Seek Outside LBO+Vestibule

CAH

FNG
Could anyone explain the packed size roughly of the LBO and vestibule? I really like the looks and weight of this setup for a 1-2 man shelter but can't seem to find a good size comparison of the packed size. Is it a solid backpacking option? Also, how does it hold up to snow? I will be hunting mid-late october and am needing a good backpacking tent.

Thanks in advance.

Connor

LandYacht

WKR
A picture is worth a thousand words...

a9268b6f2177d99305c6dd9998860eee.jpg

That’s a base and vestibule in the attached stuff sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CAH
OP
C

CAH

FNG
A picture is worth a thousand words...

a9268b6f2177d99305c6dd9998860eee.jpg

That’s a base and vestibule in the attached stuff sack.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Have you had it out in snow? How did it hold up?

LandYacht

WKR
I’ve had the base/tarp combination in snow. It’s not a traditional setup, but it is one of my favorites as it allows me to keep the tarp open unless weather gets crazy and then I lower the tarp and stake it like it’s a vestibule.

That being said, it did just fine in about 8” of snow. Snow slid down the sides and began to build up along the bottom. It did start to climb the sides and weigh down the whole structure, but nothing adverse came of it. The stitching and silnylon looked just fine, just took the stretch out of the sides and placed it on the ground basically. Could change if you had a couple of feet piled on it, my guess is the trekking pole would collapse before the shelter.

The base/tarp combination doesn’t pitch as tight as the base/vestibule, so I’d expect better performance with the base/vestibule. I’ve never had the base/vestibule in snow, but it does just fine in the rain. The higher you pitch it, obviously the steeper the sides, but smaller foot print.

I’ve used all the combinations and have been pleased with them all. My least favorite is the base/base because it leaves one storm flap flapping in the wind if you don’t get the orientation correct to be leeward with the flap.

Thank you for the thread CAH and the info LandYacht. I have been pondering the LBO and had a few questions when I found your thread. I’ll ask here and maybe we can get the info together.

Would a guy 6’2” fit comfortably sleeping across the base? It is listed as 98” but what is it 16” up the sloped wall? Will size 12 feet on 3” pad be rubbing the wall with sleeping bag?

LandYacht

WKR
Width wise is my least favorite floor plan, as you are right with your concerns of enough space. I run a bivy and while there is technically enough space, I feel confined compared to sleeping length wise.

My buddy and I are both 6’ and he sleeps width wise on a BA pad that has to be pushing 4” thick. He guys out his side of the tarp to get enough head room.

This was in base/tarp/base mode.

With the base/vestibule, I like the length wise setup better because each person has their own door. By yourself, you have a bigger area that will allow you to have a small chair setup as well. Pretty nice to have a chair (Alite Mayfly) and cooking stove going inside your tarp.

Thank you for that reply. I am on a thick BA pad as well and was thinking it might be a bit tight. Your confirmation is what I wanted to know. Thanks again.

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about your height. When I use the shelter solo I sleep 90 degree off of how you are describing but when using the shelter with my girlfriend she prefers a floor and bug net so we sleep "across the base" I sleep closest to the wall and while it is snug for a tipi, it's not a big issue. I would compare it to an ultralight tent.

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
...and sleeping solo across the base is not a problem at all in my opinion. Just not as spacious as 90 degrees from it

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the thread CAH and the info LandYacht. I have been pondering the LBO and had a few questions when I found your thread. I’ll ask here and maybe we can get the info together.

Would a guy 6’2” fit comfortably sleeping across the base? It is listed as 98” but what is it 16” up the sloped wall? Will size 12 feet on 3” pad be rubbing the wall with sleeping bag?

I’ve only spent around 10 nights in my LBO, and I’ve slept both ways. At 6’3, I haven’t had any real issues. My feet do touch the sides a little more when sleeping across the base though. I’ll usually put my head at the base with my feet stretched out to the vestibule.

Thanks for further insights guys.
I'm trying to decide between the LBO and the Silvertip. Sleeping across the base would likely happen only when I wanted to us the base only (as an open tarp). When there is going to be weather I would add the vestibule and sleep across with head in base and feet in vesty. 98% of the time I would be solo.
Sounds like a personal choice based on Silvertip price and LBO versatility rather than usable space.

mt100gr.

WKR
I owned a vestibule for my LBO for a season but never used it. Id always reach for the double-base configuration. Early season we have had 3 in it in relative comfort with minimal gear. Later in the year it's comfortable for 2 with more gear and weapons. I own the base-tarp-base so that option is available. If I was buying just for myself 98% of the time, I think the base and vestibule would be perfect - I did set mine up a time or two to play with.

I also very much enjoy using the bases alone in the early season when I don't need to be fully enclosed. Even when there are a couple of us, it's nice to have our own shelters.20180917_154453.jpg

Last edited: