Seek Outside packs

Rokwiia

WKR
Thought I would post pictures of my new Gila and existing Fortress 6,300. Took the Gila backpack out for its maiden voyage today. It carried like a dream. All the weight was on my hips with no weight pulling down on my shoulders. That included a very heavy revolver in a chest pack that was docked to the backpack. Docking allows the chest pack to be weightless even though it held gear plus a 47oz revolver and eight .454 Casull rounds. The weight is transferred to the backpack.

Their 4-way forward pull mechanism really allows you to dial in the belt. If carrying all day long, you can readjust the backpack quickly to have more of the weight on your shoulders giving your hips a break. That way, at day's end, neither your shoulders nor hips feel overused. It's a keeper and I'm already looking at ordering a different-sized bag. Remove the existing bag and put on the new one in a minute or two.

One feature which is fantastic is the side pocket. As you can see, a quart-sized Gatorade bottle gets lost in the left pocket which can easily fit two. They've designed the side pockets at an angle so you can reach back on the fly, easily grab the water bottle, then put it back in with ease. You don't need to be a contortionist. Finally, for comparison, on the bottom is SO's much-larger Fortess 6,300 which I've had for 3 years.

In my opinion, Seek Outside is on the cutting edge and revolutionizing this industry. The gatekeeper system used to lash things down or tighten the bag can be configured any way you want. Moreover, when carrying additional weight in the pack, you can add either 2" or 4" extenders to the frame to allow the load lifters to actually do their job. Flexibility for any condition. Finally, the weight is crazy light. The Gila on the left is only 2lbs 10oz and the Fortress on the right is 3lbs 13oz (each with cross stay removed).

Gila.jpgGila2.jpgSeek Outside Fortress 6,300 2.jpg

Last edited:

Mudd Foot

WKR
Couldn’t agree more. For me, the pack/belt design stays locked in place the best of the big makers.

Looks like your a Sage guy as well, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Gotcha. No Sage. The orange/purple cross wrap was one two custom poles I had made 25 years ago. The guy who made them had his own blanks and I don't remember the brand. The baitcaster and rod are both Lew Childre back when he owned the company.

thanks for an awesome post. i heard about seek ouyside through a co-worker,checked out the website and was hooked instanstly . im planning on getting the lbo tent and was try to decide between a kifaru or SO for a backpack. my only concern is how it handles weight and how durable the bag is .

Mudd Foot

WKR
thanks for an awesome post. i heard about seek ouyside through a co-worker,checked out the website and was hooked instanstly . im planning on getting the lbo tent and was try to decide between a kifaru or SO for a backpack. my only concern is how it handles weight and how durable the bag is .

If you do a search on both questions, you’ll find a multitude of answers that confirm the design philosophy, it’s efficacy in minimizing belt slippage which IMO is the deciding factor in load hauling comfort (second is frame height, third is pointy objects poking through the frame), the robustness of the frame, and the durability of the Xpac and Spectra fabrics versus Cordura.

If you do a search on both questions, you’ll find a multitude of answers that confirm the design philosophy, it’s efficacy in minimizing belt slippage which IMO is the deciding factor in load hauling comfort (second is frame height, third is pointy objects poking through the frame), the robustness of the frame, and the durability of the Xpac and Spectra fabrics versus Cordura.

Thank you sir

HNTR918

WKR

I go 2-4 miles on most week days with a weighted pack. I've carried 2x45lbs plates on the break away load shelf more times than I can count. It definitely feels like a lot when laying on the ground but after getting the belt and load lifters set, it carriers very nice.

With a good design, you don't need a 6 lb cordura pack to claim "durability".