Seek Outside pack fitting

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I think I figured out how to get my SO frame to fit me. It hat caused back pain, even with only moderate loads, and I have stated as much on various threads. However, @roosiebull comments about trying an SO again to see if he could work out fitment got me wondering if I should try it again before selling.

Basically, I moved the frome to the second row of grommets on the belt as looking at a side profile in the mirror I noticed the lumbar curve of the frame was sitting too high. This fixed my problem. I was using a lumbar pad and the extra frame stay. Now it comfortably carries 60 pounds without either.

I will give it a shot with 120 pounds at some point. If it carries that well, I will use it in the field more. Looks like I may not have an excuse to try an SG Terminus this year.

@Kevin_t sorry for having reported an apparent user error as your product not fitting my body.

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, I think I figured out how to get my SO frame to fit me. It hat caused back pain, even with only moderate loads, and I have stated as much on various threads. However, do to @roosiebull comments about trying an SO again to see if he could work out fitment got me wondering if I should try it again before selling.

Basically, I moved the frome to the second row of grommets on the belt as looking at a side profile in the mirror I noticed the lumbar curve of the frame was sitting too high. This fixed my problem. I was using a lumbar pad and the extra frame stay. Now it comfortably carries 60 pounds without either.

I will give it a shot with 120 pounds at some point. If it carries that well, I will use it in the field more. Looks like I may not have an excuse to try an SG Terminus this year.

@Kevin_t sorry for having reported an apparent user error as your product not fitting my body.
No worries. Our frame and system have a lot of "Fit" options. Some people need it lower , based on back profile, some do not. Lumbar pads add a little "fudge factor" . We can fit almost anyone well , but what works for some doesn't work for others . I always tell people .. have a very open mind in finding your fit. Often people, have pre conceived confirmation bias based on previous experience .. or maybe just "forum chatter" .. its best to keep an open mind.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, 3 miles with 120 pounds and other than my legs reminding me I have not trained with more than 70 pounds since last summer, it was comfortable, well as far as 120 pounds can be.

I was a little heavier when I bought the pack, and the medium belt works for 60 pounds, but does not get tight enough for 120. I was able to solve that by removing the side release buckle and running the gaitkeeper straps straight across.

No lumbar pad was needed, nor did I need the 3rd cross stay. Barreling was not an issue as I could fix it with a knee before putting the pack on. I did put the 4 inch frame extensions in.

Last year, with the belt connected at the first grommet anything other than the rigid frame of a kid carrier strapped on caused unsolvable barreling, which in hindsight was because the lunbar curve was pressing into the convex curve of the lower thoracic spine.

Anyway, I am very happy as I now have a 5400 cu. in. pack with a load shelf that weighs just 67 ounces, is water proof (if I seam seal it), and can haul heavy loads comfortably.20220707_195534.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I was looking at the 2022 SO pack belts and from what is stated a medium should fit me (31 inch waste measured at the Iliac crests). However, the prior version in medium is too small (stated to have 29 inches of padded belt).

Is the sizing different between the two versions? And should I order a medium or a small?

I tried giving SO a call, but got no answer and patience does not appear to be a strong point for me today.

sndmn11

WKR
I was looking at the 2022 SO pack belts and from what is stated a medium should fit me (31 inch waste measured at the Iliac crests). However, the prior version in medium is too small (stated to have 29 inches of padded belt).

Is the sizing different between the two versions? And should I order a medium or a small?

I tried giving SO a call, but got no answer and patience does not appear to be a strong point for me today.

Are you using a lumbar pad?

@Kevin_t or @RockChucker30

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am a 30” waist and bought a large waist belt with a lumbar pad. It’s almost to big…..almost. However I had the older belt in a medium and it was to small with a lumbar pad.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I am a 30” waist and bought a large waist belt with a lumbar pad. It’s almost to big…..almost. However I had the older belt in a medium and it was to small with a lumbar pad.
Thanks, though now I'm more confused as I have a medium in the old belt and a 31 inch waste and the belt to borderline too small for heavy loads even with a lumbar pad. Without the lumbar pad it is too small.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks, though now I'm more confused as I have a medium in the old belt and a 31 inch waste and the belt to borderline too small for heavy loads even with a lumbar pad. Without the lumbar pad it is too small.

I just had a large belt pack delivered Thursday. Using a soft tailor typer tape to trace a long the top edge I get about 31.5", older than medium I get about 28.5", older than large I get about 29.5".

Hope that helps and you can measure yours for comparison.

Voyageur

WKR
Well, I think I figured out how to get my SO frame to fit me. It hat caused back pain, even with only moderate loads, and I have stated as much on various threads. However, @roosiebull comments about trying an SO again to see if he could work out fitment got me wondering if I should try it again before selling.

Good informative post @Marbles
I had similar fitting problems with my SO pack when I first got it. After talking with customer service and rewatching their pack fitting videos I discovered my errors. Fits great now.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Got through to SO this morning. I realized that the time difference was 2 hours, not 1 like I was thinking, which I why I did not get an answer Friday.

Ryan was very helpful, and because I am between belt sizes, I will try both a small and a medium to see which one works in the Spectra belts.

If I remain between sizes, I can use the lumbar pad to get the medium belt to fit (which works with my current belt). However, as it is comfortable without the lumbar pad, I might just continue to remove the side release buckle and run the gatekeeper straps straight across if that is the case, instead of adding another component. I will have to play with it.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The new ultraPE belts are the same size as the other belts using a single 1in side release buckle.

The small is too small (does not wrap around the front of my iliac crests), so I will continue using the medium and just run the gate keepers straight across when carrying heavy loads

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, did 3 to 4 miles with over 100 pounds in a very awkward load; 4 year old in a kid carrier strapped to the frame, 35 pounds of meat strapped to that, and pack bag with camp behind that. The frame did well, so I can see this becoming my go to pack.
20220905_134549.jpg