Seek Outside Redcliff vs 8 man Tipi

McFarmer

FNG
I have been searching the forums but can't quite find a solid answer. Long story short, I have been looking hard at the Redcliff vs 8 Man tipi for backpack/ base camps hunts. Neither will never be used solo, so the weight would be split between at least two guys. While I understand that both are pretty large for packing in a few miles and finding a flat spot for such a foot print can be tough, being that I 6’3”, I really enjoy my standing room and a place to hang when the weather goes south. I tried to love the Cimmaron but felt like I was in an MRI machine. Once you add in a stove and nest, there isn’t much room for another or to hand clothes to dry out hence why I am looking for something bigger. Right now, I am leaning towards the 8 man tipi for the sake of versatility as it can also be pitched as a 6 man to lesson the footprint. I am curious to see if anyone else here packs in an 8 man tipi and regrets their purchase.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used both. Prefer the Redcliff because the liner can be tightened more effectively and the size is ideal for 2-3 guys with or without the stove.

Saves about 3 lbs in weight between the two styles

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I should have added that I'm 6' and my hunting bud who owns the 8-man (Kifaru) is 6'1" and he prefers the 8-man for the extra center height over my Redcliff.

OP
M

McFarmer

FNG
I should have added that I'm 6' and my hunting bud who owns the 8-man (Kifaru) is 6'1" and he prefers the 8-man for the extra center height over my Redcliff.
This is the primary reason why I am looking hard at the 8 man. While I'll be packing a couple extra pounds, it does have more standing room by quite a bit. While I could stand in the Redcliff, it would be next to the pole and stove pipe only.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I own an 8 man and my hunting partner a redcliff. If you're planning on packing it on your back, I'd go redcliff. I'm 6'2 and felt there was enough room to stand and put your pants on etc. Youre pretty tight to the pole but its manageable. It's plenty comfortable with two sleeping on the ground on either side of the pole. He has the lite version, so the stove jack is right behind the pole rather than either side, which i think is better.

The 8 man is pretty big which is nice for standing room, but the footprint is huge, so I'd worry about finding spots to set it up. I'd say it's overkill for two in the backcountry, but makes a nice truck camp. Also, if it rains, or you get a bunch of condensation inside, all that silnylon absorbs a ton of moisture and it gets super heavy. I can't put an actual number on it, but we were in a snowy winter camp a couple years ago, and between the snow and condensation, the fly and liners had to weigh 15+ pounds, and didn't pack down very well. It was a truck camp, but I wouldn't want to have to put that on my back for any distance.

AK_Chuck

FNG
Im a fan of the Redcliff for its slightly square shape that makes it way easier/faster (at least for me) to pitch. Ive had a Redcliff for about 5 seasons now and this past year I was on a trip with a group that had an 8 man and I felt it was more of a pain to setup solo. If you use trees or treking poles to guy out the Redcliffs sides you can get a whole bunch of extra usable space if needed.

8 man standing is nice but I can pitch the Redcliff almost twice as fast. The 8 man was a beast for me to setup but Redcliff is super easy.

The redcliff is amazingly quick and easy to setup by myself. Its perfect for 2 with a stove and 3 would be fine too. I really do love that tent. However, if standing room is what you're after, you won't really get it. I'm 5'8" and I feel the redcliff is just tall enough for me to have the couple square feet I need to change while standing.

The Redcliff won't give the standing room, but it's probably more weight (and cost?) efficient to get the Redcliff and then string a flat tarp out somewhere to stand. The flat tarp could be a cheap silpoly even, lighter and more compact.

Slugz

WKR
Redcliffe is great for two and a stove. It has a modest enough amount of space for gear. I've found though not enough.

See our camp below. We ran two DST tarps for gear storage out of the rain.

I have since gone to running a Redcliffe and a 8 man Tipi that covers all scenarios we need.

With gear storage in bad weather in mind I would suggest going bigger that what you think.

IMG-20230920-WA0036.jpg

One thing I would add is that with either option, I would lean towards something made with Dyneema. That sil-nylon seems to stretch a lot when it gets wet. It seems like in the Redcilff I've used, it feels like half the volume of the tent goes away after a couple days of rain. And the condensation can be really bad too - even with a stove going pretty good.

Slugz

WKR
Ill add, if anyone wants to PM me with questions I'd be glad to help. I run the above for 30 days in the Flat Tops at 11000 ft for pretty much the whole month of July. While fishing/hiking is our main goal, I use that trip to test the heck out of gear I take to Alaska.

IMG_20200102_091325_514.jpg

OP
M

McFarmer

FNG
I wouldn't trust Dyneema if your life is on the line. Hail will tear it up. It's not that hard to walk around your tent and adjust your taut-line hitches.
I like the idea of Dyneema (weight savings) but the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me price wise as it is more than double.

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Sil Nylon Gets the job done. Dyneema is like a Ferrari... Its awesome but once you get onto a dirt road it has some limitations lol.