Seek Outside Peregrine first impressions

RCB

WKR
Yesterday I received my order of the Seek Outside Peregrine (3500 cu in) in the mail. I thought I'd share my first impressions of fiddling and walking around with it for a few hours.

First, a bit about my circumstances. This is my first high-end hunting backpack - in fact I'm brand new to hunting this year. For the last ~9 years I've been backpacking with a North Face Terra 60L, which probably never carried a load heavier than 35 pounds. The pack served that purpose well, but after deciding the take up hunting, I decided to load test it. I put a 50 lb sand bag in the pack and walked about the neighborhood, and that was enough to learn that I needed something better for heavier loads. The frame was not large really not large enough for 50 lbs - too much weight caused the pack to sag, rendering the load bearers useless and putting too much on my shoulders (I have a 20" torso), regardless of how much I adjusted the torso length. Given that I got a good 9 years out of it (and may still have good use for it), I didn't feel too bad about an upgrade.

I mention all of this to emphasize that I can't provide any comparison between this pack and any other of the premium hunting backpack companies. My frame of reference is an old backpacking backpack that was probably around $200 new.

After much deliberation I decided on a Seek Outside Peregrine. This satisfied the most important requirements: designed to carry hunting loads, break-away functionality with load shelf, light weight, customizable. I chose them specifically because they seemed to have some clever, new (to me) ideas (e.g., waterproof bag, frame extensions), and it seemed like lots of folks on Rokslide said that their frame and suspension were very comfortable. My plan was to try out the pack and see if it was much of an improvement: if not, I'd return it.

First impressions: high quality workmanship. I really like the seemingly endless customizability: multiple frame extensions allow me to go between 24", 26", and 28" frames; floating vs. captured belt, with or without lumbar pad (haven't decided whether to keep lumbar pad yet); many possible combinations by which to run the compression straps, which are easily changed around with the gatekeeper connections; torso size adjustments; water bladder inside or outside the bag; multiple attachment points of frame to suspension. Fiddled around for a while until it felt good.

The capacity is 3500 cu, which is about 57 liters, supposedly a bit smaller than my old North Face. But to be honest the Peregrine actually feels bigger. Maybe that's the big roll top, or maybe it's just the honeymoon effect. Either way, when you add the big open side pockets, it's certainly more than I had before, at no additional weight. It's not a *big* pack, but I backpack light and intend to hunt light too. I was able to strap my rifle into the large side pockets, so no need to buy a weapon carrier (I wouldn't be able to get it out without taking off the pack, but if I'm actively hunting I'll be carrying my rifle anyway).

Next, the 50 lb load test. I tried 26" and 28" frames, and both in the bag and on the load shelf between bag and frame. I didn't get a whole lot of time to walk around, but it felt quite good - especially the 28" frame, which allowed best use of the load lifters. Glad I got both extensions (might return the 26" if 24" and 28" cover my needs). Certainly much better than the old pack, so I'm happy. Still need to experiment with the lumbar pad. There were some noises from the suspension when I made bigger movements with the heavy load - not concerning, but if it becomes a problem I'll look into it. I had read complaints about the lack of forward pull on the belt, but for me it was easy to get as tight as I wanted.

No real field test yet, but hopefully soon. If any important new findings come to light (good or bad), I'll share them with you. But for now, I'm quite impressed and intend to keep it.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Somehow I missed this thread initially, thanks for your initial thoughts, as someone who is considering an imminent purchase of a Seek Outside pack, I’m keen to see what gear, food, clothes etc you can comfortably and feasibly fit in it, I really love the look of it but I’m concerned it won’t fit enough in for some trips, any additional insights are appreciated

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Somehow I missed this thread initially, thanks for your initial thoughts, as someone who is considering an imminent purchase of a Seek Outside pack, I’m keen to see what gear, food, clothes etc you can comfortably and feasibly fit in it, I really love the look of it but I’m concerned it won’t fit enough in for some trips, any additional insights are appreciated

The Peregrine was a very purposeful design. It was designed around a high end, lightweight, modern hunting kit for 20 degree weather. That means a good 20 degree down bag, thermarest, silvertip or cimarron size tent, and a couple layers should leave enough room for 3 -5 days worth of food. Spotter and tripod go in the side sleeve pockets.

If that resembles your kit, that should be the expectation. If you use synthetic or something more bulky the space will go down

Rokwiia

WKR
Thanks RCB. Use the Perergrine in all situations where it fits your needs and if you need additional capacity you can separately buy a Fortress, Goshawk, Broadwing, or Saker bag. That's beauty of the SO system. It will fit your needs whether small, large, or BOTH.

Crusader

WKR
Any chance one of you Peregrine owners could post a picture of it full (at least the main bag, maybe even the side pockets) and on your back? I'd like to see that....

Thanks

Congrats. Absolutely love my Peregrine pack. Would love to have one with identical features but big enough for a full week.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats. Absolutely love my Peregrine pack. Would love to have one with identical features but big enough for a full week.

How many days would you get out of it hammer?

What gear are you taking?

Looking at more info on SO website with the various capacities of the main bag and pockets etc it looks like I’d have around 95L capacity if I added the top lid, so I’m thinking I’ll probably be ok with that setup.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'd rather have excess capacity and not use it as the weight penalty is almost always negligible. I have the SO Fortress 6300 and added a top lid and two belt pouches. They are an easy way to add capacity. I use them all the time and it was a good decision for me.

I think you'd be pleased with either or both of them.

How many days would you get out of it hammer?

What gear are you taking?

Looking at more info on SO website with the various capacities of the main bag and pockets etc it looks like I’d have around 95L capacity if I added the top lid, so I’m thinking I’ll probably be ok with that setup.

I have a top lid as well. Belt pouch on each side., I can easily do 4 days. Possibly 5 being smart. Main compartment is pretty good size. Side pockets swallow more than you think. I use a Luxe 3 person floorless tipi, down quilt, larger insulated air mattress. I use a msr pocket rocket 2 with a gsi cup. 3L water bladder, Sawyer filter.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I'd rather have excess capacity and not use it as the weight penalty is almost always negligible. I have the SO Fortress 6300 and added a top lid and two belt pouches. They are an easy way to add capacity. I use them all the time and it was a good decision for me.

I think you'd be pleased with either or both of them.

Yes, I agree, ordinarily I’m far more inclined to go bigger capacity with minimal weight penalty, I just really like the layout of the Peregrine, I’ll no doubt end up upgrading the bag when SO end up bringing a similar style bag in a bigger capacity, but I’m going to give the Peregrine a try.

The majority of my hunts are 3 day weekends anyway so I’ll be fine for those, I’ll see how I go for longer trips if/when I do them, I guess a dry bag with food can always be slipped into the breakaway if need be, not ideal, and not how I want to run things, but can be doable for the occasional longer trip if I need to.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I have a top lid as well. Belt pouch on each side., I can easily do 4 days. Possibly 5 being smart. Main compartment is pretty good size. Side pockets swallow more than you think. I use a Luxe 3 person floorless tipi, down quilt, larger insulated air mattress. I use a msr pocket rocket 2 with a gsi cup. 3L water bladder, Sawyer filter.

I currently use an Exo 3500 gen 1 which has the attached top lid, and I generally fit everything into that, despite the fact that the lid being attached stops the proper use of the shroud, so I’m expecting the Peregrine with floating lid to offer a larger capacity than what I currently have.

I run a Blackbird hammock with tarp/underquilt, down bag, and cool kit similar to yours. I think I should be ok so long as I’m taking very compact food and don’t overpack clothes which I sometimes have a habit of doing.

Thanks for the confirmation of what gear your running.

Leebob

FNG
Considered a Goshawk with a Merlin? You would have the increased volume and similar layout with the Merlin attached. Only thing you'd really be missing is the tall side pockets, one of which you'd kinda have on the Merlin. The right hand side pocket of the Merlin will just barely swallow my 77mm Kowa angled spotter without a case. It's more than adequate for my tripod, and would probably hold a 65mm nicely.

It would be interesting to see how this combo worked. If you didn't get greedy, and stuffed the Merlin to capacity I think it would function very similar to the Peregrine back panel. Just thinkin' out loud, ;-)

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I definitely considered the Goshawk, in fact it was my ideal size but I’m coming from a bag with full length side sleeves and I find a hat I’ve come to really rely on them, same as when people have come from a side zip bag or a panel loader, it seems that when you get used to a set up and come to rely on the functionality then you don’t want to lose that functionality.

I have no doubt that SO will come to the party with a larger capacity bag with side sleeves (there seems to be a decent demand for it), and I’d expect to get one when they do.

I’m not so keen on the Merlin, not sure why, maybe because it hikes the price up, but it is something that I can always add later I guess.

Having said that I actually think that the Peregrine will do the job for probably 90-95% of my trips so while the extra space would be desirable, I can probably work around it for the occasional trip, and if I start getting out for more longer trips then I might have to re-evaluate, hopefully they’ll have a new pack offering for me by then...

Rokwiia

WKR
Why not buy the Peregrine and then also get a Fortress 4,800 bag for $179? Or a Goshawk or Fortress 6,300 bag for $199? If sleeves are a must, then buy the Brooks or Saker bag separately.

The marginal cost compared to getting a Merlin would solve your problems as you'll have the Peregrine for most excursions and the high-capacity bag when needed. For a hair over $100, you can have the Brooks bag compared to separately buying the Merlin and for a hair over $140 you can have the Saker bag over the Merlin. It's your money but given the marginal difference in price, there's no question what route I'd go.

I have the Fortress 6,300 and may separately get a Peregrine bag.

Last edited:

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I think I will definitely take your advice and get the bigger capacity bag too when finances allow, seems like it will cover all the bases.

OP
R

RCB

WKR
Folks,

OP here, with some updates. In short, I've dome some backpacking and shooting with the pack, and I'm very pleased with it.

On the negatives side: I found that the frame of the backpack would sometimes make contact with my tailbone area while hiking, if the pack was sufficiently loaded, and without the lumbar pad. I never experienced any serious discomfort, but I decided not to take any chances. Using the lumbar pad solves the problem just fine. Another possibility was the raise the frame of the back relative to the hip straps (via the loop-around method SO describes), but I felt then the curvature of the frame didn't quite match comfortably with my back. This might not be an issue for most people.

Small thing: the top of the frame sticks ends as two distinct bars. I found that I could loop a rifle strap around either one of those bars, which makes for a pretty solid hands-free carry. The V-shaped nook at the top of the pack also makes for a nice sitting/kneeling rifle rest - I will very likely use that position in the field.

I've carried water bladders both on the inside and on the outside (in the mesh pocket) of the pack. Easy to attach in both cases. The inside makes for better weight distribution, but the outside is nice if you're worried about the bladder failing and getting your gear wet.

I don't know how it compares to other high-end packs, but I'm still quite impressed with the modifiability of the SO system. Here's how I make sense of it:
1. The frame-to-hip strap adjustment determine where the *frame* rides relative to your *body* (well, hips specifically). Depending on torso length and personal preference, you might want it higher or lower. I'm 5'10" and skinny, and I like how it came: the higher of the two loops (but not the wrap-around option which takes it higher; I could imagine this would work for taller folks).
2. The frame length adjustments (24 / 26 / 28 in) determine where the *pack* rides relative to the *frame*, since the pack essentially "hangs" from the top (strapped down, of course). Generally, higher frame (but not too high) for heavier weight. I've mostly stuck with 26 in for lightweight backpacking. I suspect I'll make use of the 28 in during hunting season.
So the combination of #1 and #2 (hip-to-frame and frame length) therefore determine the location of the *pack* relative to the *body*.
3. Then there's the adjustable torso-length, determining how high shoulders straps are relative to hips. I adjust this to get the straps to make contact with my shoulders when the pack has a decent load in it - but without any pressure, so the weight is primarily on the hips. That adjustment changes slightly depending on frame length, frame attachment point, etc.

So with all these, seems like you can dial a good fit on just about anyone. Of course, there are the intangible factors that you can't quite adjust (exact shape from frame, straps, etc.), so you should always try a few different companies before you decide.