Seek Outside Lanner Testing & Review

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I have been debating on a new pack for over a year. My new job, the company will pay for it through one of the benefit programs. I finally just ordered the lanner. Now the waiting game.
Waiting game is over, pack showed up yesterday. The quality is top notch. It’s a bit bigger then I thought but still compressed down enough to use as a large day pack. Still trying to figure out how I want to have the compression straps, I’m probably over complicating it.
There are some webbing loops and some rolled up straps around the shroud pocket, what are they for?
Hopefully I’ll get to put more then just a 36pack of beer in it this fall, although it was a great way to get that down to the river for the day.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If the rolled up straps are between pack bag and frame they are just attachments for different heights.

Compression is easy stick two to three each side and go . Don’t make it to complicated . Take a couple extra straps and play with it on a trip and see what you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Josh,
In watching some of the video reviews, tha pack has some noise to it. Was it of concern and did it get better as you used it more?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Josh,
In watching some of the video reviews, tha pack has some noise to it. Was it of concern and did it get better as you used it more?

It softens over time. It really does not make any more noise than most other fabrics while walking. It's only when you are accessing it and primarily when it is cold that it seems noisy. It's a trade off, you get to never need to worry about a rain cover and super easy blood clean up .. but don't sneak in near a heard of elk and start going through your pack when it's freezing.

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Great stuff Kevin, thanks for the response. I am looking forward to using this Lanner should be at the house next week.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh,

Snowey,
Kevin is spot on with his assessment of the fabric noise. I just spent 10 days bowhunting elk in some thick north slopes of Wyoming and it wasn't a hindrance. It seems the fabric is a little noisier than Cordura when new but the outer face softens with use and is on par or quieter in the long run. The blood clean up qualities is the best out there, as is the water resistance of the material.

Have fun with the new pack!
-Josh

I've received a new-for-2019 Seek Outside Lanner 5400 mounted on a Revolution Frame for extended testing and review. The idea is to put the pack to use through my standard abuse of backcountry work and play and report back with my thoughts on it's functional uses in a formal review. I'll keep this thread updated with photo's and updates throughout the testing. Let me know if there are any questions or specific features you'd like to know about.

After pulling the pack from the box this weekend here are a few initial thoughts:
The bag is big: enough room for a 10+ day trip.
View attachment 90690

The zippered outside security pockets and side pockets are going to be great for organizing gear and packing any size spotting scope, tripod, or a rifle. Also the full length side zipper is robust and will make accessing the main bag really easy. The torso adjustment and waist belt adjustments were easy and seem comfortable. There are a ton of compression strap locations which will help secure large loads although it took me a while to come around to the Gatekeeper style of straps and attachment.
View attachment 90691
View attachment 90692
View attachment 90693
View attachment 90694

-Josh
How high can you pack it before it limps over?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m not sure what you mean ? Do you mean since it’s a tall bag that maybe the collar folds over on itself at some point ? That doesn’t happen as the gear and compression provide structure above the frame height .

Was any testing done with 90+ lbs of weight in the pack? I've been looking at these, kifaru, and exo. Kifaru and exo are always praised for their comfortable weight hauling capabilities and I've been wondering how the SO packs do in comparison.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was any testing done with 90+ lbs of weight in the pack? I've been looking at these, kifaru, and exo. Kifaru and exo are always praised for their comfortable weight hauling capabilities and I've been wondering how the SO packs do in comparison.

I hauled several big loads with this pack including an elk hind quarter combined with a full bivy camp which easily exceeded 90 lbs. Once the harness was adjusted to my torso length it carried weight as well as any pack I’ve used.

jmagnumw

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been considering to get the seek outside Cimmaron any suggestions?

Bearsears

WKR
Not sure if you are still shopping but here is a photo of me packing out an entire quartered buck this year plus day gear with the Lanner. I estimate a bit over 100lbs. Pack was really comfortable the whole time with the extensions in that make it a 28 inch frame. Pack out was about 4 miles.
40098b5a2388f91f8000f27f5f475009.jpg
3923ae5cf503ba67747172a0f214e866.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CO-AJ

WKR
I am considering this pack but having SO customize it a bit by putting netted pockets on the outside of the side pockets for additional wet gear or water bottles. I am curious about the revolution frame and its benefits over the standard frame. I plan to use this pack primarily for backpacking but always carry a rifle so I will put a scabbard into one of the side pockets to carry a 45-70.

CO-AJ

WKR
I’ve been considering to get the seek outside Cimmaron any suggestions?

It is on my list as well. I was comparing it with the HMG Ultamid2 however the Cimarron is larger and I can run a stove in it. Looking at either the 1/2 nest or the LBO nest. Really like the SO products, just wish they had an outlet near Denver to go look at their gear before dropping $2000.00 on tentage and packs.

CO-AJ

WKR
So there are two gatekeeper attachment points there that can be used to anchor the bag to the frame and compress it for day loads or other configurations as needed. Hope this helps visualize it a little better.

47c150b9ed3c8ce6d758f60031078e88.jpg

cb722e3dc0730902c143ea4913383dec.jpg

Josh,

I too am really considering this pack as my one do it all pack. Being very new to pack terminology I am trying to determine if this pack has the straps or fabric "shelf" under the bottom of the bag so you could place your tent, or a sleeping pad, or a wet tarp, etc to the bottom of the frame. The SO website looks like they call it a load shelf on the Unaweep and it appears to be a flap of nylon fabric that can be extended away from the bottom of the pack frame to carry items externally that you do not want inside the pack. Thanks.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Josh,

I too am really considering this pack as my one do it all pack. Being very new to pack terminology I am trying to determine if this pack has the straps or fabric "shelf" under the bottom of the bag so you could place your tent, or a sleeping pad, or a wet tarp, etc to the bottom of the frame. The SO website looks like they call it a load shelf on the Unaweep and it appears to be a flap of nylon fabric that can be extended away from the bottom of the pack frame to carry items externally that you do not want inside the pack. Thanks.
It has loops to connect the straps or the fabric. We use gatekeepers so you can move them .. but the loops are in place, and the fabric piece comes with it as well (But most use that as a meat shelf essentially behind the bag on the frame .. but you can move it around)

this thread was very helpful. i had my choices narrowed between the Lanner and Peregrine..... this thread demonstrated the size of the Lanner very well.... hard to gauge on the SO website.

my first impression was the Peregrine was the bag for me, and that seems to be the case.... i think the Peregrine will be the perfect fit. the Lanner is a sweet bag though.... if i have a need for more bag capacity in the future, it will be an easy choice

thanks to all those that added to this thread.