Seek Outside Short tail vs Kifaru Stryker

Ok guys, I’ve been looking at packs for over a year, have posted here a few times, and I think I have my choices narrowed down to the Kifaru Stryker and Seek Outside Short Tail.

I’m not going to have a ton of gear: Saddle platform, sticks, basic gear like range finder, kill kit etc, ropes, then for later season layers and puffy jacket/pants. I want to be able to haul out meat.

My current pack is a Slumberjack Hone which is around 2000ci total. The main bag on it is around 12-1400ci. It’s border line too small when it gets cold though I make it work.

I like the Kifaru (plus can get a nice discount) and how clean and modular things are...also like the buckles better than SO, but the Short tail looks nice too and has a fairly roomy day bag. Also it’s about 2lbs lighter. I can’t help to think that will add up carrying it all the time and be sufficient for packing a deer out.

Please help lol

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
I got a so custom 3500 this year and absolutely love it. So adjustable you just cant go wrong. Im taller so use the 2 inch extensions always. But have the 4 inch ones for packouts. The gatekeeper buckles are so awesome. Best part is you can have 10 on your pack or 0 up to you

OP
C
I got a so custom 3500 this year and absolutely love it. So adjustable you just cant go wrong. Im taller so use the 2 inch extensions always. But have the 4 inch ones for packouts. The gatekeeper buckles are so awesome. Best part is you can have 10 on your pack or 0 up to you
Yeah I like that idea about the straps too. You can also do that similar on the Stryker. I do wonder about the noise of the fabric on the SO packs though...you think that’s an issue for bow hunting?

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
I cant comment on the Stryker but the seek packs are fantastic. The way they move with your body you just dont even notice it

OP
C
I cant comment on the Stryker but the seek packs are fantastic. The way they move with your body you just dont even notice it

I’ve read that from other people too. I really like the light weight too. Sucks that it will take 6-8 weeks though. I’d like to get it quicker

Here is a Stryker packing out a rear quarter, meat bag, head/antlers and day hunting gear. Works great!

e4bca827b10bf3e7f3e8e1734da6e957.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Here is a Stryker packing out a rear quarter, meat bag, head/antlers and day hunting gear. Works great!

e4bca827b10bf3e7f3e8e1734da6e957.jpg

Nice! Always good to put it to use! Congrats.

my dilemma is I know the Kifaru will haul great but I’ll also be carrying about 2.5lbs more with the pockets I’d want added. The seek outside is just so light and with deer probably being the only thing I’ll pack out, I think it would handle it fine. I also like Kifarus attachment points like the molle

Nice! Always good to put it to use! Congrats.

my dilemma is I know the Kifaru will haul great but I’ll also be carrying about 2.5lbs more with the pockets I’d want added. The seek outside is just so light and with deer probably being the only thing I’ll pack out, I think it would handle it fine. I also like Kifarus attachment points like the molle

I have been using Kifaru packs and frames since 2012 so I am a bit biased. In that time I have had only one buckle break and they replaced it. None of the zippers have stopped working and the packs/pockets have never had a rip. Plus when you put it on in day mode you forget it is there. I am not an ounce counter and put more emphasis on function, durability and comfort under heavy load.

I have no experience with seek outside packs but i have had a couple of their tents and tarps. They make good stuff but I had a zipper fail on a tent.

Kifaru American made is a bonus. Not sure on SO.

OP
C
I have been using Kifaru packs and frames since 2012 so I am a bit biased. In that time I have had only one buckle break and they replaced it. None of the zippers have stopped working and the packs/pockets have never had a rip. Plus when you put it on in day mode you forget it is there. I am not an ounce counter and put more emphasis on function, durability and comfort under heavy load.

I have no experience with seek outside packs but i have had a couple of their tents and tarps. They make good stuff but I had a zipper fail on a tent.

Kifaru American made is a bonus. Not sure on SO.

I believe seek outside is American made too. I’m not an ounce counter either but 2.5lbs is quite a few ounces haha. I like the Kifaru and am leaning that way

tdot

WKR
IMO either bag is going to work for what you are asking for, each has strengths and weaknesses. But whatever you end up with, you'll make it work.

Now the frames are significantly different, and that's what I would suggest you focus your decision on. I've packed heavier loads on my Seek frame (125+ pounds) then I did on my Kifaru (max 115 pounds or so), the Seek was more comfortable for me. I've also found the Seek to be significantly more comfortable when loaded with light loads. It also moves so much better with my back, that I find it less tiring over long hikes. The Seeks biggest failure is that it simply feels light/flexible when handling it, so it doesn't instill confidence in the same way the Kifaru pack does, however I've never had a failure with 100's of miles hiked and a number of mountain hunts, so I now trust it as much as my Kifaru.

I'd say I like the stock Gatekeeper straps about 80% of the time. I've modified the 2 most heavily used straps to include quick release buckles and now I'd bump that up
to 95%. I installed Gatekeepers on my Kifaru I like them so much.

If you've spent a year looking at the packs, what's another 6 weeks? Especially if you'll be keeping this pack for along time.

texag10

WKR
It's not the shorttail packbag, but I like my SO fortress setup so much that I use it for any hike where I'm carrying more than a nalgene. Super comfy with light loads and had no issue packing out a bull elk solo (albeit only 1.5m from the truck).

I'm a big fan of the xPac fabric SO uses (I know kifaru offers it on the muskeg line). I seam sealed mine and it might as well be a drybag other than the zippers.

when it all boils down, 2.5 lbs isnt a drastic amount of weight. do some leg work outs a few times a week and youre golden. Id go with Kifaru but I am biased.

brsnow

WKR
when it all boils down, 2.5 lbs isnt a drastic amount of weight. do some leg work outs a few times a week and youre golden. Id go with Kifaru but I am biased.
2.5lbs is a lot, what improvements over SO do you get for close to double the weight?

I am in the process of making my seek outside frame into a mobile "hang and hunt" or saddle hunting whitetail pack. My stone glacier gets western hunt duty and I intend to keep it smellin like dead elk too much for midwest whitetail use. I have two seek outside Xpac bags already and I'd rather be uncomfortable and use my cheap Alps outdoors pack than be comfortable with the weight on a seek frame but have an Xpac bag. So between the 2, id choose the styker based solely on noise. Xpac might not be a big difference in noise while walking and brushing against stuff but it is when you're opening/closing and pulling stuff out, especially when it's cold.

What I'm going to do is use the seek revo frame with a multicam merlin (cordura) day pack. Small things can go in the bag and my platform, sticks, and bulky cold weather gear (first light sanctuary bibs/parka, boot blankets) will get compressed between the merlin and the frame.

I prefer the seek outside frame but the stryker is definitely more refined for this purpose.

OP
C
I am in the process of making my seek outside frame into a mobile "hang and hunt" or saddle hunting whitetail pack. My stone glacier gets western hunt duty and I intend to keep it smellin like dead elk too much for midwest whitetail use. I have two seek outside Xpac bags already and I'd rather be uncomfortable and use my cheap Alps outdoors pack than be comfortable with the weight on a seek frame but have an Xpac bag. So between the 2, id choose the styker based solely on noise. Xpac might not be a big difference in noise while walking and brushing against stuff but it is when you're opening/closing and pulling stuff out, especially when it's cold.

What I'm going to do is use the seek revo frame with a multicam merlin (cordura) day pack. Small things can go in the bag and my platform, sticks, and bulky cold weather gear (first light sanctuary bibs/parka, boot blankets) will get compressed between the merlin and the frame.

I prefer the seek outside frame but the stryker is definitely more refined for this purpose.
That's exactly my concern...I'm not worried about noise against brush, but if it's loud during the cold, that could be a problem. I mean it's not always 20 degrees here in Alabama but it does get cold. I tend to have to get into my pack several times during a hunt...either for food or something. I also use my pack to lean my knees against using my saddle so I don't have to wear kneepads. So crinkling sound is definitely a concern.