Seek Outside Lanner Testing & Review

mt100gr.

WKR
So there are two gatekeeper attachment points there that can be used to anchor the bag to the frame and compress it for day loads or other configurations as needed. Hope this helps visualize it a little better.

47c150b9ed3c8ce6d758f60031078e88.jpg

cb722e3dc0730902c143ea4913383dec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect. Thank you.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Josh, I would appreciate seeing some pics of you wearing the pack, both fully loaded and in daypack mode. Also understanding your height and weight to put the size in perspective. It’s really difficult to get a sense on the dimensions of packs and how they will “fit” without seeing them on someone’s back. Maybe you would consider making your review a video-review? Thanks!

There will be more pics coming at some point of all configurations, but over the weekend all I ended up with was a load of kid. I'm a hair over 5'7" for reference.

IMG_6342_1.jpg

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been using the new pack a little at work packing equipment into the wilderness via snowshoe. So far I’m liking the frame and bag. The bag is pretty dang big and really accessible with the two-way full zipper.
1eb88c487cba79dc037e14c5ef34aa73.jpg

For reference the blue object in the pack is a full set of snow tubes about 35 inches long. They are bulky and a little cumbersome to pack around. The Lanner swallowed it, plus food, clothes, and avalanche equipment with room for more.
c5e84a166c831aed1c2a35f52c73f1b4.jpg

I’m also finding the smaller external zippered pockets perfect for organization and quick access.

EmperorMA

WKR
I’ve been using the new pack a little at work packing equipment into the wilderness via snowshoe. So far I’m liking the frame and bag. The bag is pretty dang big and really accessible with the two-way full zipper.
1eb88c487cba79dc037e14c5ef34aa73.jpg

For reference the blue object in the pack is a full set of snow tubes about 35 inches long. They are bulky and a little cumbersome to pack around. The Lanner swallowed it, plus food, clothes, and avalanche equipment with room for more.
c5e84a166c831aed1c2a35f52c73f1b4.jpg

I’m also finding the smaller external zippered pockets perfect for organization and quick access.

How much weight have you had in it? For distance (over five miles), for me it would never need to carry over 45 lbs. However, I’m quite interested to hear how the belt handles 90lb meat shelf loads for up to five miles.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much weight have you had in it? For distance (over five miles), for me it would never need to carry over 45 lbs. However, I’m quite interested to hear how the belt handles 90lb meat shelf loads for up to five miles.
I've had 60 lbs of weight plates in it while I strolled around the neighborhood and was really comfy once I got the plates loaded in the right spot. 45 will carry like a dream in this pack. I have not put 90 lbs in it but will eventually. stay tuned.

EmperorMA

WKR
Anything new to report? New pix, perhaps?

By the way, I’m 6’ and 225 lbs with a 19.75” torso.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything new to report? New pix, perhaps?

By the way, I’m 6’ and 225 lbs with a 19.75” torso.

I got out last week for a quick hike in the mountains. Here are a few shots of the pack compressed to day hiking size.
fa94db733f62ba0ce04599cc6155c573.jpg
5429c430a7b5343e0e51f7c76393a9a1.jpg

I pulled the 2” frame extensions off to see if there was a felt difference when hiking in the heavy timber. I thought there was a big enough difference that I’ll probably run the frame at 24” while hunting and add the extensions when I need to carry heavier loads.
d7dba65d372b4c954bf282bf38cec591.jpg
0ce5d8ef932cfc1964b0169ad04394ec.jpg

As far as having a 20” torso, don’t think you’ll have any fit issues as this frame is super adjustable for most torso lengths.

Raygun15E

FNG
Josh, thank you for doing this review. The Lanner looks like a great pack and something I may need/want when I finally get a chance for a backpack hunt someday. It would be an easy transition for me since I already have a Peregrine pack that I love. It would probably be a tough choice between the Lanner and the Saker!

brsnow

WKR
T
I've received a new-for-2019 Seek Outside Lanner 5400 mounted on a Revolution Frame for extended testing and review. The idea is to put the pack to use through my standard abuse of backcountry work and play and report back with my thoughts on it's functional uses in a formal review. I'll keep this thread updated with photo's and updates throughout the testing. Let me know if there are any questions or specific features you'd like to know about.

After pulling the pack from the box this weekend here are a few initial thoughts:
The bag is big: enough room for a 10+ day trip.
View attachment 90690

The zippered outside security pockets and side pockets are going to be great for organizing gear and packing any size spotting scope, tripod, or a rifle. Also the full length side zipper is robust and will make accessing the main bag really easy. The torso adjustment and waist belt adjustments were easy and seem comfortable. There are a ton of compression strap locations which will help secure large loads although it took me a while to come around to the Gatekeeper style of straps and attachment.
View attachment 90691
View attachment 90692
View attachment 90693
View attachment 90694

-Josh
hank you, appreciate the information.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been putting lots of miles the pack but at this point in the spring it’s been day trips shed and turkey hunting in the mountains and gear hauling for special days at work.

Right now I’m running it with the 2” stay extensions removed for a frame length of 24”. This configuration gives me more head room for scanning up steep slopes for sheds and allows for less snagging of overhead brush and limbs. But it has plenty of load control when things get in the 40-50 pound range. I’ll probably use the 2” extensions when the loads start getting heavier than that.
52ab69fb754a4fccfca759c1fa8989f8.jpg

f6a2777a36b7a6c78a5072bf45ac014a.jpg

I also swapped out the two single waist belt buckles for a single quad buckle. This feels more comfortable across my stomach when the pack is loaded with loads exceeding 40 lbs.
a4aea4cb809b2a45006f3d23ccd24eae.jpg

Ace2255

FNG
Loving the Review, the bag looks a little complicated compared to some other designs, any thoughts on this?

Bearsears

WKR
I just got my Lanner today to replace my fortress 3900 bag. As with everything Seek Outside makes, I'm stunned with the quality. This bag is going to be a great addition to my frame and current bags. I cant wait to get this thing out in the woods for testing.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loving the Review, the bag looks a little complicated compared to some other designs, any thoughts on this?
I need to spend some more time under this pack before passing judgement on this aspect. At times everything can seem more simple than other packs, but other times it can be the opposite. I'll report on this in the final review.

I've had mine for quite awhile now and so far I've taken it on one 3 day trip. I don't see how it's complicated at all. Now when you first see it and start to figure it all out it seems pretty strappy but once you dial it all in you realize it's no more complicated than most others out there. I went from a Kifaru duplex and reckoning to this one and for me the Kifaru was much more complicated. Not that there's anything wrong with Kifaru. Time will tell if I made the right decision going from Kifaru to the Lanner as Im still workin out the bugs, but so far I've had no regrets. I plan on taking it out next week for a week (if I don't get snowed out) to the Sierras. I'll know more then.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been wearing the Lanner while checking out some of my favorite spring bear spots but I have yet to load it with a heavy load of meat.

So far I’ve been pleased with the functionality of the bag including the two large side pockets. They stow a spotting scope and tripod with plenty of room to spare. I also like using the “exposed” stay to hang my bow sling on. Thanks to @dwilson204 for snapping a few images last weekend.

3325be8aebd52ea887047d0a2c3aca1b.jpg