Seek outside internal load shelf?

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Just about ready to pick up a brooks pack, new or used. What’s everyone’s experience with the internal load shelf? Mainly for bone quarters. Any other feedback on the pack? It’s either that or a unaweep and daypack Merlin and kid. Probably a 4800.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It works well. Downside is meat in the main bag, but the shelf keeps it elevated and prevents balling.

If your main bag isn't full you can easily rig an external elevated load shelf with or without a Base Talon.

These two are both real fast to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
It works well. Downside is meat in the main bag, but the shelf keeps it elevated and prevents balling.

If your main bag isn't full you can easily rig an external elevated load shelf with or without a Base Talon.

These two are both real fast to use.

How exactly would that work with the brooks pack? I’m pretty sure I know what you mean, is there any pics?

I've got the Brooks and used it to haul 3 elk. The shelf has worked great for me, but I de-bone the meat. The one issue you might have with a full quarter is protrusion and/or pressure into your back. I forget the name of the frame style that the Brooks uses but my understanding is that it doesn't protect your back from protrusions as well as their detachable frame system. I'd call Nathan at SO and quiz him on it.

And fyi, between the Brooks and the 4800, I'd go Brooks all day. Only a small weight pnealty but massive storage capability and it cinches up super easy into a day pack mode.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How exactly would that work with the brooks pack? I’m pretty sure I know what you mean, is there any pics?

Load shelf has two long straps...hook these into the loops the middle side compression straps are anchored to. Loops are big enough to accept multiple straps.

Load meat, wrap shelf around bottom, secure top either with two more straps or with Base Talon. Compress horizontally and done. Super easy, but takes a lot of words to explain.

Advantage is height adjustability, doesn't ball, meat outside bag, and really fast to load and unload. With a full pack I'd likely do something else, either Breakaway, or put meat inside bag and shuffle gear outside if needed.

I need to shoot a video on this.

022a4a5832c96eb7a5cbf18104a38cb9.jpg
d001c90a0083cf82b99695d0909b6009.jpg
3f9d1a240004e6e031ef2b9bbbda31c3.jpg

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I have used it, and it works well. I use the Revolution frame and actually ordered an extra load shelf so I have one in between the frame, one in the bag, and then the one that wraps the bottom of the bag. I like the internal load shelf because it separates the bottom and top halves of my bag; I can keep light weight things accessible at the bottom and remove them without having to re-situate the heavier stuff above the shelf while hunting. I have the shelf in between the bag and frame for a salt bag for training, and then I retain all functionality of the actual bag for whatever I am doing.

Rokwiia

WKR
It’s either that or a unaweep and daypack Merlin and kid. Probably a 4800.

A few thoughts. I don't hunt but am a backpacker. I chose the Revolution platform because it preserves my options. If I need a shelf to haul wood for a fire, I have it. I'd recommend, without hesitation, the Revolution platform over the Integrated.

The other issue is the volume. I can't fathom a reason not to opt for the 6,300 over the 4,800. In both platforms, the 6,300 can be had for an additional 3oz vs the 4,800. That is negligible additional weight for an additional 1/3 volume.

OP
F

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the info, and pics. Pretty much what I imagined. I will definitely be ordering a brooks pack. Just need to get a pay check or two first. Moving and changing jobs uses up a lot of money. Who knew.

Last edited: