Seek Outside Short tail vs Kifaru Stryker

IMO either bag is going to work for what you are asking for, each has strengths and weaknesses. But whatever you end up with, you'll make it work.

Now the frames are significantly different, and that's what I would suggest you focus your decision on. I've packed heavier loads on my Seek frame (125+ pounds) then I did on my Kifaru (max 115 pounds or so), the Seek was more comfortable for me. I've also found the Seek to be significantly more comfortable when loaded with light loads. It also moves so much better with my back, that I find it less tiring over long hikes. The Seeks biggest failure is that it simply feels light/flexible when handling it, so it doesn't instill confidence in the same way the Kifaru pack does, however I've never had a failure with 100's of miles hiked and a number of mountain hunts, so I now trust it as much as my Kifaru.

I'd say I like the stock Gatekeeper straps about 80% of the time. I've modified the 2 most heavily used straps to include quick release buckles and now I'd bump that up
to 95%. I installed Gatekeepers on my Kifaru I like them so much.

If you've spent a year looking at the packs, what's another 6 weeks? Especially if you'll be keeping this pack for along time.
i want to start by saying, i wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.... frame fit is so different between all of us...

i had a SO and loved everything about that pack, but it just didn't fit me.... i tried everything i could, lumbar pad, no pad, shorter torso length.... i messed with that pack from spring last year until late october... packed out a couple bulls and a few whole bucks, and my buck was a long ways out, and not a flat walk, and that was the day i finally decided the pack just wasn't going to work.... a few days later, almost the exact same walk out with my sis in law's whole buck plus all of my pack contents, just like my buck a few days prior and it was a completely different experience..... i don't know if a long hike out with over 100# on your back is ever easy, but it sure seemed easy comparing it to the same scenario a few days prior.

that is nothing against SO packs, i still highly recommend them, and know i'm an outlier, but it just didn't haul a heavy load well for me at all. buying sight unseen is always a risk when talking packs. i would never let a couple pounds steer my decision either way on a pack system..... a super light pack that doesn't fit well is gonna feel a heck of a lot heavier than a heavy pack that does fit well when it matters.

i have no experience with the duplex lite, have used some older kifaru frames, so i'm not saying any of this with any bias, i like SO packs and really wish they fit me, i wanted it to work. my go to pack is an EXO, they just fit me well.

going with the kifaru is the safer choice, in case it doesn't fit well, you can get most of your money back easily. when i sold my SO, i didn't get most of my money back and it took awhile to sell..... that is what leans me towards kifaru.

as much as i like my EXO, i have a duplex lite/reckoning on order now, knowing if i don't like it, i won't be out much by trying it. i could have just got a bigger bag for my EXO to fill the niche i need to fill, but i like testing stuff and forming my own opinions.

i think SO and kifaru are both excellent options, most people love the revolution frame, i may be the only one i know of who it didn't fit well, but i do think, buying sight unseen, kifaru is the safer choice. i also think it's crazy that some put weight high in the list of priorities when pack shopping, because unless 2 packs fit the same, weight doesn't matter, fit does..... i learned that lesson years ago buying a kuiu pack.... it was light! put some weight in it and it didn't matter how light it was, it sure didn't feel light.... the heavy, bulky, cumbersome horn hunter full curl felt a lot lighter than the kuiu when you put an elk ham in it

Dvl_Doc

FNG
Update: I got a reply from Seek Outside saying that there are no plans for bringing the Short Tail back at all anytime soon. I’m leaning toward Stone Glacier now.