Seek Outside Short Tail / Peregrine thoughts?

Bmg828

FNG
Looking for some real world info. Mostly do ground blind or lock on with sticks, and every once in a while I haul my climber in. Also will be doing week long trip next year to Co, for archery elk. Pros or cons to both, got camp / food lined out from extended river camping trips and will be using something similar to the Kifaru camp bag.

Last edited:

Dvl_Doc

FNG
Looking for some real world info. Mostly do ground blind or lock on with sticks, and every once in a while I haul my climber in. Also will be doing week long trip next year to Co, for archery elk. Pros or cons to both, got camp / food lined out from extended river camping trips and will be using something similar to the Kifaru camp bag.
I’m having the same dilemma. I wanted the short tail to use in conjunction with kuiu dry bags for spike camping. Unfortunately, it’s no longer available and the peregrine seems a tad cavernous without internal organization for small day hunt equipment such as stove, knives, game bags, headlamps and the like. I’d also considered the SG Avail 220.

Thoughts?

Pmringer

WKR
I use the Peregrine and have the Merlin daypack. I regularly use my Peregrine for stand and layers in SE Indiana and don't find it too big. Internal organization is overrated and ultimately limits a bag a bit. Cinches down nice and with the Merlin I can pack it small and expand storage. Peregrine is a great pack that work as a day pack or a lean 5-7 day pack.

Fedster

FNG
I have the original peregrine. I think it is smaller then the current one, it forces discipline in packing. It is good enough for a day hike/hunt/whatever -- my smaller version is probably limited to a 3 days if you are well organised. I also have the discontinued day talon as compression, which increses versatility. I have hauled massive weights with it -- cannot say I am up to that gracefully, but the pack was fine.

OP
B

Bmg828

FNG
Thanks for the input, I actually wrote
The post off and figured I wouldn’t get a reply 🤷🏻‍♂️ Then I stumbled into a little deal at work. Guy got an Eberlestock M1 for his rifle hunt this year and it just didn’t fit him and went a different route so I was able to get it for a steal. I’m currently working on a boot leg (DIY) Stryker xl style bag that will zip to the frame using their zip on system. No complaints from me on fit and load hauling, It can deff haul more than I can. I’m the weak link not the frame. So for a
First out west trip it will do, if this turns into a regular thing, the peregrine is on the wish list.

i would get the peregrine over the short tail, it cinches down so small, and is so light there is really no downside to having the extra room. the external pockets organize the normal stuff, main bag carries the bigger stuff/stuff you won't access regularly. i clipped a base talon inside the bag too, just for extra organization. it's a good size versatile bag

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve been using the Peregrine for two seasons now, summer backpacking, backpack hunts and day hunts. I’ve carried three elk out with it. It’s a great pack for all uses. It cinches down very small for day hunts and the zippered back pocket will keep your smaller stuff organized. I’ve done a 7 day backcountry hunt with it but you’ll have to pack carefully for it all to fit.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
The Peregrine is awesome for everything from day trips to ultra light 3-4 days. The fabric is loud, and I'm not a fan of the side zipper, I don't think I've used it once so it just adds weight and a spot for moisture to seep in. The SO frame legitimately hauls 100 lbs and does a damn good job of it.