter camping regardless of tent setup. With the hot tent you have the ability to have a fire if your cold so I wouldn’t worry about the bag.

Clarence

WKR
You will be able to get it hotter than you want in there. Burn times like others have said, are varied with wood type, and size. If you're a hot sleeper, you should be fine. Go to bed with a nice woodpile. Worst case scenario, you wake up cold and throw some more wood on the fire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tyguy

WKR
You'll be fine with the Nemo 15. Chances are you will wake up and throw that thing off of you in a sweat.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If the forecast is for teens, I'll be in a 5 degree Western Mountaineering bag. Including when I was sleeping two feet away from a Big Mama stove.

You don't want to wake up shivering and nurse the stove back to going, warm up enough to finally fall back asleep, then repeat.

Go to bed warm, sleep warm, start the stove in the morning before getting out of your bag. Set your boots and socks close to the stove to warm them up. Warm boots in the morning is outstanding.

Poser

WKR
You can literally turn a hot tent into a sauna but that’s steadily feeding wood. Get your tent warm and dry, go to bed being comfortable, but don’t expect a stove to burn through the night. Set your alarm a little early, start another fire and have a 2nd alarm for 20-30 minutes later and the tent will be warm again. Your bag should be sufficiently warm unto itself else you’re sleep will be constantly interrupted having to keep the stove going.

gexpro

WKR
15 degree bag would work fine if you have some puffy layers just incase in the event you get cold enough. the stove helps a lot, but like the others said; it'll only burn for so long. good luck this season, be safe out there!

TonyG86

FNG
Me and buddies camped in Redcliff with SO Large stove in about 25°. I took us a while to get the hang of the right damper settings, but we were more than toasty. As previous post stated, you have to keep feeding it all night, probably every 2 hours with bigger chunks of wood. We packed it at lights-out to help with comfort and drying out gear, then just let it burn itself out as the night went. Woke up and started a new fire before heading back out while packing, eating breakfast, etc. That was more of a luxury than necessity though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Good info, thank you!

Wassid82

WKR
I have a SO 8 man...... the stoves work insanely well. I think you could get away with almost any sleeping bag