Seek Outside Kenai 5400 Pack Review ***updated 12/25/22***

@Josh Boyd great review.

my first Seek pack just arrived. Looking forward to setting it up and getting some miles on it.

where did you source that quad buckle? I am interested in one for my pack.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Josh Boyd great review.

my first Seek pack just arrived. Looking forward to setting it up and getting some miles on it.

where did you source that quad buckle? I am interested in one for my pack.

Give Seek Outside a call. It’s a buckle they’ve used in the past and should know where to get one if they don’t have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good review. I’m a seek outside pack owner and appreciate their system. I thought two things stood out that reflect a continual problem in the SO pack line.

Regarding the waist belt, you said:

“With these weights, the small front waist buckle uncomfortably digs into my waist.”

I remember getting in touch with SO when they switched to their current forward pull system (as opposed to the old forward pull belt which used a full size buckle) and asking about this. They simply told me it would not be an issue. Of course your solution works but is strappy and complicated. At least with the two buckle belt that everyone hated the pressure was spread across two small buckles instead of focused onto one.

And of course the issue with the gatekeepers is never going away. Seems like every review from real users says “I see the point, and I know they work, but I still wish I just had buckles.” This shows up in your review and I feel the same way. All my friends who know about these packs and have a Stone Glacier or a Kifaru have mentioned Gatekeepers as a reason for rejecting SO.

Still, Seek Outside has such an excellent suspension system that they can give customers 75% of what they want and keep the quirks that seemingly only they like. If my pack got eaten by a bear tomorrow I’d still buy another SO pack in a heartbeat because no other pack does what their packs do.

sndmn11

WKR
And of course the issue with the gatekeepers is never going away. Seems like every review from real users says “I see the point, and I know they work, but I still wish I just had buckles.” This shows up in your review and I feel the same way. All my friends who know about these packs and have a Stone Glacier or a Kifaru have mentioned Gatekeepers as a reason for rejecting SO.

I'm the complete opposite. I love that I can use them on any strap and don't have to have a mate. I have two gallon zip locks with a few dozen side release buckles Fromm bin harnesses, other stuff, etc., that I put gatekeepers on and will never go back.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

After years of use I still can’t get used to them. Over the course of a season I open and close them what seems like a thousand times and it’s never as simple as a buckle system. I’d love it if SO offered an option for fixed straps/buckles. I think a few more people would be willing to give them a chance. They are a really great pack/frame and can perform with any other brand out there.

Last edited:
Also a big seek outside fan. Nothing carries like their packs. I have owned just about every iteration of their hipbelt and haven't had a strong preference for one over the other - all have worked well for me. The rigid frame and the comfortable shoulder harness are also key in making the pack so good at weights over 50 lbs.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a love hate with the gate keepers. They are super versatile, especially when packing out. But less user friendly for quick access. I converted the most used 2 straps over my zipper to buckles and left the rest. Best of both worlds.

ethan

WKR
Guess I’m an odd duck, I was pretty much indifferent to the gate keepers at first but now I actually prefer them. I like how they can be easily moved to different spots.
As far as the way the SO frames carry, I’ve used all the high end hunting packs with the exception of stone glacier, and a bunch of ordinary backpacking packs. The SO‘s definitely have a different feel to them, but I think they carry weight as well or better than any I’ve tried. Their light weight and compressibility put them at he top of the list in my opinion.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is our reasoning. One , a lot of people duo prefer the gatekeepers, though I get a buckle being faster ... I guess there is not a consensus. In our asking of customers ... it comes out about 50/50.

It is also relatively simple to convert gatekeepers to having buckles. Just buy some 3/4 buckles and a few extra GK straps ... . About $15 total to tailor it the way you like. That being said, we may look at some combo options , where some are built in and some are gated. No Guarantee , but we are doing some work there.

Here is our reasoning. One , a lot of people duo prefer the gatekeepers, though I get a buckle being faster ... I guess there is not a consensus. In our asking of customers ... it comes out about 50/50.

It is also relatively simple to convert gatekeepers to having buckles. Just buy some 3/4 buckles and a few extra GK straps ... . About $15 total to tailor it the way you like. That being said, we may look at some combo options , where some are built in and some are gated. No Guarantee , but we are doing some work there.

For me personally all the options are a little over wheming, the seek pack carries weigh very well for me. I'm also not as entune with my gear. So when I'm completely pooped, wet, cold and trying to load meat, the gate keepers are just hard to fiddle with. The double ended gate keeper straps offer an over whelming amount of tail ends.

It would help my gorilla brain at least some if they were single ended.
My finger get ridiculous cold very easily. So I guess its probably, mostly a me thing.

The Google suggests 3/4" auto locks are manufactured, but I can't seem to find a place that actually lists them for sale?

sndmn11

WKR
For me personally all the options are a little over wheming, the seek pack carries weigh very well for me. I'm also not as entune with my gear. So when I'm completely pooped, wet, cold and trying to load meat, the gate keepers are just hard to fiddle with. The double ended gate keeper straps offer an over whelming amount of tail ends.

It would help my gorilla brain at least some if they were single ended.
My finger get ridiculous cold very easily. So I guess its probably, mostly a me thing.

The Google suggests 3/4" auto locks are manufactured, but I can't seem to find a place that actually lists them for sale?
You could use 1" as well, they fit just fine on 3/4" loops.

I suppose I wish the review focused even more on the way these packs carry compared to other packs. The features of Seek Outside packs are interesting but they're definitely not why I own one. It's the articulating rigid frame and wraparound hipbelt that make this pack unique - and they're the reason I'd probably always own one these packs even if the SO guys snuck into my house and replaced every button on every one of my shirts with gatekeepers

hunt&fish

FNG
What are your thoughts on the kenai vs lanner (integrated vs breakaway) having used both?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are your thoughts on the kenai vs lanner (integrated vs breakaway) having used both?

For my style of hunting (backpack/bivy) I prefer the breakaway Lanner. It is more versatile without a major weight penalty.