Seek Outside or Kifaru for Bowhunting/Meat Hauling

I'm looking to upgrade packs. I whitetail hunt and want something that I can carry my gear/clothes. I hunt mostly alone so I need to be able to pack out the boned out meat. I'm not making overnight hunts. My main gear consists of climbing sticks and a small platform (saddle hunter), or a seat for ground hunting.

I've been looking for a year now at packs. I like the looks of Kifaru stuff but they are also heavy. The Nomad 2 on a tactical frame is almost or at 6lbs.

Seek outside has recently caught my eye, but other than the Merlin, their packs are noisy. I even called them and was told that the xpac material isn't good for bowhunting. I've read where other people have used bags from other companies like Kuiu with Seek Outside but not sure how they're attaching them.

Would love some input from you guys...thanks!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m not sure who on our side is saying that ( about Xpac not working for archery ) considering we have people on staff that have killed elk with archery gear wearing seek outside Xpac backpacks .

In my opinion , they really are not louder than Cordura until it is freezing and then it’s louder accessing the bag. Most of it is technique

We will have a larger pack for day hunting (about 2300) coming out . It is setup to be an effective tree stand pack . The plan is that it also pairs with another bag to work well for backpacking / Basecamp setup as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was archery hunting (recurve actually) whitetails from a treestand yesterday with one of our packs.

Pack fabric noise is largely overblown. Here's what I normally do....I walk in a good distance, so I wear light layers and put everything in my pack so I don't get sweaty walking in.

When I get to my tree I suit up with harness, add a down sweater plus a wool overlayer up top before getting settled. If it's really cold I throw on some boot blankets with handwarmers after I'm seated and maybe a layer of puffy pants.

After that, the only reason I need in my pack is for food, a drink, or maybe a book or something. I can get to all that in an exterior pocket on a pack like the Peregrine, so after I'm in the tree there is NO noise from the pack.

X-Pac is louder than cordura when it's cold, when you are manipulating the fabric. Much like a new $20 vs an old $20, the crinkle largely goes away with wear and use as it breaks in. When you're walking through brush and stuff is scraping the pack, X-Pac is exactly as loud as cordura, because the face fabrics are either pack cloth or cordura. The crinkle from manipulating comes from the waterproof laminate which is not an issue while the pack is worn.

The noise issue on SO is a non-issue as a SO pack owner. Try the Perigrene and don't look back. Such a functional pack that rolls down small, expands to hold more gear and is super comfortable. I can have mine opened up and loaded with meat in and on my back in about 2-3 minutes and I'm no expert. I usually stand there waiting several minutes for my partner to get his pack from another popular company setup and loaded.
The frame is expandable to fit people of different sizes and allows you set your load at a height that works for your body type.
You've also got quick access to your optics and tripod with all the exterior pockets which I really like. I see something and I'm sitting down with spotter out in no time flat.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I used to have a mystery ranch crew cab, now I have a seek outside peregrine. I exclusively archery hunt and don’t have any complaints about noise. SO pack is way lighter than the MR and handles the loads I put in it way better (I regularly haul 65#).

OP
C
I was archery hunting (recurve actually) whitetails from a treestand yesterday with one of our packs.

Pack fabric noise is largely overblown. Here's what I normally do....I walk in a good distance, so I wear light layers and put everything in my pack so I don't get sweaty walking in.

When I get to my tree I suit up with harness, add a down sweater plus a wool overlayer up top before getting settled. If it's really cold I throw on some boot blankets with handwarmers after I'm seated and maybe a layer of puffy pants.

After that, the only reason I need in my pack is for food, a drink, or maybe a book or something. I can get to all that in an exterior pocket on a pack like the Peregrine, so after I'm in the tree there is NO noise from the pack.

X-Pac is louder than cordura when it's cold, when you are manipulating the fabric. Much like a new $20 vs an old $20, the crinkle largely goes away with wear and use as it breaks in. When you're walking through brush and stuff is scraping the pack, X-Pac is exactly as loud as cordura, because the face fabrics are either pack cloth or cordura. The crinkle from manipulating comes from the waterproof laminate which is not an issue while the pack is worn.

thanks, that's exactly how I do it too with walking in.

OP
C
I used to have a mystery ranch crew cab, now I have a seek outside peregrine. I exclusively archery hunt and don’t have any complaints about noise. SO pack is way lighter than the MR and handles the loads I put in it way better (I regularly haul 65#).

I've been looking at that one. The weight is what's drawn me to these packs. Everything else is at least a few pounds heavier

OP
C
The noise issue on SO is a non-issue as a SO pack owner. Try the Perigrene and don't look back. Such a functional pack that rolls down small, expands to hold more gear and is super comfortable. I can have mine opened up and loaded with meat in and on my back in about 2-3 minutes and I'm no expert. I usually stand there waiting several minutes for my partner to get his pack from another popular company setup and loaded.
The frame is expandable to fit people of different sizes and allows you set your load at a height that works for your body type.
You've also got quick access to your optics and tripod with all the exterior pockets which I really like. I see something and I'm sitting down with spotter out in no time flat.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks...I like the looks of this pack I just which the two pockets on top had a little more organization inside for smaller items instead of having to just dump them into one bigger pocket. So far it looks like this may be my best option.

I'm also looking at just the frame, merlin, and guide lid

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Peregrine with a guide lid has all the compartments I’ve needed for organization. Small stuff goes in lid and zippered pockets on the pack, layers and food go in the pack bag and fold up decoys go between the pack and the frame. That’s for day hunts. Also plenty of room for multi day trips in September.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely interested in the new 2300 bag coming out.
I use the Goshawk 4800 for spot and stalk mulies, never been a problem for me.
I always drop it for the last bit of the stalk anyways, material noise has never been a problem for me.
The two giant water bottle pockets on the side work perfect for a spotter and tripod instant access. Its a great bowhunting bag!

wesfromky

WKR
You should take a look at the new stryker pack from Kifaru that will be released early December. I have been using a 22mag with a sherman pocket the last couple seasons, but will probably buying one of the new packs - it is just setup perfectly for carrying meat, bulky layers, and/or sticks/stands/platforms. You can see a preview on Arons or Kifarus instagram or the Kifaru insiders FB page.

brsnow

WKR
The peregrine has small pockets on the back panel that I used for smaller stuff, the lid if needed also has an additional pocket inside.

My wife and I were archery hunting for mulies in thick country last weekend. Cold temps, lots of miles. I had on a Stone Glacier, she was wearing an SO. There was no difference in noise going through the thick stuff, if anything she was quieter than I was. SO is fine for archery hunting....or anything else that requires a pack. I used a Goshawk for most of September archery elk, never had an issue with it being any noisier than other pack brands. After being caught in several nasty rainstorms I really appreciate the X Pac.

The crinkle from manipulating comes from the waterproof laminate which is not an issue while the pack is worn.

Hi, so does this laminate retain its water repellent properties with such wear? I'm new to XPac and having such water resistance inherent to a pack is a pretty sweet deal if it's legit...

I added the lid for small items and snacks with fire starting materials in a little waterproof bag inside the lid.
There's a couple zippered pockets in the back for other items that you want quick access to as well.
The other cool feature is the full side zip so you can just dive into the side of the main compartment to grab items quickly. I use the side zipper a lot to grab my puffy or less frequently used/larger items in the main bag. You can open the side zipper from the bottom or top.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi, so does this laminate retain its water repellent properties with such wear? I'm new to XPac and having such water resistance inherent to a pack is a pretty sweet deal if it's legit...

Yes, the fabric is waterproof to 200+ psi, and the laminate lasts for the life of the fabric. You can read more - https://seekoutside.com/blog/xpac/

Mnmike

FNG
My wife and I were archery hunting for mulies in thick country last weekend. Cold temps, lots of miles. I had on a Stone Glacier, she was wearing an SO. There was no difference in noise going through the thick stuff, if anything she was quieter than I was. SO is fine for archery hunting....or anything else that requires a pack. I used a Goshawk for most of September archery elk, never had an issue with it being any noisier than other pack brands. After being caught in several nasty rainstorms I really appreciate the X Pac.
I’ve been looking at both of those brands for a new pack, but here in MN there is no dealer to look at them in person, so I have been doing a lot of reading about both brands likes and dislikes from owners of them. The Goshawk is one of the packs I really have my eye on. Do you feel one brand has better craftsmanship than the other? If you could only chose one brand what would it be now that you have used both.
thanks

Phaseolus

WKR
I have archery and rifle hunted with my SO peregrine. It’s a little noisy when you are accessing the pack but as quiet as any other pack when you are moving through the woods. Having a pack with waterproof material is great, be sure to seam seal for real wet stuff. I used mine Peregrine on a 7 day backpack archery hunt, it’s a little small for that but i pack carefully. I will be getting a Lanner or custom bag for the longer hunts.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have archery and rifle hunted with my SO peregrine. It’s a little noisy when you are accessing the pack but as quiet as any other pack when you are moving through the woods. Having a pack with waterproof material is great, be sure to seam seal for real wet stuff. I used mine Peregrine on a 7 day backpack archery hunt, it’s a little small for that but i pack carefully. I will be getting a Lanner or custom bag for the longer hunts.

Peregrine was designed for 3 day hunt with a high quality hunting kit (lightweight as in the bottom was designed for a 20 degree down bag, the side pockets for spotter and tripod). Lanner was designed for a 10 day hunt with similar kit. I used the Lanner extensively this season, and it seems about spot on. Personally, I really like the Lanner, it's 3 small zippered pockets accessible from the outside were about perfect for me along with the mesh pocket and side pockets.