Seek Outside: Integrated Vs. Breakaway Frame

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanting to hear some of the pros and cons from people who have one or the other, or both frames.

I’m leaning towards the integrated frame, but could also consider building a custom on a breakaway and add an internal load shelf, kind of best of both worlds besides adding weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have used a load shelf on and off. They're great when you feel like you have time or just want to save your gear from blood. However, it is just as easy to get a bigger bag and have a contractor bag or a dry bag for meat or gear.

My previous self was worried about getting the bag dirty because the bags were not easily cleaned. With the new material though, I would not be nearly as concerned with getting the bag dirty. The only other con to integrated I could think of is hauling elk quarters that you haven't cut hooves off of. On the breakaway, you can easily stuff those in the load shelf and have no issues, but with the integrated, I am imagining that getting a seal to where your gear wouldn't get wet in a rain storm or get a bunch of debris in there is difficult.

I guess there would be another con that I thought of during the order process. How hot can your meat get in that black material especially if you're putting it in a trashbag or dry bag to keep things clean. I could imagine it causing an issue on an antelope hunt.

That being said, I ordered an integrated frame. It is just simpler and easier to use in my opinion. And the best part is, if I don't like it and find the load shelf worth it, I can order a custom bag only and get exactly what I want and just add the revolution panel. This is coming from someone who previously would not buy an integrated pack because I felt load shelves were easier. After my deer hunt this year, where we hauled out two bucks differently, one in the load shelf and one in the main bag, I thought that it was 1000x easier to just stuff meat in the main bag. That is in a pack without an internal load shelf as well. I think that the fact you can have the same frame and do internal or breakaway is a game changer that made me gravitate towards Seek. I can just change in the future if I think breakaway is better.

Just wanting to hear some of the pros and cons from people who have one or the other, or both frames.

I’m leaning towards the integrated frame, but could also consider building a custom on a breakaway and add an internal load shelf, kind of best of both worlds besides adding weight.

i think with the materials they use (being easy to clean up) and lack of weight penalty getting a bigger bag than needed, an integrate pack from them makes a lot of sense, and if i go with them again in the future, that's what i'll get for sure. i don't see a need for a break away on a SO pack, and i'm a meat shelf fan

wildcat33

WKR
I like the breakaway more for overflow camp gear. Its really good for bulky things like a wood stove. Also, if you get real nasty you can pack your camp gear in the bag and quarter on the shelf to get out in less trips. Otherwise you have to choose between the two (or strap to front).

sndmn11

WKR
I have breakaways because we put the kid carrier on the frame in the summer OR put a 40lb salt bag in between pack and frame so we can use the pack for toys, clothes, whatever, and not have to disturb or resituate the training weight. I also put my tent in between frame and pack.
I do meat in the pack within the internal load shelf and multiple quarters are no issue in the saker.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and use the integrated more. I put the meat outside of the bag with load panel and talon. If I have anything in the pack I just have it above where the meat is.

Do you have a photo of what this looks like? I’m liking the idea of stuffing camp or my day gear above or under the load panel. I’m just confused on how you get the load panel outside the bag, as I thought the load panel was inside the bag.

sndmn11

WKR
Do you have a photo of what this looks like? I’m liking the idea of stuffing camp or my day gear above or under the load panel. I’m just confused on how you get the load panel outside the bag, as I thought the load panel was inside the bag.

This may be different for integrated, but this is how it would work for breakaway.

The load shelf is a removable piece, I actually have three on my pack: one in between frame and pack, one within pack, and one that connects just between pack and frame and goes under pack then up. If a person wanted to pack outside the bag, you'd use the latter, and then the talon, possibly the cross straps.

You can see the around the bottom and up load shelf on my wife's easy. The talon on mine and kind of hidden is my external load shelf.
PXL_20220217_212244417.jpg

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The internal load shelf is pretty easy and fast, and with our fabrics it cleans up easily.

You can also do an internal shelf on the breakaway packs as well if you desire.

You can also treat, a pack like the Unaweep with a talon pretty much just like you would treat a breakaway and talon as a hauler. Cinch it down at the bottom to keep it higher.

And you can also do the breakaway feature / load shelf as a hauler as well.

It all depends on what you want

Fedster

FNG
I have breakaway SO and you will have to take it from my cold, dead hands. I would never consider an non breakway frame ever again. I have done extensive fieldwork as a freshwater biologist and being able to plonk tons of wet and slimy gear between frame and bag was a major plus. I also dislike meat in the bag, but I understand that people have different opinions on that and you obviously have to chose for yourself.

The internal load shelf is pretty easy and fast, and with our fabrics it cleans up easily.

You can also do an internal shelf on the breakaway packs as well if you desire.

You can also treat, a pack like the Unaweep with a talon pretty much just like you would treat a breakaway and talon as a hauler. Cinch it down at the bottom to keep it higher.

And you can also do the breakaway feature / load shelf as a hauler as well.

It all depends on what you want
I am curious to know what you think about heat inside of the ultra material. Would it be hot enough to cause an issue?

Obviously, this is partially a meat care question that people should be prepared for either way, but living in NM we get a lot of hot antelope and elk hunts that it could potentially become an issue.

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I have a breakaway, and swap it out for an integrated (bag only) for off season hiking to save weight. It's a pretty simple swap, though changing the harness was less intuitive than I thought.

It's more personal preference than anything. Beyond carrying meat outside the bag, it's nice to use the frame alone for hauling water. You can also detach the whole bag off the frame at camp and just take a talon or cinch a dry bag with what you need. I like the versatility.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am curious to know what you think about heat inside of the ultra material. Would it be hot enough to cause an issue?

Obviously, this is partially a meat care question that people should be prepared for either way, but living in NM we get a lot of hot antelope and elk hunts that it could potentially become an issue.
That is more of a meat care q. Overall , we feel very strongly that people should do everything they can to get the best quality meat. However, that is so much more a personal in the field judgement call. Sometimes, its best to hang meat for some cooling, sometimes it is best to get it out fast and somewhere it can cool.

There is likely some benefit , carrying it in a load shelf / breakaway manner , but it is likely pretty minimal and mostly only a benefit to what is exposed. Both methods the meat is close to the back, both platforms the back is "Black in color" , both platforms are likely to have a bag on the exterior side.

Me personally, it is so situation dependent. The type of carry is a small small part of it and in many cases possibly negligible. There are sometimes , it is probably a benefit to be in the bag (Think heavy oak brush or similar) . I could find corner cases where one is better probably , but not all of them would favor one style.

Phaseolus

WKR
I use the breakaway platform for so many things it would be hard to go backwards. During archery elk I use just a merlin bag to keep my gear together Since it is small and narrow which equals less potential for noise. I’ve hauled in treestands between the pack and bag with all my gear for overnight in the bags.

IMO it would be like buying a car without cruise control to not have the breakaway option.

I went from breakaway to integrated with no regrets. The breakaway system works well, but it makes an already strappy backpack even strappier. I love the minimalism and simplicity of the integrated platform. With the biggest size Unaweep bag, it will do anything I ever could need for backpacking or hunting. The breakaway system might make more sense especially you want to swap bags a lot, though.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I have breakaways because we put the kid carrier on the frame in the summer OR put a 40lb salt bag in between pack and frame so we can use the pack for toys, clothes, whatever, and not have to disturb or resituate the training weight. I also put my tent in between frame and pack.
I do meat in the pack within the internal load shelf and multiple quarters are no issue in the saker.

Thanks for everyone’s replies. I am leaning on the breakaway for this reason. I’ll be doubling this packs usage for backpacking with my wife and daughter this summer, meaning I’ll be carrying everyone’s stuff. I think having the versatility of a breakaway, but also use a load shelf inside the pack makes the breakaway a bit more attractive. As was mentioned, I’m not a big fan of “strappy” packs, so the integrated seemed more appealing for that reason and the lighter weight and simplicity of the whole thing. I also like the Goshawk (breakaway) over the Unaweep (integrated) better due to the asymmetrical pockets. If I wanted the integrated pack I’d have to build a custom pack to get the asymmetrical pockets in a 6300 ci pack.

NrthFrk16

Lil-Rokslider
I never thought I would consider an integrated pack and am thinking seriously about the new Goshawk. After reading through this thread and others, am now thinking about the Unaweep.

Couple questions for the group:
1) how many load shelf’s do you carry? 2-3? One for between Talon and main bag? And a couple for the inside?

2) any (dis)advantages with a side zipper and load shelf?

3) technically, I could down the road purchase a revolution frame panel and turn into breakaway?

sndmn11

WKR
I never thought I would consider an integrated pack and am thinking seriously about the new Goshawk. After reading through this thread and others, am now thinking about the Unaweep.

Couple questions for the group:
1) how many load shelf’s do you carry? 2-3? One for between Talon and main bag? And a couple for the inside?

2) any (dis)advantages with a side zipper and load shelf?

3) technically, I could down the road purchase a revolution frame panel and turn into breakaway?
1) 1 inside, 1 outside for me with talon, I believe some just use the talon outside.

2) no

3) I'm about 99% certain yes.

Franger

FNG
I solved the riddle today and punched thumb button on an Unaweep 4800. I think it solves about 98.3% of the problems I had with my Panzërkampfwagen of a backpack I used prior, the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. That thing weighs damn near 6lbs, the side zip never got used, and even though it has Dana Designs street cred, was never my cup of tea from a comfort perspective.

I used the breakaway feature once helping with a pack out. For like 2.5 miles. And when we got back to the truck, guess what, I unloaded my bivy stuff and extraneous hunting gear and walked back to the kill with essentially an empty pack. Then I just lashed the meat bag onto the back of the pack, stuffed my snacks, rain jacket, and first aid (all you really need for a medium length pack out) on top and off I went.