Seek Outside Short tail vs Kifaru Stryker

OP
C
2.5lbs is a lot, what improvements over SO do you get for close to double the weight?
It's quite a bit to me too...I mean yeah I can carry 2.5 lbs extra....Im in decent shape but I don't train...so lightening a load will no doubt give me more energy to walk further in a days hunt

That's exactly my concern...I'm not worried about noise against brush, but if it's loud during the cold, that could be a problem. I mean it's not always 20 degrees here in Alabama but it does get cold. I tend to have to get into my pack several times during a hunt...either for food or something. I also use my pack to lean my knees against using my saddle so I don't have to wear kneepads. So crinkling sound is definitely a concern.

You would be disappointed with xpac for that purpose. Not a doubt in my mind.

The other (and cheaper) option that lots of folks use for whitetail hunting is the mystery ranch pop up. I doubt it would haul 80# as comfortably as the two frames you're looking at but i bet it'd do fine.

OP
C
You would be disappointed with xpac for that purpose. Not a doubt in my mind.
Yeah I agree....I just watched the video on their lid...man that material is noisy. I like the Merlin and it would likely work for me but I would still need a little more room during the winter and also want a little more organization

brsnow

WKR
Yeah I agree....I just watched the video on their lid...man that material is noisy. I like the Merlin and it would likely work for me but I would still need a little more room during the winter and also want a little more organization
You can order in spectra or same material as Merlin. I use both a Merlin and xpac bag and hear no difference in the field.

I love my SO frame and XPac bag, but as described the XPac is indeed loud in the cold which it is most of deer season here in New Hampshire. I also purchased a multi-cam Merlin to give that a try. I’ll fool around with ideas to enhance organization...

Don't worry about the durability of either pack. Ive owned and hunted with alot of Kifaru packs and bags and have seen them blow out just like other companies.
2.5 lbs of pack weight is alot . When you actually get the pack and put everything on it the weight difference will be even greater. Kifaru packs and pouches are heavy. There is a big difference in what what a pack system actually weighs and what your items weigh. Not to mention the bulk and size of a heavier system which you will notice if you travel on airlines , rafts , etc. I used to use my Kifaru bikkini frame when i hunted out of the country because of its weight savings and packability.
As everyone here has mentioned X pac is louder than cordura. I would ask seek if they can make that bag in cordura as they do custom work.
The benefits of SO frame is the adjustments, weight and being able to run breakaway or integrated.
Kifaru will have a better resale value , more strap connectors and Molle.
Another option to consider is buying a SO Unaweep in grey (grey material is lighter than the green) and buying the short tail bag as the compression panel
Lots of options and you will be happy with both companies

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most of our bags are available in the custom shop using our SpectraGrid which is more quite and offers a good blend of durability and good waterproofing.

Gotta love SO for being present here. How does the Spectra compare to the Merlin Cordura in terms of sound and durability?

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I struggled between a seek outside bag and SG. I picked the SO and like it a lot. Fit and quality is exceptional. I only regret not having enough money to try both.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the short tail still available?
Not at this moment. Sales were not anywhere near other packs. Guess maybe we don't have a backpacking crowd rather than a tree stand crowd , that's ok .. though we did have a lot of Tree Stand hunters give their 2 cents in the design process.

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
I liked the idea of the short tail bag size. however, hunting in areas where your ducking under logs, brush , etc , for a bag that size would rather see it down lower on the frame like the old style peregrine rather than at the top

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I liked the idea of the short tail bag size. however, hunting in areas where your ducking under logs, brush , etc , for a bag that size would rather see it down lower on the frame like the old style peregrine rather than at the top
It can be mounted lower. Maybe that was wasn't said in the photos, but its simple . Now Lid access goes down a bit mounted lower. I think maybe a Large Merlin may be the way to go ..

I can’t speak for SO packs but I use a Stryker for my saddle setup. I put the saddle, platform and 3 short LWCG sticks on what I’ll call the cargo panel and suck that down with one compression strap. Then I’ll put my outer layers over that and fold the bag over it. I just had my brother put this zipper in so I can take the bag up the tree and leave the frame and panel on the ground.

Attachments

• 92F597D1-644E-4012-B080-660ED0C3C1DF.jpeg
    92F597D1-644E-4012-B080-660ED0C3C1DF.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 26
  • B6DBABD9-127E-4F42-AF2B-1E393DE792D5.jpeg
    B6DBABD9-127E-4F42-AF2B-1E393DE792D5.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 26
  • FAF1BAD5-A5EE-4E5C-9962-E7D41A63DB70.jpeg
    FAF1BAD5-A5EE-4E5C-9962-E7D41A63DB70.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 26

Dvl_Doc

FNG
Not at this moment. Sales were not anywhere near other packs. Guess maybe we don't have a backpacking crowd rather than a tree stand crowd , that's ok .. though we did have a lot of Tree Stand hunters give their 2 cents in the design process.
I’d been “window shopping” for a bit myself and finally went to pull the trigger and was dismayed when I discovered that it was no longer there. Any plans to relaunch it or bring out something new/similar?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’d been “window shopping” for a bit myself and finally went to pull the trigger and was dismayed when I discovered that it was no longer there. Any plans to relaunch it or bring out something new/similar?
Possibly. Best course is to send an email to [email protected] with your desires. If nothing else maybe we can do a small run